• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Piano Samples Won’t Load in Gigastudio…Please Help

Share/Bookmark

Piano Samples Won’t Load in Gigastudio…Please Help

I purchased 3 piano sample libraries from SampleTekk in DVD format. The Bosendorfer 290, The White Grand, and The Black Grand Close.

When I attempt to load a GSI file into the Gigastudio MIDI mixer it begins to load but prior to completing the load I get an error. All of my other samples are working fine.

I originally got a GSDLL Error dialog box indicating “Unknown System Error” and sometimes a follow up dialog box indicating “unable to allocate the memory required to download the instrument”. Now I’m just getting an “Error when downloading instruments“ dialog box with “Unknown System Error”.

My system is tweaked with Tascam’s recommendations for XP & Gigastudio except disabling system restore and my system specs are below. I see no reason why I should be having issues. Has anyone experienced this problem?

Thank you,

Joy

System Specs:

HARDWARE
    Motherboard: Asus A8V Deluxe
    BIOS: version 1014.008
    Chipset: VIA
    CPU: AMD 64 Processor 3500+ (Speed - 2202 MHz)
    RAM: 2 GB (Corsair 2*1GB modules DDR400 2.5 CAS)
    Audio: RME HDSP 9632 (version 2.94.3 12/15/05)
    Video: NVIDIA Geforce FX 5200
    System drive C:\ - 80 GB
    Audio Drive E:\ - 600 GB
    DVD D:\ – Pioneer DVD-RW DVR109

SOFTWARE:
    Sampler: GS3 Orchestra 3.21.2390

Controller: Kurzweil K2500
    Controller: Edirol PCR-50

Re: Piano Samples Won’t Load in Gigastudio…Please Help

It sounds like the samples are corrupted. If you have another PC, you might try reading the DVD from another computer, then copy the files over the network and install them. Not all DVD readers like all DVDs.

Quote Originally Posted by JonFairhurst
    It sounds like the samples are corrupted. If you have another PC, you might try reading the DVD from another computer, then copy the files over the network and install them. Not all DVD readers like all DVDs.
    Thanks Jon. I hadn't considered that and I do have another computer that I can try this with.

All the best,

Joy

An “Unknown System Error” often -- though I'm sure not always -- results from memory issues. It isn't enough to have enough memory installed... each computer must be able to allocate the samples into the existing memory properly.

As I mentioned in the Giga subforum, I cannot load either TBO or 7CG using any of the five default Giga memory settings. NSS has plenty of SampleTekk users who have no such troubles... I realize that every computer is different and that each computer is susceptible to its own "idiosyncracies."

After trying many different combinations of values with Mattias' Memory Optimization Tool, I finally hit the number with which I was able to load both SampleTekk pianos and load just about the maximum amount of samples that can be loaded into GS3 (~1.1GB).

TASCAM does not officially approve of the use of Mattias' tool, but in my case it was the only way that I could make use of my pianos, so there we are...
    — alanb

http://alanb.org

http://www.myspace.com/arsperspicuus

Hi Joy:

First try all of the memory setting in GS3, and then after that try locking the virtual memory setting in windows XP at 1.5 times you memory size.

In my opinion the A8V Deluxe is a very picky board. I have a deluxe and a non deluxe, but I only run Cubase SX and standalones with them. My GS3 PC is a P4 (Asus P4P deluxe), and I can load any piano without any problems, but I do remember tweaking memory settings a while back to get things to load properly. I still one in a long while get a gigapulse error.

Good luck
    Dd

Hi.

GS3 might need some memory tweeks for tese large samplesets. There are some good threads about this here at the forum. Do a search for "memory management".

Good news are that when you've done them, theses large pianos plays perfectly!

Some things to check are also:

Make sure you have the latest GS3 build
    Make sure that all the instrument files, the .gig files and the .gx01 and so on, files are on the same level in the same directory.
    Worra
    SampleTekk

Arf, arf, arf...

Okay….first of all thanks again to everyone who responded to my post and made the recommendations to get me started. I didn’t anticipate taking a crash course in memory management when I purchased these 3 SampleTekk piano libs but I guess knowledge is power…right? Here is what I’ve done! Questions in blue below.

1) Gigastudio: I checked all memory configuration presets in the configuration manager and aside from the #1 XP default which resulted in 673MB (43% capacity), all others provided 1015MG (66% capacity). Libs would not load under any presets.

