• Register
  • Help

Topic: A New Day

Share/Bookmark

A New Day

I appologize to those who like the classical side of me, but I am on a pop/jazz idiom kick and have written another piece using J&BB and EIDROL Strings to create another pop tune. This one was just an exercise (well at first anyways) to see if I could get rid of the "organ-like" sound quality to my recordings. I used Fianle '07 to compose, SONAR HS 4XL to edit the midi files, and n-Track to mix down and add effects to the sound file. I then created the mp3 file using CreativeLabs WaveStudio. It's only an exrcise on one plane: Remove the "organ-like" quality. Let me please know what you hear.

Thanks

A New Day

P.S. this is the updated file also with many changes made from the first mix. I think I am on mix 10 or 11.

Re: A New Day

The kick drum is tooooooo loud, then bring the piano up a bit.

Cheers
    Ray

If you were trying to convey the sound of a 'pop' tune, I think you succeeded. Because it has been brought to my attention in my own writing, I noticed that the percussion was fairly static. Varying the percusion a bit helps to add more interest and realism.
    Thanks for posting.
    -Jay

I'm not much on the "pop" scene, William, so
    I can't say much on sound and atmosphere and
    idiom and such; but I do like the tune!

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Ray: Yep Tooo "Boooooomy" working on that - it's not as easy as it sounds

Jay: I have always been lazy about the drum parts, working on that. (Never found a drummer I liked!)

Etlux: Catchy, ain't it! My brother says Kenny G. would love it!

I have spent the last couple of days trying to clean the mix up and use the ideas presented here. My brother helped, since he is a bit of a sound engineer. This is my final mix and I think I have learned a loth about the accoustical engineering part of this art. I did very little midi manipulation, so I know there is more there that I can do and learn, but I concentrated on creating a 'live' enviroment for my performers. The tune kind of grows on you, too!

It's called "A Brand New Day" and I hope you all have a brand new day! Thanks for listening.

Hi, William
    I've had a listen here and I now think your next step in creating a realistic solo trumpet or sax sound in this genre is following moving from notation to your DAW for rendering, you must then by hand, put in those demisemiquavers you naturally play but don't write. Also you seem to use vibrato as a constant through the long notes instead of bringing it in and out as you would with the real thing. I would do this with the fader on the trumpet track set to aftertouch, recording the movement during playback. It is a steep learning curve if you're not used to using a DAW for rendering. I can hear you've eased off on that kick drum though.
    Cheers

Ray

Quote Originally Posted by rayzalaf
    Hi, William
    I've had a listen here and I now think your next step in creating a realistic solo trumpet or sax sound in this genre is following moving from notation to your DAW for rendering, you must then by hand, put in those demisemiquavers you naturally play but don't write. Also you seem to use vibrato as a constant through the long notes instead of bringing it in and out as you would with the real thing. I would do this with the fader on the trumpet track set to aftertouch, recording the movement during playback. It is a steep learning curve if you're not used to using a DAW for rendering. I can hear you've eased off on that kick drum though.
    Cheers

Ray
    Again, thanks for your help. You've touched on my next step: making the instruments sound real: 1) vibrato, dynamics, rubato all influence how "human" a rendering is. And, you're right, steep learning curve. Composing is infinitely easlier then rendering a composition. Though, I fear this new technology is putting us performers out of business!?

Thanks again, Ray

Quote Originally Posted by wrayer
    Though, I fear this new technology is putting us performers out of business!?
    I've just seen and heard a new BMW advertisement on TV today here in the UK and I'd swear it was done with GPO.

Ray

OT - would anyone like to write the lyrics for: A Brand New Day? We could be co-collaborators just like Rogers and Hammerstein, Billy and Joel, Simon and Garfunkel, Sonny and Cher (ugh)

Hmm I guess Billy Joel is one guy who does both compose and write lyrics, silly me.

Go Back to forum