• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Black Grand: Help!

Share/Bookmark

Black Grand: Help!

OK, I finally bought this baby, and me the cynic has to admit, this is the most accurate Steinway I've ever played.

THE PROBLEM IS: Gigastudio Orchestra's green indicator light stays on after I've played a note on this instrument. Only on the Black, not on any other piano.

Why is that???

JG

Re: Black Grand: Help!

Hi John,

My suggestion is to email Sampletekk, they seem pretty helpful. I asked them a question about the Black Grand this past week and they got back to me within one day.

I don't own it yet, but I plan to, just from listening to some of those demos.

One thought, the GS3 version is 24 bit and requires 1.5gb of ram. If you don't have that much memory, maybe that's why it's locking up. That, incidentally, was why I emailed them (to see how much memory is needed), and I was told that a 16 bit version can be created relatively easily, requiring less ram.

michael

Jeeze... it never occured to me that I might have the 24 bit version. That would be relevant.... Although I DO have 2 gigs of mem, p4 and a WD 10k drive.

JG

I'll check it out. Does it play ok?
    The GS3 version is 24 bit, but you can use the Instrument Editor to downsample it to 16 bit if you want.
    Your specs should be fine for 24 bits though!
    Worra
    SampleTekk

Arf, arf, arf...

Ambient loads and plays fine. The green volume indicator light remains sort of stuck at whatever the last volume played at was. But that has no impact on the performance as far as I can tell. It's the other two samples, the close and medium ambient that won't load into GS3 (orchestra, latest version). "Unknown system error." Since ambient works fine, I'm not inclined to change the other two samples to 16 bit. It's gotta be something else.

JG

OK. Everything's cool. All perspectives working. Still have a "sticky" volume level indicator. But it doesn 't seem to affect performance.

Thanx

JG

Quote Originally Posted by JohnGrant
    OK. Everything's cool. All perspectives working. Still have a "sticky" volume level indicator. But it doesn 't seem to affect performance.

Thanx

JG
    Cool! What did you do to get them to work?
    Worra
    SampleTekk

Arf, arf, arf...

You know what? I'm not really sure. I reloaded ALL the files, and that seemed to do the trick. I'll be doing big chunks of good 'ol J. S. Bach's Well-tempered Book 2 with this sample. I've A-B'ed a couple of preludes and fugues against recordings by major labels, and I believe I can get mighty close to a completely foolproof sound with this sample. A kind of classic Steinway sound.

I'm not all that happy with my p200 Korg keyboard, however. I'm used to playing on a 5'10" Kawai, circa 1970, which has an action that is slightly heavier than a Steinway. The Korg p200 isn't the same. I tried out the Yammies, etc., and they're all pretty much comparable. One keyboard I haven't tried is a Kawai. Time permitting I may get around to that.

Cheers, and thanks for the help,

JG

Quote Originally Posted by JohnGrant
    You know what? I'm not really sure. I reloaded ALL the files, and that seemed to do the trick. I'll be doing big chunks of good 'ol J. S. Bach's Well-tempered Book 2 with this sample. I've A-B'ed a couple of preludes and fugues against recordings by major labels, and I believe I can get mighty close to a completely foolproof sound with this sample. A kind of classic Steinway sound.

JG
    Cool! I'd LOVE to hear that! I guess the fact that this Steinway has actually been recorded in a concerthall helps with the realism in this case. I guess that you probably go with the Ambient of Medium Ambient perspective!
    Worra
    SampleTekk

Arf, arf, arf...

Go Back to forum