2) Virtual Memory: My initial settings were as follows which yielded 2046MB “currently allocated”:
    a. System drive C: - Custom size - Initial size: 2046MB and Max size: 4092MB
    b. Audio drive E: - No page filing

The tweaks I made below yielded 4092MB “currently allocated”:
    a. System drive C: - Custom size - Initial size: 2046MB and Max size: changed to 3070MB
    b. Audio drive E: - changed from “no page filing” to Custom size - Initial size: 2046MB and Max size: 3070MB

3) Registry tweaks (Thanks Mattias and those that referred me to his tools!)
    a. Tried all 5 recommended settings before changing the Virtual Memory settings and had no luck with lib loads. Giga memory tests in config mgr yielded between 219MB and 250MB (14-16% capacity).

b. After changing virtual memory (#2 above), I tried the tweaks again. My original settings were 2/20000/2/20000. I changed them to 80/8000000/0/0 which had yielded the max MB in Giga config mgr and voila….all libs loaded! I am currently getting 891MB (58% capacity) in the config mgr of Giga.

I wish the story was over with a complete and happy ending but I still need to do some tweaking because I am getting intermittent glitches/dropouts when playing my new libs.

Unlike the crackling that I get when I reach max polyphony which is currently set at 200, I get intermittent dropouts/glitches that happen 98% of the time when I’m using my sustain pedal. I’ve just started changing the latency settings in the RME 9632 from 1.5ms to 3ms to 6ms to see if that makes any difference…not noticing anything major at this point. Does anyone have additional recommendations to make these samples “sing” without the hiccups?

I confess I haven’t tested all of the config mgr presets or registry tweak settings since I was able to load the libs because when I started down that road they wouldn’t load again….I’d just like to play the pianos for a little while. Not to fear, I used my favorite XP tool “Windows restore point” to get back my “loadable” settings. I often have 100% CPU usage in the task manager processes tab when I’m loading. Is that to be expected?

Also, I have tried to The Load Optimizer tool and keep getting the following message "There are no files loading in Gigastudio.... Waiting". I have tried opening Giga first and then the load optimizer, as well as opening the load optimizer first and then Giga. I also opened the load optimizer after I initiated loading an instrument. Do you have any suggestions on I am doing wrong?

I’ll continue to do my research and thank anyone in advance for their assistance.

All the best,

Joy

Quote Originally Posted by Joy
    Unlike the crackling that I get when I reach max polyphony which is currently set at 200, I get intermittent dropouts/glitches that happen 98% of the time when I’m using my sustain pedal. I’ve just started changing the latency settings in the RME 9632 from 1.5ms to 3ms to 6ms to see if that makes any difference…not noticing anything major at this point. Does anyone have additional recommendations to make these samples “sing” without the hiccups?
    Recommendation #1... get used to that...

Heavily sustained piano will often lead to polyphony problems -- too many notes playing at once... each new note is playing over the tails of the previous notes, which have yet to fade out and stop. The "easy" problem is when this overruns your sound card's buffers... the "difficult" problem is when it overloads your CPU... The first problem, you can solve...

---------------------

Clicks and pops are often caused by setting your sound card's buffer size too low.

What are your sample rate / buffer size / samples per buffer / etc. sound card numbers?

This web page is talking about different hardware, but the concepts are applicable here, too:

http://www.motu.com/techsupport/tech...603262333/view
    What does Override Internal Buffer Size do?

The "Override Internal Buffer Size" setting is found in Performer or Digital Performer's Configure Hardware Driver dialog box when the Audio System is set to use the built in jacks on the mac. MAS defaults to an internal buffer size setting of 1024 samples per buffer. This buffer size setting can be adjusted to another setting other than the default 1024 samples. Lowering the buffer size can reduce latency on faster processors. However, the payoff of lower latency will be slower response in Digital Performer. Realistic override settings are 512 or above. Alternately, if you encounter audible pops, clicks or distortion in your audio, you may want to increase the buffer size. You do not want to set a buffer larger than the default.
    ---------------------

Does the sample rate that you've selected in Giga's Configuration Manager match the sample rate that you've selected in whatever app accompanies your sound card?

---------------------

Are you overloading your CPU? Keep an eye on the CPU meter as you load/launch/play the piano...

If you are a "play my keyboard and record my MIDI live"-type person, you can lessen these problems by working on your pedal technique... use the pedal more sparingly, raise it as quickly as you can while getting the desired sound, and work out the best position within each note for depressing the pedal in the first place.

If you're a "draw everything by hand in my DAW/sequencer"-type person, you can break up the sustain by drawing in carefully-placed breaks with your mouse.

Either way, when you "sever the notes' tails," you free up buffer space and CPU cycles, which will get rid of some-if-not-most-if-not-all of your droputs/glitches...

Quote Originally Posted by Joy
    I confess I haven’t tested all of the config mgr presets or registry tweak settings since I was able to load the libs because when I started down that road they wouldn’t load again….I’d just like to play the pianos for a little while. Not to fear, I used my favorite XP tool “Windows restore point” to get back my “loadable” settings. I often have 100% CPU usage in the task manager processes tab when I’m loading. Is that to be expected?
    Loading SampleTekk pianos is an exercise in patience... you are amply rewarded for your patience, but you should plan on avoiding your computer entirely for a few minutes as you load those beasts up. It's the perfect time to make a sandwich, go to the W.C., check your stock portfolio, make dinner plans for Thursday night, and so on...

