• Register
  • Help

Topic: Pitch bend control in VSL?

Share/Bookmark

Pitch bend control in VSL?

Hi,

Does anyone know, why my keyboard pitch bend joystick is not functioning in VSL?

FYI, I use Nuendo2 with Tascam GVI.

hc.

Re: Pitch bend control in VSL?

You have to activate it ... you find it in the map control ... I'm not in front of my studio computers but you could send an email in official VSL forum.

Hi,

Thanks for the response, but is it for the VI?.....cause I am still using the old VSL (pro edition).

hc.

HC:

If all you have is GVI, and no GS3, then you're up a creek, because you need GS Edit to implement the pitch wheel. I'm afraid I can't offer a solution, unless you can find another pro-ed user who'd be willing to make this update for you and deliver you the .gig files...(Can't imagine getting this service for free if you want every instrument in the pro-ed updated).

The wheel is left out for a reason: No orchestral instrument actuall has a pitch wheel, so why should a sample lib that attempts to realistically emulate these instruments? If you're looking to emulate a gliss or scoop-type effect, a little tweaking of the performance legato or porta/gliss patches can yeild satisfactory results. I only have opus 1, but as I've had some success with using it in this way, I'm certain there are many more options for realistic pitch manipulation in the pro-ed. However, if you're looking do do something other-worldly and un-realistic, like octave-bends with the wheel, then it seems you're stuck.

Belbin

Quote Originally Posted by belbin
    If you're looking to emulate a gliss or scoop-type effect, a little tweaking of the performance legato or porta/gliss patches can yeild satisfactory results. I only have opus 1, but as I've had some success with using it in this way, I'm certain there are many more options for realistic pitch manipulation in the pro-ed. However, if you're looking do do something other-worldly and un-realistic, like octave-bends with the wheel, then it seems you're stuck.

Belbin
    I'd be interested in hearing some of your tweaking techniques.

Quote Originally Posted by belbin
    HC:

If all you have is GVI, and no GS3, then you're up a creek, because you need GS Edit to implement the pitch wheel. I'm afraid I can't offer a solution, unless you can find another pro-ed user who'd be willing to make this update for you and deliver you the .gig files...(Can't imagine getting this service for free if you want every instrument in the pro-ed updated).

The wheel is left out for a reason: No orchestral instrument actuall has a pitch wheel, so why should a sample lib that attempts to realistically emulate these instruments? If you're looking to emulate a gliss or scoop-type effect, a little tweaking of the performance legato or porta/gliss patches can yeild satisfactory results. I only have opus 1, but as I've had some success with using it in this way, I'm certain there are many more options for realistic pitch manipulation in the pro-ed. However, if you're looking do do something other-worldly and un-realistic, like octave-bends with the wheel, then it seems you're stuck.

Belbin
    I would think the issue would not be whether any orchestral instrument "has a pitch wheel", but rather, whether pitch can be changed in real time in a way the pitch bend would aid the musician/user.

At the risk of starting a flame war, it looks like more evidence Giga/Tascam is making some substantial mistakes.

jeffn1
    For original progressive electronic rock influenced by J.S. Bach and (old) Rush, check out: www.soundclick.com/jeffreynaness.

Quote Originally Posted by jeffn1
    I would think the issue would not be whether any orchestral instrument "has a pitch wheel", but rather, whether pitch can be changed in real time in a way the pitch bend would aid the musician/user.

At the risk of starting a flame war, it looks like more evidence Giga/Tascam is making some substantial mistakes.
    First, it's up to the developer (VSL in this case) to enable the pitch wheel. If they don't, then you can use Tascam's GS3 to edit the gig file and enable it. In this case Giga comes to the rescue.

However, GVI is for playback, rather than editing gigs. In this case it's all up to the developer.

You could claim that GVI should include an editing feature, but I don't think it's a substantial mistake that it doesn't.

I would guess that the next generation of Giga will have a whole new set of features and light (Solo-like) to full (Orchestra-like) product levels. Don't ask me what they are. I have no inside info here.

Thanks.

I am curious. In VSL's new player, is it programmed for pitch bend?

jeffn1
    For original progressive electronic rock influenced by J.S. Bach and (old) Rush, check out: www.soundclick.com/jeffreynaness.

Quote Originally Posted by jeffn1
    I am curious. In VSL's new player, is it programmed for pitch bend?
    No. At least not the Appassionata Strings out of the box. The post above says that it can be enabled, but the control didn't jump out at me, and I haven't hunted it out yet.

Quote Originally Posted by JonFairhurst
    No. At least not the Appassionata Strings out of the box. The post above says that it can be enabled, but the control didn't jump out at me, and I haven't hunted it out yet.
    I can't speak for AP, but in general with VSL VI the answer is, er yes.....! There is a pitch control wheel on the VI interface.......! In order to enable it you have to do the same as all the other controllers (apart from expression, I think). Right click the GUI pitch wheel, click learn and move your keyboard pitch wheel. This is now set for use. the only thing to note is that you can only go a tone either way.

D

Go Back to forum