• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Piano library tunings

Share/Bookmark

Piano library tunings

Hi!

Are sample piano libraries generally tuned to A=440 Hz or is it common to record for example A=442 Hz. I´ve heard that for example NI's Akoustik Steinway was recorded A=443 Hz. Another question (may be a stupid one) related to this: if the piano library was recorded for example A=442, is that the piano's pitch even if the global pitch is set to A=440 in the software sampler (Kontakt 2 in my case)?

This has been bothering me since I noticed that the Black Grand (Sampletekk) seems to be tuned higher than TSO, I'm not quite sure though. Can anyone confirm this? Thanks!

Re: Piano library tunings

The Black Grand is 442 Hz. The reason why it is are two: Steinberg recommends that tuning for the Steinway D model and this is te standard concert pitch for orchestral pianos.
    You can easily bring it down to 440 if you want.
    Worra
    SampleTekk

Arf, arf, arf...

Wouldn't it be great if there was a way to change tunings on the Black? Say I want Velotti-Young? Or just something other than the standard even-tempered modern tuning of a piano.....

JG

Quote Originally Posted by JohnGrant
    Wouldn't it be great if there was a way to change tunings on the Black? Say I want Velotti-Young? Or just something other than the standard even-tempered modern tuning of a piano.....

JG
    It sure would. And there is such a way. It is called the "Microtuning" script.

I didn't think that existed for GS, only Kontakt?

JG

Great idea - so little time.....
    Worra
    SampleTekk

Arf, arf, arf...

I didn't think that existed for GS, only Kontakt?

JG
    Ah, sorry I thought the whole world used K2 these days. Maybe a reason to jump ship?

Quote Originally Posted by Nickie Fønshauge
    Ah, sorry I thought the whole world used K2 these days. Maybe a reason to jump ship?
    What, and lose the freedom and power afforded by the GS Editor? Nah... I'll pass on locked sample libraries for as long as I can...

Besides, Giga's iMIDI and DEF are capable of great things and, hopefully, developers and users alike will start to make proper use of them...

— alanb

http://alanb.org

http://www.myspace.com/arsperspicuus

I do happen to have a copy of Kompakt on my computer, but I don't like the way it interacts with Cakewalk. And I prefer Cake to Cubase sx, which is the other midi software I use.

JG

I do happen to have a copy of Kompakt on my computer, but I don't like the way it interacts with Cakewalk.
    ??? Kompakt doesn't support scripting, only Kontakt 2 does. I run K2 as a DXi plugin in Sonar 6 without any problems.

Go Back to forum