• Register
  • Help

Topic: Score cue for feedback

Share/Bookmark

Score cue for feedback

Hi all,

I posted an earlier version of the second half of this piece a while back.. Since then I've taken a course on mixing and mastering at a local music production school and so I've redone the mix, taking into account feedback you guys provided on reverb etc. I also bought Epic Horns and Altiverb which are used in this.

Showdown remastered

Any feedback (good or bad) and criticism on the composition and mix will be appreciated!

Mike

Re: Score cue for feedback

Nice! I especially like the sound of strings. What library(ies) did you use for them? The horns, in my ears, are the weakest part... I think it has something to do with not enough reverb... They seem to be a bit placed upon the rest of the mix....
    Good stuff!
    Chris..

I used Kirk Hunter Emerald for the slow strings and VSL Giga for low bass and cello stacattos.. for high violin staccattos I use a mix of VSL Giga and Emerald.

About the horns (vsl Epic Horns) - I was thinking the same thing, but the guy who taught me mixing and mastering a few weeks ago told me I had more than enough reverb on them.. but I also think they sound kinda synthy with that low amount of verb..

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by dalek3
    I used Kirk Hunter Emerald for the slow strings and VSL Giga for low bass and cello stacattos.. for high violin staccattos I use a mix of VSL Giga and Emerald.

About the horns (vsl Epic Horns) - I was thinking the same thing, but the guy who taught me mixing and mastering a few weeks ago told me I had more than enough reverb on them.. but I also think they sound kinda synthy with that low amount of verb..

Mike
    The most important thing is that you feel that it sounds good. When working with samples you shouldn't be too focused on following "the rules". If you drown that thing, be it horns or strings or the entire orchestra, in reverb and it sounds good, well that is what you should do... Just don't use more reverb than what you need!
    I'm definitly no expert but I use my ears and hopefully they tell the truth. Sometimes they don't, especially when working on a song for a long time.

Chris

Go Back to forum