• Register
  • Help
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Topic: assignment #1

Share/Bookmark

Re: assignment #1

As the other solutions in the coming few lessons go up, they will give you clearer ideas about what works and what does not. The idea is to show you solutions which are NOT all great, and work towards a really good one. The last one would be considered fully professional.

Quote Originally Posted by pianodoc
    I must say that at first I was aware of the unusual/novel melodic and harmonic aspects of the theme and wasn't sure how I felt about them. I can say now that I have come to like the theme and may try some other ways of transcribing the piano part.

My first try however contains most of the elements looked for in that it does not stray from the original structure, icludes the triplet rhythms and to agreat extent has some interest in the individual parts (though these do not show up very well in the rendered version from Finale.
    Alan Belkin, composer
    Professor of Composition
    University of Montreal

http://www.musique.umontreal.ca/pers...n/e.index.html (links to examples of my music, as well as my online textbooks)

Professor Belkin:

Thank you for the link to your web site and interest in responding to my remarks above. Paricipating in this course and having you available as a teacher certainly is an opportunity not to be missed.

I am looking forward to listening to some of your work and getting to know you as a composer as well as a teacher.

David Mauney

Dan:

I have listened to your orchestration several times. I am always amazed and I admit, somewhat envious, of your ability to wrench the real life sound and balance from GPO that you invariably achieve in your music. As usual, very musical.

Steph:

I listened to your orchestration and feel that you realized much of what was requested. The movement and flow are crertainly there. Nice job.

David Mauney

Here is Alex R's version:

http://www.northernsounds.com/forum/...AR_Assignement 1.mp3

-----------------------------

And Steve W just sent in his versions in PDF form:

http://www.northernsounds.com/forum/...tration_1a.pdf

---------------------------

Hi all, this is my version, comments are very welcomed.

http://legatoproductions.com/AR_Assignement1.mp3

Thank you Gary for posting the pdf. It has 2 versions and I will probably come up with a few more as I think through the possible solutions.

I enjoy listening to the various interpretations. It's interesting how many are coming up with closely related ideas. The thing I'm grappling with is making an interesting and playable line across the various string voices. The trick for me is not making it too busy. I want the texture to be transparent so the oboe to come through. I chose to use the harp to "help" the strings.

I left out the 1st violin at the beginning and had the bass pizz to keep the texture a little lighter. Then at the crescendo let the basses switch to arco and brought in the 1st violins.

The idea of a "pad" by some seems intuitive since the triplet line alone in the strings sounds too thin. The sustained notes kind of glue everything together and can create some additional counterpoint.

As a matter of discussion I wonder if anyone considered a solution like the following. I've seen this sort of thing done although in this case I think it would adversely change the character of the piece.

http://home.comcast.net/~winknotes/1a_alternate.TIF

Steve W.

Quote Originally Posted by pianodoc
    Steph:

I listened to your orchestration and feel that you realized much of what was requested. The movement and flow are crertainly there. Nice job.

David Mauney
    Thank you very much David I thought that your piece was very well done as well!

Take Care,
    Steph

WOW, thank you David.
    I am not happy with what I did, but I went ahead and posted it anyway.
    The melody is very strange in the center section. Difficult to make pretty musically, at least to me anyway.

I wish I knew that the harp was part of the string family, I would have added a pizz bass note on the bottom of those I guess triplets,,,,,whatever they are called... and add harp plucks after the bass pizzes, in other words, pizz harp harp harp, oh well
    and what the heck is the time signature of this thing anyway? 9 something?
    Thanks for your generosity David.
    Dan

Go Back to forum
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast