• Register
  • Help

Topic: "Partita Number One" (Two excerpts)

Share/Bookmark

"Partita Number One" (Two excerpts)

Partita Lovers, (...and you know who you are. )

Here are two short excerpts from my twelve-minute "Partita Number One":

Excerpt One

Excerpt Two

This work features the GPO organ.

Regards,

Larry
    Larry G. Alexander
    www.alexandermusic.com

Re: "Partita Number One" (Two excerpts)

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen McMahan
    As usual - impeccable!
    Like a Buxtehuda meets Mozart kind of thing - sure you don't have some blood going back to Germany - say sometime in the 1700's? - uncanny!

Pick(s) of the night for me!

Stephen
    Such nice things to say! Thank you Mr. Steve, up in the NorthWest corner of our great country.

No, actually I have English lineage, old chap.

Regards,

Larry
    Larry G. Alexander
    www.alexandermusic.com

Both fine examples of writing for the
    pipes, Larry. I think Stephen may have
    hit upon something, too... I wonder
    sometimes if you're channeling the
    eighteenth century.

My best,

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Quote Originally Posted by etLux
    Both fine examples of writing for the
    pipes, Larry. I think Stephen may have
    hit upon something, too... I wonder
    sometimes if you're channeling the
    eighteenth century.

My best,

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Larry
    Larry G. Alexander
    www.alexandermusic.com

Larry,

I really liked #1 - but enjoyed the minor section more. The major section was less convincing, to me. Perhaps the minor could be extended?

#2 - likewise, I liked the opening idea a lot; the contrasting idea, less so. It seems less "serious" if that makes any sense. But the overall effect is quite nice. Still, I enjoyed these quite a bit; and organ music is so appropriate for a Sunday...

As to channeling the 18th century - I have a lot of days where I feel that old

Hope your health is doing well.

All the best,
    Ron Pearl

ronaldmpearl.com

myspace:

http://myspace.com/rmpearl

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen McMahan
    sure you don't have some blood going back to Germany - say sometime in the 1700's? - uncanny!
    ...I think he has some blood of Alexander The Great, who conquered the whole world within a few years. His descendant Larry conquered the whole world with a few compositions.

Raymond

Quote Originally Posted by rpearl
    Larry,

I really liked #1 - but enjoyed the minor section more. The major section was less convincing, to me. Perhaps the minor could be extended?

#2 - likewise, I liked the opening idea a lot; the contrasting idea, less so. It seems less "serious" if that makes any sense. But the overall effect is quite nice. Still, I enjoyed these quite a bit; and organ music is so appropriate for a Sunday...

As to channeling the 18th century - I have a lot of days where I feel that old

Hope your health is doing well.

All the best,
    Thanks for your comments, Brother Pearl. I always appreciate it when you listen and give your opinions.

Partitas don't necessarily have to be "serious".

Regards,

Old Larry
    Larry G. Alexander
    www.alexandermusic.com

Quote Originally Posted by Raymond62
    ...I think he has some blood of Alexander The Great, who conquered the whole world within a few years. His descendant Larry conquered the whole world with a few compositions.

Raymond
    Ol' Alex The Great and I are from two different branches of the tree. In fact, we are from two different trees.

Thank you for your nice comments, Mr. Ray.

Regards,

Larry
    Larry G. Alexander
    www.alexandermusic.com

1. excerpt - I found that it lacks contrast in texture, even though you go to major mode which I feelt that were little harsh. I feelt you could have prepared that event more.

2. excerpt - same here, for me it needs more contrast and more dialog. Heard also some parallel 5th's and 8v's which is not good for this style.

Conclusion, this is not your best pieces but can be improved with some efforts.
    Sincerely,
    Falcon1

icelandphotoblog.com
    my cafepress store
    my fine art print store
    my music store

Please support your fellow musician from Iceland where the currency has fallen 70% against USD and 90% against EURO! Every dollar or euro counts!

Quote Originally Posted by falcon1
    1. excerpt - I found that it lacks contrast in texture, even though you go to major mode which I feelt that were little harsh. I feelt you could have prepared that event more.

2. excerpt - same here, for me it needs more contrast and more dialog. Heard also some parallel 5th's and 8v's which is not good for this style.

Conclusion, this is not your best pieces but can be improved with some efforts.
    These are just short portions of a larger composition. Sometimes lifting excerpts from an extended work causes those excised sections to sound "out of place" and not related to the whole.

Don't be excessively concerned about parallel fifths and octaves. Carefully used, sometimes they serve a compositional purpose.

Thank you. Your criticisms are well-taken.

Regards,

Larry
    Larry G. Alexander
    www.alexandermusic.com

Go Back to forum