• Register
  • Help

Topic: Full GPO, Finale 2007, Kontakt Player 2

Share/Bookmark

Full GPO, Finale 2007, Kontakt Player 2

I've been reading the Principles of Orchestration for a month or so, in conjunction with trying to learn Finale. I think I'll learn Finale much sooner than Orchestration!

I have a question about feasibility wrt GPO full version, accessed via Finale 2007 and Kontakt Player 2.

Some background: I am running on an XP system (a real workhorse, so resources aren't a problem). I have never installed any Finale verison other than 2007. I am using the original 2007 release as I've heard about stability issues with the recent upgrades. I use Kontakt Player 2 that came with Finale 2007. I don't have any other NI product except the player that came bundled with Finale 2007. Of course, I have Finale GPO, too. All of this mix of special version software for Finale 2007 is working just fine.

I am curious about full GPO, though. After some extensive reading here, I know I can install it and use it via Kontakt 1.5 (or 1.something). I also know I can use full GPO if I buy the full Kontakt 2.0, but that will mean I have to embed some midi controls in each voice to get Kontakt to respond the way it does in the Kontakt 1.5 for GPO (the one that comes with full GPO).

Can I somehow force full GPO to run in the Finale Kontakt Player 2? I recall reading during the setup of Finale and Kontakt Player 2 that only Finale GPO could run in it.

Having seen a friend's computer system running full GPO under the older Kontakt 1.5, I'm not all that impressed with Kontakt 1.5. There really doesn't seem to be a way to create a multi and save it, then reload it. It's also limited to 8 instruments, whereas Kontakt Player 2 allows 16.

Is it possible to get full GPO to run in Kontakt Player 2? If so, are the instructions included in the GPO product, or some sort of auto-install utility that looks for Finale 2007 and takes care of everything? Or am I going to have to manually edit my XP registry with a lot of tedious entries?

I'm hesitant to take the full jump into full GPO at this time because I keep reading about "any day now" there'll be a choral vocals library. That's the kind of work I'm doing with Finale. Lots of hymns and classical pieces. I'd much rather spend the bucks on a good vocals library, but since it isn't here yet, well...

Even so, while full GPO will give me more instruments, it isn't going to be so much fun having to build my multi mix anew for each new hymn. Right now I use Finale GPO and have 4 basic multi mixes. In 90% of the cases, one of those 4 is perfect. In the other 10%, I can load one of the four and add a couple more instruments. Life is hard enough inside Finale. I'd like to keep my Kontakt Player 2 simplicity and ease.

Thanks for your guidance,

--
    PJ

Re: Full GPO, Finale 2007, Kontakt Player 2

Quote Originally Posted by Pond-Jumper
    Can I somehow force full GPO to run in the Finale Kontakt Player 2? I recall reading during the setup of Finale and Kontakt Player 2 that only Finale GPO could run in it.
    Not "only Finale GPO" - the Stradivari 2 runs in KP2 - but full GPO cannot until the KP2 update is released.

If you load GPO in K2.2 you can modify each patch, so that it loads with default CC values of your choice. You do this once and never have to worry about it again - no initial CC data in tracks are needed.

Thank you, Nickie.

So I need to decide between:

1. Paying for full GPO, paying for full Kontakt 2.2, and somehow editing and changing my GPO patches (all hundred or so of them) so they'll play via Finale through the full Kontakt.

2. Wait for the Garritan vocals library to come out, which I presume will play in the Finale version of Kontakt Player 2.

I'm just going to have to think on this one awhile. Maybe before I finish thinking on it the vocals library will be available and my issue is resolved.

Question: Is there a step-by-step list of instructions on how to edit the full GPO samples so they will play properly, via Finale 2007, in the Kontakt Player 2?

Maybe someone's already written a program to automate this task? If not, I'd be willing to give it a go if I could get some basic details of the file structure needed to include the patch.

Quote Originally Posted by Pond-Jumper
    I'm hesitant to take the full jump into full GPO at this time because I keep reading about "any day now" there'll be a choral vocals library. That's the kind of work I'm doing with Finale. Lots of hymns and classical pieces. I'd much rather spend the bucks on a good vocals library, but since it isn't here yet, well...
    It doesn't sound like the choral library is imminent, it's at the bottom of the list. Read Gary's post here about current products in development and their expected release schedules.

http://www.northernsounds.com/forum/...&postcount=149

Hope that makes any decisions easier.

Jeff

Go Back to forum