• Register
  • Help

Topic: How to: keep GPO modwheel stay put in Logic 7.2.3

Share/Bookmark

How to: keep GPO modwheel stay put in Logic 7.2.3

How do I get the mod wheel on the GPO Kontakt player to stay put (so that it doesn't go back to "0") when I close and open a file in Logic Pro 7.2.3?

Re: How to: keep GPO modwheel stay put in Logic 7.2.3

Sam,
    each midi track in Logic needs appropriate (musical) fluctuating modwheel data, the GPO manual talks about this.

The modwheel controls how the instruments sound, including volume as well as timbre.

If you do not have proper modwheel data in the track, the instrument will play at default, which is the minimum setting.

I always draw some modwheel data at the beginning of the track around 70%, this will allow me to hear the instrument reasonably well while playing in the notes on the midi keyboard. Once I have played in the notes, I delete all the modwheel data in that track, then I use the overdub feature in Digital Performer to play in the modwheel with proper feeling and emotion. This is just how I do it, but I am sure there are a number of way to accomplish the same thing in Logic.

Dan

Thanks for the reply, Dan.
    What I'm trying to do is get the mod wheel (setting) to remain fixed and use expression as the volume control. The way it works now is I have to reset all GPO instruments every time I open up Logic. I think Logic 6 had a fix for this with X-custom instruments?

if you do not use GPO the way it was intended, the results will be undesirable to listen to.

Expression does not control volume in GPO.
    Modwheel controls the (expression) in GPO.

The volume control in the Kontakt player should not move at all.

go to "options" in the Kontakt player, and uncheck
    "use std. CC#7 and CC#10 volume and pan"
    Hope this helps,
    Dan

O.K., Dan. You're right. But I use both hands recording with GPO; I don't have the left hand free for the modwheel, thus I use the expression pedal for (? volume, expression). More important, with 14 GPO instruments loaded it takes too much time going through each instrument to reset the mod wheel. I used the "X-Custom instruments" folder in Logic Pro 6:
    'Unlike the standard instruments in the GPO library, all instruments in the
    X-Custom folder load at full volume rather than minimal volume to avoid
    loading the instruments at silence.'
    Can I use the X-Custom instruments in Logic Pro 7?

Hi Sam,

I don't understand what your left hand is being used for that it couldn't run the modwheel. The only thing that would need two hands are percussion instruments like timpani, piano, celeste, marimba etc. Those instruments don't use the modwheel at all since the notes' velocity triggers the volume.

I am not familiar with Logic at all, so I don't know the answer to your question about using the X-Custom instruments in Logic Pro 7.

I am not at all familiar with your work layout, but it sounds to me like you need to assign modwheel cc#1 to your expression pedal. It would be best to do this on your keyboard, or in Logic, you could re-assign the (expression cc#11) data in the midi track to (modwheel CC#1).

Sorry I don't know what else to recommend.
    Dan

Go Back to forum