• Register
  • Help

Topic: The Hanging Gardens of Babylon - new Miroslav Philharmonik piece

Share/Bookmark

The Hanging Gardens of Babylon - new Miroslav Philharmonik piece

New piece folks

Listen to "The Hanging Gardens of Babylon" here:
    http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page...?bandID=657125

The strings sounds a bit too strident at some places and it was hard to fix this, I'm not a pro like many of you here so I'd like you to listen and give me some advice... I hope to get some feedback on my composition/orchestration as well. The middlepart of this piece was something I wrote when I was 16 or 17 so it was hard to re-orchestrate it and still keep the old themes without it sounding boring... Don't know, maybe it do sound boring....

I've been working on this for the whole weekend (usually I do a song in one or two days) so I'm not able to be selfcritical anymore....
    I also used way less reverb this time, so the instruments would be more transparent...

Please have a listen...

Chris

Re: The Hanging Gardens of Babylon - new Miroslav Philharmonik piece

Hi again Chris,
    Always a pleasure to hear a new song from your way; I like your use of counterrythms, and the middle part is okay.
    Cheers,
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by cmdratz
    Hi again Chris,
    Always a pleasure to hear a new song from your way; I like your use of counterrythms, and the middle part is okay.
    Thanks for listening! When thinking about it, everything from 00:52 and the rest of the song is old stuff... From 00:52 to 02:19 is the stuff I wrote in my youth. From 02:19 and out I wrote 4-5 year ago when I just had my Roland XV-5080 and the SRX-Orchestra card... All the old stuff sounds very different now with Miro. I had to re-arrange, do much re-instrumentation and obviously re-orchestrate the whole thing... I won't be doing this again, thats for sure. It's much easier to write something and be inspired on the way, and not having to think about following a red line....

Chris

It's obvious that you have talent for arranging for orchestra. I like how you use the pizz strings in particular. Changing the timbral effect through performance articulations is a great technique and keeps the melodic/harmonic material fresh and interesting.

Good job!!!

Go Back to forum