• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: OT: Soundtrack to Marie Antoinette

Share/Bookmark

OT: Soundtrack to Marie Antoinette

Just finished watching the move Marie Antoinette and was shocked by the soundtrack. Since this was a period piece I figured they'd do something along the lines of The Libertine (brilliant) or Pride and Prejudice but they opted for a lot of pop songs (?????!!!!!!) While I can appreciate, "not doing the obvious" or "pushing the envelope" this particular decision was, IMO, terrible. The rest of the movie was beautiful, lovely cinematography, great acting, fantastic costumes, great story, but the music just killed it for me. One scene when a carriage carrying Marie Antoinette was underscored with a totally horrific pop piece that was so "out of context" it was hard to understand why they chose that piece. At a very eleboratly staged masked ball all of the people were dancing to another abismal pop song!

Again I do appreciate taking an artistic stab at things, Moulin Rouge's updated soundtrack worked well for me, but this has to go down as one of the worst decisions ever made. Sophia Coppola scored big (pardon the pun) with her decisions to use mostly pop songs in Lost In Translation, but she sure missed the boat here. Not only was it totally distracting and did not support the film or enhance the period it was mixed brutally. One piece came screaming through the speakers so much louder than the rest. Dialogue was often smashed by a senseless pop piece.

I love pop music and write a lot of it. I love Sophia Coppola's work. I just can't belive that that anybody at the screening watched this and thought, "Yup, the music is perfect"

I have read so many times that a soundtrack should support the film, not distract it. This soundtrack made you painfully aware that it "was there" absolutely demolishing the beauty of the rest of the crafts in the film. And one last thing, it couldn't have been budget as the costumes alone were done to the hilt, as were the sets, acting, etc.

All the very best,

Darren
    www.darrenpasdernick.com
    "Every time you play a wrong note God kills a kitten."

Re: OT: Soundtrack to Marie Antoinette

Darren, I feel your pain.
    This is how I feel when I listen to alot of the music produced today.
    I don't mean to sound lke an old fart, but I agree with the general tone of your post. I have not seen this movie, but I feel like everyone making music today is hoping they will be the next American Idiot, I mean American idol.

distorted guitars, (lots of them) and drum loops with trash can lids for hi-hats. What has the music world gone to? Listen to the music on TV commercials, every one of them is an attempt to create even more "ENERGY" in your face, if that's not enough, the morons cutting and pasting the video into 6 frame pieces to create an obnoxious flashing effect. Yeah, that makes me want that product

Dan's head shaking back and forth. OK so I am 51, I guess I am an old fart.

Dan,

Believe me Dan this has nothing to do with age. It's just plain wrong. The mix, the choices of tunes, everything music wise in this film is junk with the exception of a few pieces that are just piano or a touch of strings.

If Coppola was trying to appeal to a younger audience with she might have made Saw 4 or a summer teen flick. Perhaps introducing a younger generation to "music with more than 3 chords" or "raunchy lyrics" might be a good thing.

Darren
    www.darrenpasdernick.com

I agree

Dan

Quote Originally Posted by DPDAN
    Darren, I feel your pain.
    This is how I feel when I listen to alot of the music produced today.
    I don't mean to sound lke an old fart, but I agree with the general tone of your post. I have not seen this movie, but I feel like everyone making music today is hoping they will be the next American Idiot, I mean American idol.

distorted guitars, (lots of them) and drum loops with trash can lids for hi-hats. What has the music world gone to? Listen to the music on TV commercials, every one of them is an attempt to create even more "ENERGY" in your face, if that's not enough, the morons cutting and pasting the video into 6 frame pieces to create an obnoxious flashing effect. Yeah, that makes me want that product

Dan's head shaking back and forth. OK so I am 51, I guess I am an old fart.
    I don't know, I like to have a very open pallete when it comes to music and sound, and think any composer doing commerical work would need to. I am very fond of both orchestral music, and as well as electronic. I think alot of the music at least that I hear on commercials works well, and really one can't make a generalization that EVERY cut is like this or is crap, because it is not, nor that music with drum loops and electric guitars doesn't have its place, because they surely do, it may not be your style, but it is still a valid music expression.

I haven't seen that movie, but will rent it. I am sure you guys analasys on the score is probally correct.
    www.energiestudios.com

Playing pop songs in a period piece is as bad as playing Mozart in a modern gang flick.

I wonder if the producer would also wear polka dots to a funeral...

Just because you can doesn't mean that you should.

Quote Originally Posted by JonFairhurst
    Playing pop songs in a period piece is as bad as playing Mozart in a modern gang flick.
    Not Mozart, but Clockwork Orange comes to mind as an exception of sorts ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by JonFairhurst
    Actually I think this would work quite well - something like the Kyrie from his Requiem behind a slow-motion montage of violence. On the other hand the pop with period is just not on. Even in A Knight's Tale it was anachronistic, and there the film was deliberately sending itself up.

Quote Originally Posted by Crossingsound
    I don't know, I like to have a very open pallete when it comes to music and sound, and think any composer doing commerical work would need to. I am very fond of both orchestral music, and as well as electronic. I think alot of the music at least that I hear on commercials works well, and really one can't make a generalization that EVERY cut is like this or is crap, because it is not, nor that music with drum loops and electric guitars doesn't have its place, because they surely do, it may not be your style, but it is still a valid music expression.

I haven't seen that movie, but will rent it. I am sure you guys analasys on the score is probally correct.

Believe me, I love it when someone takes a non-obvious entity and makes it fit. Clockwork Orange, as mentioned above, works beautifully. I seem to recall Titus had some really intersting music that worked.

The problem I had with marie Antoinette is that the music subtracted from the experience. It did not add to it which is such a shame because the rest of the movie is really well done.

Please don't take this as a died in the wool orchestral guy (I am anything but) freaking out because they did not use a string quartet. I watch a ton of films and have never witnessed such a disaster as this soundtrack.

All the very best,

Darren

PS Anybody else that has seen the film can chime in here. Perhaps I am missing something?
    www.darrenpasdernick.com

Great points about Clockwork Orange (in which Beethoven's 9th was part of the story), and a dramatic montage with a Kyrie. The Godfather uses a church organ during it's gang warfare montage to great effect.

I was envisioning some wall to wall 18th Century chamber music during gang dialog. You know. Tea party in the 'hood. Maybe for a comedy.

I guess it's the same with pop in a period piece. You might be able to get away with one montage and a pop piece where the words make some bigger statement about the characters, but it better be *really* well done. And it probably needs to be about teens in love. Anything more is just wrong.

Go Back to forum