• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Piano Concerto first movement

Share/Bookmark

Piano Concerto first movement

I wrote this a few years back when I first tried my hand at composing with GPO. After hundreds of crashes, I've managed to get it into Finale 2007. I will revisit the score to improve it. My mp3 converter has left this sounding a bit muddy and the vol is a bit low, otherwise I'm pleased with the result. Comments will be appreciated before I 'upgrade' the other two movements.

See http://www.myspace.com/grahamkeitch

Regards, Graham

Re: Piano Concerto first movement

Graham! This is gorgeous!

Bravo!

An unmistakable Celtic influence, surely; but brought forth
    with lyrical beauty and distinctive originality...the heritage
    is there, yet the voice that sings of it is clearly Graham
    Keitch -- breathless, and breathtaking, all at once, with
    a sincerity and honesty to it that cannot leave one
    unmoved on the hearing of it.

My friend, please, yes, bring forth the next two movements!

With admiration,

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Graham, thanks for allowing us all to listen to this well constructed composition. The technical difficulties you list in the rendering of this can be easily fixed. I know you call this a piano concerto but I think the piece is missing something, which maybe to do with reading the little information you gave on your site about your love of choral work. While listening and reading this a the same time I thought how magnificent this would be with voices singing, so are you writing lyrics. Enjoyed very much, looking forward to hearing the other movements. Ray PS. what's amateur got to do with anything, You are a composer!!!! Please remove that word.

HI Graham,

I second the remarks of Rayzalaf. It needs human voices added!
    I listened to this twice and still found it good.
    And for that amateur thing, Ray is right.

Well done, fellow composer!!

Raymond - the greatest amateur ever

Quote Originally Posted by etLux
    Graham! This is gorgeous!

Bravo!

An unmistakable Celtic influence, surely; but brought forth
    with lyrical beauty and distinctive originality...the heritage
    is there, yet the voice that sings of it is clearly Graham
    Keitch -- breathless, and breathtaking, all at once, with
    a sincerity and honesty to it that cannot leave one
    unmoved on the hearing of it.

My friend, please, yes, bring forth the next two movements!
    With admiration,

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com
    Thanks for the encouraging words David, they are much appreciated. Like you (I think) I live in the woods and am perhaps closer to nature than most. I think this provides inspiration and evokes moods that inspire composition. I chose to live here for its fine views of the night sky - so I can relate to your 'The Discourse of Stars'. I suspect we draw our inspiration from similar sources although we might express them rather differently.

Kind regards, Graham

Quote Originally Posted by Raymond62
    I second the remarks of Rayzalaf. It needs human voices added!

Thanks both Raymond and Rayzalaf. I appreciate your comments.

Now, that's a funny thing! The opening section was inspired by the words of one of the Psalms of David: 'Like as the hart desireth the waterbrooks, so longeth my soul after Thee.....' To me, these words conjur up an evocative mix of nature and human emotion which I've tried to reflect in the aching and rather haunting opening bars. And only last weekend I experimented by adding a choral line to re-use this as an anthem set to those words - so I'm encouraged you both think this appropriate.

Best wishes, Graham

I like this very much. It has a lot of personality, very distinctive in sound. I think it flows well from idea to idea.
    -Jay

Quote Originally Posted by jaynkate01
    I like this very much. It has a lot of personality, very distinctive in sound. I think it flows well from idea to idea.
    -Jay

Thanks Jay, I'm pleased you liked this.

Regards, Graham

Lovely work Graham.

I found it enchanting and utterly absorbing. Contemplative, but communicative, I adore piano writing that eschews the needlessly virtuosic, and instead concentrates on the tonal possibilities.

I too live in a bucolic setting, and it is nice to hear this influence in our urban-dominated lives.

Looking forward to the other 2 movts.

regards Joe

This was a fabulous listen, I certainly can't wait to hear the next two movements. The introduction, especially, was absolutely gorgeous (not to put down the rest of though!).

If I make one suggestion, it'd be to use some of the deeper sonorities of the orchestra other than the timpani- the timpani offers a lot of strength but the sound is hollow when only contrasted by the higher registers, and some more emphasis in other instruments (double bass in unison cellos would be perfect, for example), though of course not necessarily for the sake of simply using them, would add more oomph to spots like around 3:41. Perhaps they were in there and I simply didn't hear them; in that case, I'd recommend raising the volume, because it'd have a more powerful effect, I think, and add more contrast to what we've already heard in the piece (higher register and timpani below- which has a really great effect, by the way).

Keep up the quality work, for sure.

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast