• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Dynaudio vs. Genelec

Share/Bookmark

Question Dynaudio vs. Genelec

Hi guys,

I'm trying to decide if I should go with Dynaudio or Genelec monitors. They will be used in surround (5.1) settings, probably in a living room.

The monitors I would like to get oppinion on are:

* Dynaudio BM 5a or BM6a
    * Genelec 8240a or 8250a

What I like with those speakers that they can be networked, and with Genelec you can even calibrate them automaticly.

Those speakers will be used both as mixing monitors and also for pleasure listening (mostly classical music).

Any help and recommendation is appreciated!
    Sincerely,
    Falcon1

icelandphotoblog.com
    my cafepress store
    my fine art print store
    my music store

Please support your fellow musician from Iceland where the currency has fallen 70% against USD and 90% against EURO! Every dollar or euro counts!

Re: Dynaudio vs. Genelec

Quote Originally Posted by falcon1
    Hi guys,

I'm trying to decide if I should go with Dynaudio or Genelec monitors. They will be used in surround (5.1) settings, probably in a living room.

The monitors I would like to get oppinion on are:

* Dynaudio BM 5a or BM6a
    * Genelec 8240a or 8250a

What I like with those speakers that they can be networked, and with Genelec you can even calibrate them automaticly.

Those speakers will be used both as mixing monitors and also for pleasure listening (mostly classical music).

Any help and recommendation is appreciated!
    I've listened to Genelec's, and thought that for pleasure listening, lacked some sweet bass. I've read quite a few discussions about the Dynaudio bm5a and 6a, and have to say they left me desiring them. The bm6a would be my personel choice for the combo of pleasure and critical listening.

That said, alas I haven't even heard them yet! The discussions I read by Bruce Richardson on V.I. and perhaps a few others elsewhere have led me to this position.

Hope that helps, and I hope you get many other comments from actual users.

Rick

Hi falcon 1,

I recently did an A/B test with Dynaudio bm5a's and Genelec 8040s with a friend whos also a full-time composer and we both decided on the Dynaudios bm5a's and bought them the next day.
    We played the EW Platinum Pro XP library through both sets and the Genelec's clipped using the bassdrums and were muddy in the low end,
    where as the Dynaudio bm5a's were clear across the board and sounded great.

Dean.

This is such a subjective subject that the only opinion that matters is yours. You have to listen to a CD you know really well through both to decide.

BTW, IMHO there is a big difference in quality between the Bm6as and the5s. I would save up for the 6s if you decide to go Dynaudio.
    Composer, Logic Certified Trainer, Level 2,
    author of "Going Pro with Logic Pro 9."

www.jayasher.com

I haven't heard the BMs, but I find Genelecs (in general) to be a bit cold, with somehow a slightly piercing top end. I experience them as a rather sterile, sensitive and very non-biased reference tools, if you will. Many swear by them for the studio but they wouldn't be my prime choice for leisure listening - where I prefer B&W.

I think Asher is right: this is very subjective. One key is to learn how your speakers sound, no matter what you have.

Just my 25 cents about things.
    Kid: When I become an adult I wanna be a musician.
    Parent: Son, you cannot become both.

The Bm6a is one of the very best translating speaker I ever heard. Also, research Blue Sky.

I also prefer dynaudio's, Genelecs are lacking in the low end, and a bit brittle in the higher register to me, not as sweet. Also, check out some stuff by JBL, they have some calibration stuff with their monitors as well.
    www.energiestudios.com

I have a 5.1 Genelec kit ... hard to have a good mix BUT if you are able to achieve a good result, it'll sounds on any monitors.

Out of curiosity (hope you don't mind, Falcon1), what is mr Zimmer listening through here?
    I'm no authority on speakers, I don't recognize them ...
    Kid: When I become an adult I wanna be a musician.
    Parent: Son, you cannot become both.

Why don't you have a look at FAR monitors. They claim to have the best calibration system on the planet. Also their claim is to be competitive exactly towards the brands you mention.

Go Back to forum