... as long as you can see the bar graphs professing to show that the loading process is actually moving ahead, then that should be fine...

Good fun!!
    — alanb

http://alanb.org

http://www.myspace.com/arsperspicuus

Quote Originally Posted by alanb
    Recommendation #1... get used to that...

Heavily sustained piano will often lead to polyphony problems -- too many notes playing at once... each new note is playing over the tails of the previous notes, which have yet to fade out and stop. The "easy" problem is when this overruns your sound card's buffers... the "difficult" problem is when it overloads your CPU... The first problem, you can solve...

---------------------

Clicks and pops are often caused by setting your sound card's buffer size too low.

What are your sample rate / buffer size / samples per buffer / etc. sound card numbers?

This web page is talking about different hardware, but the concepts are applicable here, too:

http://www.motu.com/techsupport/tech...603262333/view
    What does Override Internal Buffer Size do?

The "Override Internal Buffer Size" setting is found in Performer or Digital Performer's Configure Hardware Driver dialog box when the Audio System is set to use the built in jacks on the mac. MAS defaults to an internal buffer size setting of 1024 samples per buffer. This buffer size setting can be adjusted to another setting other than the default 1024 samples. Lowering the buffer size can reduce latency on faster processors. However, the payoff of lower latency will be slower response in Digital Performer. Realistic override settings are 512 or above. Alternately, if you encounter audible pops, clicks or distortion in your audio, you may want to increase the buffer size. You do not want to set a buffer larger than the default.

---------------------

Does the sample rate that you've selected in Giga's Configuration Manager match the sample rate that you've selected in whatever app accompanies your sound card?

---------------------

Are you overloading your CPU? Keep an eye on the CPU meter as you load/launch/play the piano...

If you are a "play my keyboard and record my MIDI live"-type person, you can lessen these problems by working on your pedal technique... use the pedal more sparingly, raise it as quickly as you can while getting the desired sound, and work out the best position within each note for depressing the pedal in the first place.

If you're a "draw everything by hand in my DAW/sequencer"-type person, you can break up the sustain by drawing in carefully-placed breaks with your mouse.

Either way, when you "sever the notes' tails," you free up buffer space and CPU cycles, which will get rid of some-if-not-most-if-not-all of your droputs/glitches...

Loading SampleTekk pianos is an exercise in patience... you are amply rewarded for your patience, but you should plan on avoiding your computer entirely for a few minutes as you load those beasts up. It's the perfect time to make a sandwich, go to the W.C., check your stock portfolio, make dinner plans for Thursday night, and so on...

... as long as you can see the bar graphs professing to show that the loading process is actually moving ahead, then that should be fine...

Good fun!!
    Alanb,

Thanks for your speedy response and apologies for the delayed follow up. Once again, I appreciate all of your information and the comic relief so I don’t rip my hair out!

The sample rate in Giga and the RME 9632 are set at 44100.

I have been changing my buffer sizes/latencies in the 9632 to the following settings:
    64 - 1.5ms
    128 – 3 ms
    256 – 6 ms
    512 – 12 ms
    1024 – 23 ms
    2048 – 46ms (ridiculous latency but still experiencing problems)

I understand the concept discussed related to buffer size but don’t hear any major distinctions when changing between the buffer sizes/latencies. It makes me wonder whether there is some other issue(s) that I haven’t addressed e.g., BIOS or hard drive settings.

I notice that if I hold down 6 notes or so for 7 or more seconds on the SampleTekk pianos that I bought there are repetitive glitches that occur most of the time without even any use of the sustain pedal.

In the synthesizer tab in system settings it indicates the following with my current polyphony set to a max of 200:

1% of the system memory will be used for streaming samples
    99% of the system memory will be used for loading instruments

I have been watching the CPU, voices and memory levels in Giga and they are not being taxed during loading at all. When playing, my CPU levels stand at about 2% - 10% and rarely exceed 20% when hitting polyphony of 100. The memory usage with the different samples ranges from the low 20% to around 40%. The only CPU usage that is maxing out at 100% is the CPU usage in the task manager when instruments are loading.

I don’t know how to check my samples/buffer nor find my sound card numbers. Can you clarify?

Obviously I haven’t taxed my system until now because I have had no problems with any of the samples in GS3 Orchestra or others imported into my GigaDAW until now. Of course, these are larger samples but my system specs should be able to handle these libs according to the recommended specs. AAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

All the best,

Joy

BUMP....I'm still having real fun!

Go Back to forum