• Register
  • Help
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Topic: assignment #1

Share/Bookmark

Re: assignment #1

Downgrade,

I think you are on to something, the pizz version is very good. You have some strings moving and some playing pads. The pizz at the end seem a little strident, perhaps drop that line an octave, or perhaps that is what is desired. Just to play Devil's advocate perhaps changing things up after a couple of measures. Switch the celli/violas from pizz to spiccatto. Are we allowed to add woodwinds? throw a very quite bass clarinet/clarinet to match the celli/violas line for more color. I think a really pro-orchestration might find away to change the texture of the sound at somepoint. Perhaps I am wrong. Anyway sounds better to me.

strings only

I posted mine in a different topic, sorry.
    Everyone, please feel free to make any comments you want. I have no formal training and I don't read music, and therefore I do everything by ear.
    I most likely won't learn anything because of terminology used. Perhaps my version will help in some way. The oboe melody is very very strange to me.

yikes, I just listened again after hours away from it and the middle stinks, oh well. In my head, at the end I hear.. "and now a word from our sponsor"
    Dan

https://www.mydocsonline.com/pub/DPDAN/Dan%20Kury.mp3

Ok, here's mine. I stayed true to what was written. (I think) I wasn't sure if we were to arrange this or just to orchestrate it (at least how I understand the meanings...) I feel like Dan, there's something weird about this piece...

Thanks David (pianodoc) for the midi file, it helped a lot
    Attached Files Attached Files

Here is Tony H's assignment:

http://www.northernsounds.com/forum/...chproblems.mp3

Good work and thanks Tony for sending this in.

Gary Garritan

Quote Originally Posted by moviemaestro
    Ok, here's mine. I stayed true to what was written. (I think) I wasn't sure if we were to arrange this or just to orchestrate it (at least how I understand the meanings...) I feel like Dan, there's something weird about this piece...

Steph,

Nice work . There is something strange about this piece.

Gary

Quote Originally Posted by Garritan
    Steph,

Nice work . There is something strange about this piece.

Gary
    Thanks Mr. G

Quote Originally Posted by nova.music
    Downgrade,

I think you are on to something, the pizz version is very good. You have some strings moving and some playing pads. The pizz at the end seem a little strident, perhaps drop that line an octave, or perhaps that is what is desired. Just to play Devil's advocate perhaps changing things up after a couple of measures. Switch the celli/violas from pizz to spiccatto. Are we allowed to add woodwinds? throw a very quite bass clarinet/clarinet to match the celli/violas line for more color. I think a really pro-orchestration might find away to change the texture of the sound at somepoint. Perhaps I am wrong. Anyway sounds better to me.
    i don't think there's the spiccato ks in finale gpo...

thank for the appreciation, the final note, yes it's strident, but i liked it (it's too stylish ) so I didn't change it...

The idea is to orchestrate it, not change the harmony or anything else in the essential music.

The problem you are trying to solve here is to get all the elements of the piano version transferred to the orchestra in a convincing way.

Quote Originally Posted by moviemaestro

Alan Belkin, composer
    Professor of Composition
    University of Montreal

http://www.musique.umontreal.ca/pers...n/e.index.html (links to examples of my music, as well as my online textbooks)

I must say that at first I was aware of the unusual/novel melodic and harmonic aspects of the theme and wasn't sure how I felt about them. I can say now that I have come to like the theme and may try some other ways of transcribing the piano part.

My first try however contains most of the elements looked for in that it does not stray from the original structure, icludes the triplet rhythms and to agreat extent has some interest in the individual parts (though these do not show up very well in the rendered version from Finale.

Go Back to forum
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast