• Register
  • Help

Topic: First Concerto for Clarinet - Weber

Share/Bookmark

First Concerto for Clarinet - Weber

The "First Concerto" for clarinet was composed by Carl Maria von Weber at the relatively young age of 25 for Munich clarinettist, Heinrich Börmann. The work in three movements is a thrilling and challanging work for any musician. Here it is rendered in Finale 2006 with the GPO Solo Bb Clarinet and Steinway Lite Piano.

Allegro Moderato
    www.garybricault.com/SpecialMusic/WeberFirstConcertoAllegroModerato.mp3

Adagio
    www.garybricault.com/SpecialMusic/WeberFirstConcertoAdagio.mp3

Rondo
    www.garybricault.com/SpecialMusic/WeberFirstConcertoRondo.mp3

The GPO Solo Bb Clarinet is an absolutely wonderful instrument to work with. It color and range is incredible, from the soft dark low register to the steel-edge sound of the higher range when driven hard. This is the perfect instrument for this work!

Gary

www.garybricault.com

Re: First Concerto for Clarinet - Weber

Brilliant Gary, and I share your views about the GPO clarinet (and you have used it well), ever since I heard the Duncan Brinsmead Mozart clarinet concerto demo; when GPO was released. I don't know who he was/is but he was never heard of again!

I very much enjoyed this. I played the clarinet at a school concert.....the easy part of a Mozart duet. Only played it for a year unfortunately.

This was an enjoyable listen for me.

Frank

PS I just noticed that you are from Rochester. My unmarried great aunts from Scotland were domestics in Rochester and they did well in the roaring twenties (my father was born in 1899!) but they came back in a hurry and were afraid to discuss it. They even left property there and my father was too late in finding out and the property was taken by the 'council' to pay for back taxes!

Our suspicion is that they had been employed by some gangster type! All their belongings were 'burnt out' whilst in storage when they returned......all very strange. They died in our house in the New Forest, Hampshire. The oldest sister was Agnes, was a lovely character and, Christ, could she cook!! Her sister, Barbara was more reserved and did the cleaning.

Agnes, the sweet one, had been asked by her employer to marry him but I think she had a loyalty to her sister. I wonder what spooked them so much that they returned in a hurry?............

Well done, Gary, well done!

Quite an undertaking!

Best,

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Hi Gary,

Well done indeed, your patience astounds me. I know it's a labour of love for you, so you may think it's no big deal but!!!!!!, I know, I would give up after the first page. I,ve got about 100 scores here of big band arrangements, but I'd rather listen to a CD, use the DAW, and get some notes wrong than sit for hours with Finale.

Nice job,

Ray

Very well done, Gary. It still amazes me how much expression you as well as the GPO clarinet can get through a standard notation program and you are not even using the newest version of Finale.

Weber wrote two fabulous concerti (I believe) and unfortunately most clarinetist only know his concertino.

One question I have is the use of a steinway lite instead of the full version. To my ears and my wifes as well (she is a pianist) feel the piano has a bit of a thin sound compared especially to the robust sound of the clarinet.

Marvelous job again Gary! Thanks...
    [Music is the Rhythm, Harmony and Breath of Life]
    "Music is music, and a note's a note" - Louis 'Satchmo' Armstrong

Rich

Quote Originally Posted by Hardy Heern
    Brilliant Gary, and I share your views about the GPO clarinet (and you have used it well), ever since I heard the Duncan Brinsmead Mozart clarinet concerto demo; when GPO was released. I don't know who he was/is but he was never heard of again!

I very much enjoyed this. I played the clarinet at a school concert.....the easy part of a Mozart duet. Only played it for a year unfortunately.

This was an enjoyable listen for me.

Frank
    Frank, I am so glad that you enjoyed this work. It is one of the great clarinet concerto and as you observed, really shows off the GPO library.

Quote Originally Posted by Hardy Heern
    PS I just noticed that you are from Rochester. My unmarried great aunts from Scotland were domestics in Rochester and they did well in the roaring
    ......snip....
    WOW that is quite the story. Yes Rochester as had it share of colorful individuals, both good and bad. Your great aunts must have been something special!!!! Thanks for sharing that bit of family history with us.

Quote Originally Posted by etLux
    Well done, Gary, well done!

Quite an undertaking!

Best,

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com
    David,

I am glad that you enjoyed it. It was a great undertaking but well worth it.

Gary

www.garybricault.com

Quote Originally Posted by rayzalaf
    Hi Gary,

Well done indeed, your patience astounds me. I know it's a labour of love for you, so you may think it's no big deal but!!!!!!, I know, I would give up after the first page. I,ve got about 100 scores here of big band arrangements, but I'd rather listen to a CD, use the DAW, and get some notes wrong than sit for hours with Finale.

Nice job,

Ray
    Ray,

I am glad that you enjoyed it. Yes it was a labor of love entering 22 pages of three stave music not to mention all of the detailing work. But the results speaks for itself.

I would love to hear some of your big band arrangements. If you ever get the itch put one or two up on the forum for us to enjoy.

Gary

www.garybricault.com

Quote Originally Posted by GaryBric
    Ray,

I would love to hear some of your big band arrangements. If you ever get the itch put one or two up on the forum for us to enjoy.

Gary

www.garybricault.com
    As I said Gary, more power to your elbow, I'll email you one or two and let you do it. Hi!!!!!

Ray

Quote Originally Posted by RichR
    Very well done, Gary. It still amazes me how much expression you as well as the GPO clarinet can get through a standard notation program and you are not even using the newest version of Finale.

Weber wrote two fabulous concerti (I believe) and unfortunately most clarinetist only know his concertino.

One question I have is the use of a steinway lite instead of the full version. To my ears and my wifes as well (she is a pianist) feel the piano has a bit of a thin sound compared especially to the robust sound of the clarinet.

Marvelous job again Gary! Thanks...
    Rich,

Glad that you enjoyed the concerto. It is one of the truely timeless works for the clarinet in my humble opinion.

Actually Weber wrote three clarinet concerti. Of those this is the only one that I have the music to.

As to why I used the Steinway Lite, I found that it provided enough "piano" sound for me (anyhow) and is about 30% less memory usage of the full size Steinway. Not that really mattered to me. Actually I didn't hear a great difference between the two, per my ears. So I went with the Steinway Lite.

I use the Human Playback feature of Finale and it seems to do a splendid job of interpreting and driving the marking of the music. I take great pains in placing all of the marking into the score so that Human Playback and do its thing. Even so, the GPO solo clarinet is so real and a pleasure to use.

Gary

www.garybricault.com

Go Back to forum