• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: Recommendations on studio monitors?

Share/Bookmark

Recommendations on studio monitors?

I need to upgrade the $20 speakers in my studio with some that emitt decent sound. Usually I use a pair of Sennheiser HD201s for composing and mixing, but whenever I preview any music on the speakers, the sound quality (or lack thereof) almost kills me.

So the question is:
    Which studio monitors will give me the most bang for my buck?

Bear in mind
    I almost exclusively compose classical/filmscore style music --with GPO of course-- so I don't necessarliy need or want speakers with killer bass.
    Budget= sub $200.

Re: Recommendations on studio monitors?

Hi Ben,
    I wish that I knew how to help you. I was going to recommend the monitors that I use, but they're not in that price range (I mis-read at first) I'm sure that someone here will be able to help you Good luck!
    Take Care,
    Steph

I guess you should visit a music store (the ones who sell instruments only, not records or scores ).
    Check the PA/Studio section, and listen to the monitors they've setup (in your price range). Some stores might even have a secondhand section aviable.
    Everyone has an opinion in this field (sound is subjective in a personal way), so it more important what YOU like.

Oh yeah, one thing, stay in the nearfield section. Cause the non nearfields are to heavy (watts) for average in home use.

Yeah, that's a topic hit upon many times before. Very debatable and seems to always center around bias choices. Try as many as you can in your own settings before deciding on recommendations along.
    Styxx

Ben, the budget you are thinking to invest in your new monitors is, sad to say, really too low for a 'decent' pair. Composing orchestral music, you'll end up hearing confuse basses and harsh highs.

I suggest you to consider if you can invest on a pair of monitors that you can keep for your whole life. Start investigating on hi-fi monitors like some B&W DM 601 Series 2, paired with a nice amp like an entry-level Nad or Rotel or the like.

Then, look for the cheapest active Adam Audio or Dynaudio. Someone feels at home with Genelec and Tannoy. You don't need the biggest models - a 6" woofer can be enough for near field listening at reasonable levels.

This may seem an expensive buy at first, but you'll see that it is an investment lasting forever.

Paolo

Question Re: Recommendations on studio monitors?

Quote Originally Posted by moviemaestro
    Hi Ben,
    I wish that I knew how to help you. I was going to recommend the monitors that I use, but they're not in that price range (I mis-read at first) I'm sure that someone here will be able to help you Good luck!
    Take Care,
    Steph
    Steph, which do you use and about how much do they cost? I don't have the funds right now, but when i do i'll want to get some good ones.

David

Quote Originally Posted by Leaf
    Steph, which do you use and about how much do they cost? I don't have the funds right now, but when i do i'll want to get some good ones.

David
    Hi David,
    I use KRK V8 series 2 monitors. I like them alot. They're about $2K a pair. (or they were when I bought them...)
    Take Care,
    Steph

Looks like they are on sale!! http://www.musiciansfriend.com/produ...tor?sku=602318

Quote Originally Posted by moviemaestro
    Hi David,
    I use KRK V8 series 2 monitors. I like them alot. They're about $2K a pair. (or they were when I bought them...)
    Take Care,
    Steph

Looks like they are on sale!! http://www.musiciansfriend.com/produ...tor?sku=602318
    Thanks for the info, wish i could get those while they're on sale but it says that price is today only. I have to go by other people's ears, because my cheap speakers sound great to me. My headphones are expensive Sony and called "studio monitor." They sound amazing, but people have posted here that it is best not to do your mixing and recording with headphones.

Quote Originally Posted by Leaf
    Thanks for the info, wish i could get those while they're on sale but it says that price is today only. I have to go by other people's ears, because my cheap speakers sound great to me. My headphones are expensive Sony and called "studio monitor." They sound amazing, but people have posted here that it is best not to do your mixing and recording with headphones.
    Hi David,
    I think that there's probably no harm in doing a lot of work w/headphones. I believe that I have the same Sony headphones as you do and I think they're not too shabby. I not only use my monitors, but I'll burn the wav to CD and listen on my portable CD player though my Sennheiser headphones, then I'll take it to the living room and listen on that system, then I stew some more sometimes and take it outside and listen in the car... There's nothing wrong w/my monitors, I just like to hear it as many ways as I can so that I know what I really need to fix. Yes, I'm probably weird
    Take Care,
    Steph

Thanks for the prompt responses!

I am not going to be doing any band work, and at the moment, I am not doing any live recording. Mostly my work amounts to MIDI sequencing at the computer, or at the piano, so for work my speakers will probably never be more than 2-3 feet from my head.
    I realise that $200 is a ridiculously low price to expect for quality pro audio gear. But unfortunately that is my budget at this point in time.

My professional goal is not to be an audio technitian or pro mixer or sound editor, I just need some speakers that will allow me to listen to music without cringing. But, then again, I would probably cringe at my music if I had good speakers.
    Like many of you, I am just using GPO until I get my hands on a real orchestra; If (emphasis on if) I get to that point I figure there will be enough dough in the budget to hire the technical magicians to do the tedious stuff.

I apoligize if I have started an annoying thread!

Go Back to forum