• Register
  • Help

Topic: How do you create modwheel crossfades?

Share/Bookmark

How do you create modwheel crossfades?

I thought this would definitely, 100% for sure be covered elsewhere in the forum... but it isn't.

I'm having trouble finding a step-by-step tutorial for this very basic functionality. I thought everybody was using modwheel crossfades these days...

I'm not asking for much. I just want the same thing everybody else wants: equal power crossfade from piano samples to forte samples, using the modwheel.

How do you do it? Examining pre-existing modwheel crossfade content has done me little good. Kontakt's editing interface is damned convoluted (and that's before you throw in the convolution...!!).

This is such a simple and common feature in modern sample libraries, I'm amazed that integrating it into non-crossfaded instruments hasn't been properly explained beforehand.

Then again, maybe it has. If I can't quickly find what I need in a forum search, I'll give up.

Oh, and by the way - I need SIPS. So I have no use for Nils' crossfade script, since they don't play nice together. I gotta make these crossfades the old-fashioned way (the bitter irony, with a perfectly good script sitting around unusable...).

Thanks,
    -Tom

Re: How do you create modwheel crossfades?

Tom,

A quick and dirty way to do this is:

Place your p and f samples in 2 different groups, stretch all samples from 0 to 127 velocity.
    Turn off "Edit All Groups" and select the p group
    In the amplifier click "Modulation", add a modulator > external sources > midi CC
    The first field should be 1 (midi cc for mod wheel)
    Do the same for the f group, but drag the slider in"Modulation" to "-100%", or all the way left

To do more complex fades (more than 3 groups or not equal power) you will need to select the button to the right of this slider and create custom curves.

Derek

Cool. Thanks.

Do those custom curves involve fading out the other groups at appropriate intervals - i.e., if there are 4 or 5 groups, you have to draw the curve at which other (softer) groups fade out as the louder groups fade in?

Makes sense. I'll screw around with it tonight.

Again, thanks. At least I now have a head start!

-Tom

Quote Originally Posted by dvincent
    To do more complex fades (more than 3 groups or not equal power) you will need to select the button to the right of this slider and create custom curves.

Derek
    And a really great tool to do this with is Nils Liberg's Table Editor - if you are on a PC.

Doing crossfades 'the oldfashioned way' by assigning CC1 to amp modulation in individual groups is also required if you are using K2's own Round Robin, since crossfade scripts break this functionality. So, when using a crossfade script, you need to assign a dedicated RR script in an earlier slot.

Making crossfades that require more then two groups is a bit tedious since you need to draw several curves. Fortunately, K2 allows you to save these as a preset. That's what I've done for 3, 4 and 5 way X-fades. Drawing and tweaking those curves is then normally only needed once
    Supermicro H8DCE, 2*285 Opterons, 16GB Ram, 3TB WD & Seagate drives, MSI 7600GS & XFX 6600GT, Emu 1820m, Thermaltake 750W PSU, watercooling by Zalman & Innovatek, Windows XP64 SP2, Cubase 4.1

Robert: I cant believe no1 has told you about the wiz of K2 crossfading: Nils Liberg.

Check this out:
    http://www.nilsliberg.se/ksp/scripts...html#crossfade

Go Back to forum