• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: Which are you: a Classic composer OR a Modern Composer

Share/Bookmark

Which are you: a Classic composer OR a Modern Composer

Hey Guys,

Just wondered what kind of community we have here. Ill start off, I'd say im very much a modern composer. I use more sound design and electronic principles and use orchestra as a secondery instrument...lol and my use of proper orcestration is a bit weak. Mabey something you guys can help me with

So come on then guys let me know,

DaZ

Re: Which are you: a Classic composer OR a Modern Composer

Quote Originally Posted by dazexus
    Hey Guys,

Just wondered what kind of community we have here. Ill start off, I'd say im very much a modern composer. ... So come on then guys let me know,

DaZ

I describe myself as a "composer of modern music".
    //
    // Ars longa, vita brevis
    // http://edosbear.blogspot.com/
    //

I am definitely modern and, as a further subcategory, more pop/ambient/new age oriented with orchestral elements.

Mike

Samurai Composer!!! Baka Ja nai!!!!
    All I can Say is...HA!...HA!...HAAAAAAA!!!!!

I'm a classical modern composer

Classical composer
    Sincerely,
    Falcon1

icelandphotoblog.com
    my cafepress store
    my fine art print store
    my music store

Please support your fellow musician from Iceland where the currency has fallen 70% against USD and 90% against EURO! Every dollar or euro counts!

If you write it now, it is contemporary by definition.

What exactly do you mean by "classic" composer? Anything that draws on styles established before 1960? That's a rather unconvincing generalization that has been floating around for some time now... what is this "classical music" I keep hearing about? I think it's a fiction that doesn't hold up to any kind of logical scrutiny. Explain to me how, say, the Rite of Spring is more "classical" from a theoretical standpoint than your typical ABA mainstream pop music. Oops, it's not. So why are we calling everything that isn't mainstream pop "classical"? Who came up with this stupid idea? We should be calling music music. We can call "popular music" "Short ABA" music and be done with it. Who cares what instruments music uses. You can play the latest auto-tuned generic pre-programmed corporate emo band song on bagpipes, and it's still going to be trash that is relevant only as long as the fashion we have been programmed to swallow is relevant.

It's all about looks anyway. Let's face it, music is not about sound, it is about visuals. Right... and gravity sends you hurtling to the moon... are people all just completely brainwashed now?

Grrrrrrrrrr.

I am drunk and having a lonely night, just ignore all this.

Forced to conform into 1 of only 2 options, I'd say Classical.

I've never really found something that can not be produced by any of the different established configurations of musicians we use today. An exact representation of a sound I hear in my head is not really nessecary.
    If I hear a sound, then I listen to the spririt of it, the meaning of it, the role it plays in the musical story, texture and the message it sends to the listener - in short ' what is says'. I don't need the musicians to exactly reproduce that very same sound I heard in my mind. I just need the musicians to 'say the same thing' musically that I heard in my mind. There are many ways of musically saying the same thing that the sound (and/or rhythm) I heard in my head said.
    Kid: When I become an adult I wanna be a musician.
    Parent: Son, you cannot become both.

I'm a cross-pollinator.
    — alanb

http://alanb.org

http://www.myspace.com/arsperspicuus

Lol von sorry for the sore nerve there, By classical I mean when you compose you use the orcestra as your main focus, using proper orchestration....by modern I mean you primary focus is into things other than orchesta such as sound design.

DaZ

Go Back to forum