• Register
  • Help

Topic: Reinstalling GS3 on my computer ... does TASCAM respond to email?

Share/Bookmark

Reinstalling GS3 on my computer ... does TASCAM respond to email?

Hello,

I've read a few posts from others who seem to indicate that TASCAM doesn't respond to email.

I've just reinstalled my windows XP operating system ... complete with reformatting the drive and reinstalled Gigastudio as well. The registration process has not resulted in any response from TASCAM.

Of course, I'll call the phone number, but I was wondering if the lack of email response was typical from TASCAM. If I recall, Nemesystech always responded when I needed to new key after reinstalling. I'll have to call TASCAM from work, but that's fine ... as long as they answer the phone.

Thanks,

-Patrick

Re: Reinstalling GS3 on my computer ... does TASCAM respond to email?

I haven't called since I got my reg number when GS3 first came out, but... I found that by calling first thing in the morning I got an immediate, successful response. Back in the 2.5 days, I called in the afternoon and was put in a queue and on hold...

Anyway, I'd recommend calling first thing in the morning.

Quote Originally Posted by JonFairhurst
    I haven't called since I got my reg number when GS3 first came out, but... I found that by calling first thing in the morning I got an immediate, successful response. Back in the 2.5 days, I called in the afternoon and was put in a queue and on hold...

Anyway, I'd recommend calling first thing in the morning.
    ... which is, incidentally, 9:00am, Pacific Standard Time ... (noon for us folks on the other coast... add or substract your own number of hours, accordingly)...
    — alanb

http://alanb.org

http://www.myspace.com/arsperspicuus

Just an update here to give TASCAM credit ... I did get a reply to the email registration request about a week later. Oddly enough, my registration.txt file had a different registration number than the number I saw days later appear on my license manager window, but I entered the CD key Tascam sent and it still worked.

I also did call TASCAM in the morning from work to get a Key and discovered that you will get cut off, but just call right back several times. The 3rd time, I got right in. The message that says you're being cut off because of a high volume of calls must not always be true.

Registering can just sometimes take a little patience, but the product is worth it and TASCAM will get you a key.

BTW, with GVI registration is much simpler. The authentication is through Syncrosoft, rather than Tascam, and it's fully automated.

I did have a small delay though. When I first tried to register GVI, the Syncrosoft server must have been down. Unfortunately, the registration app hangs, rather than timing out. It was late, so I went to bed. In the morning, the server was up, and registration was almost immediate.

Quote Originally Posted by JonFairhurst
    BTW, with GVI registration is much simpler. The authentication is through Syncrosoft, rather than Tascam, and it's fully automated.

I did have a small delay though. When I first tried to register GVI, the Syncrosoft server must have been down. Unfortunately, the registration app hangs, rather than timing out. It was late, so I went to bed. In the morning, the server was up, and registration was almost immediate.
    I'm confused. The dongle that comes with GVI already contains a license. There's nothing to do but plug it in and go. Registration with Tascam is optional on their website.

- G

Quote Originally Posted by Gamera
    I'm confused. The dongle that comes with GVI already contains a license. There's nothing to do but plug it in and go. Registration with Tascam is optional on their website.
    You're right... some of the time.

Some of us already use a SynDongle... Cubase runs off one, for example... You can transfer licenses from dongle to dongle (I think it holds 99 licenses), but that requires online contact.
    — alanb

http://alanb.org

http://www.myspace.com/arsperspicuus

I haven't had any trouble in not getting replies from TASCAM to date.

You reformatted and reinstalled WIndows XP home/pro?? And gigastudio 3.2.
    Why did you have to do this?

For future reference, you licence was on the hard drive and it is good idea to copy it to external medium and there would be no need to re-register with TASCAM.

If Giga is giving you grief; delete the database (db) in the tascam program folder and let giga rebuild it.
    If any of the following applies:
    Turn off the lan, file sharing, file monitoring, file restore and in Giga uncheck file monitoring.

If you are aware of all this, please dis-regard.
    GIGA ORCHESTRA 3.21
    DAW ONE: CPU: 3.4GHz; RAM: 2 GIGS DDR400; Mobo P4 GIGABYTE ;80GIG IDE HD;2 X WD SATA HD Raptors 10KRPM 74GIG in RAID 0;
    M Audio Firewire 410; Midisport 8X8

Hauptwerk V3
    DAW TWO: CPU: 2.4 GHz Dual Core; RAM 4 gigs DDR2533: MOBO Asrock ConRoeFirex - eSATA2; 2 x SATA 80 GIG, HDs; M Audio Delta 1010 and a Delta 1010LT, soundcards; MOTU Express 128 i/f

Quote Originally Posted by Gamera
    On mine I had to enter the serial number manually, but that was it. I might not have noticed that it went to the Syncrosoft site, except that their server was down at that particular time.

Anyway, GVI registration is really, really simple.

And here's something I don't get about the aversion to hardware keys...

* With a hardware key I can move my rights to a laptop and back to my desktop, if I want. I could even go to a friend's house and use the software on the computer there.

* With a hardware key, I can reformat my hard drives, update my hardware or whatever and I don't have to re-register

* With a hardware key my system drive can crash and fly off its spindle, and I don't lose my registration

However...

* With software authentication, I'm locked into a single machine.

* I risk killing my authentication with every upgrade

* If my hard drive dies, I lose my authenticaion

* Every time I need to re-authenticate, I have to go back to the manufacturer.

* If the manufacturer goes out of business, if the software authentication is lost for any reason, the software is now dead forever

The only downsides for dongles:

* What if it's incompatible? (Well, that can be the case with software too, can't it?)

* What if it breaks? (It's a pretty simple USB device. Seems like a low risk.)

* What if I lose it? (Well... Don't!)

Maybe the real problem is the emotional one:

* I look at that little key and think: If anything happens to that little piece of plastic, I'm screwed.

I guess software in a PC is less worrisome, since it's invisible...

Go Back to forum