• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: My 1st SAGE Expander should be...

Share/Bookmark

My 1st SAGE Expander should be...

...?

Metamorphis? Liquid Grooves? These are two that I'm thinking of. I've also thought about Back Beat but, as I am a drummer, straight ahead drums aren't something I have trouble with. Ethno Techno? Any input would be appreciated!

All the very best,

Darren

PS Please don't say "Buy them all" (unless you want to loan me a few bucks 'til payday!)
    www.darrenpasdernick.com
    "Every time you play a wrong note God kills a kitten."

Re: My 1st SAGE Expander should be...

What kind of stuff do you write Darren?

Nick,

I write a lot of different stuff. "Film"ish soundtrack stuff, some orchestral. I also have an alter-ego that writes straight ahead pop songs. I love more eclectic sounding stuff though. Peter Gabriel comes to mind. Listening to the Spectrasonic Sage expander demos makes me realize I would probably not buy Retro Funk or Burning Grooves. I don't know how much of Metamorphosis and Liquid Grooves is tonal in nature. While I know you can alter the pitch with edit groups, I prefer to write my own "notes" over the top if that makes any sense. Hope this helps...

All the very best,

Darren
    www.darrenpasdernick.com

I have all the SAGE expanders bar Metamorphosis, and the one that I find myself using time and time again is Liquid Grooves. It's really top-notch and fits well into a surprisingly wide spectrum of different musical genres.

I second liquid grooves to start with, it is a very diverse and great sounding expander. It has some acoustic kits, electro stuff, ethnic percussion, and it works well in so many places.

all of the expanders are great, some more personalized then others. Metamorphasis has lots of electronic stuff good for film scores or electronic music, slightly more aggressive. Backbeat is very nice for a quick acoustic drum part. Retro funk is my least used one, as it sounds a little lower fi then the others, on purpose.
    www.energiestudios.com

I'm a big fan of Metamorphisis it has a lot of elctronic sounding stuff with effects and filters. If you like the core library you will like this expander. I also have backbeat which is great for quickly assembled straight ahead drum tracks. I too am quite interested in Ethno Techno but I have not heard many poeople talk about it.

Tim

Its been awhile, but I used ethno techno before it was a sage expander. It was pretty nice, but not quite what I though it would of been. don't get me wrong, it of course sounded wonderful as expected, but some of the tinny and odd percussive stuff I didn't get to use as much, and it was not as ethnic as I though it would of been. Like I said, its been awhile, so I may look at it in a different light now, that is my next expander as I pretty much have them all.
    www.energiestudios.com

Don't base your conclusions on Ethno Techno if you haven't used the actual SAGE Xpander.

It's super useful and is a great compliment to Liquid Grooves IMHO.

I agree. The deep drum grooves in particular are excellent.

Quote Originally Posted by spectrum
    Don't base your conclusions on Ethno Techno if you haven't used the actual SAGE Xpander.

It's super useful and is a great compliment to Liquid Grooves IMHO.

Eric,

I hope you have a second to chime in again here! Can you tell me if the grooves in Liquid Grooves are more tonal (i.e. has a specific key) or is there more non-pitched content? Also, I think I read it has drum grooves, percussion stuff, and ethnic type stuff as well. Is this the case? How much of the demo soong is Liquid Grooves and how many other instruments are you using in it? I just finished up two songs for Cadillac using Stylus RMX and am really loving it! Please release Atmosphere 2, etc, etc!

All the very best,

Darren
    www.darrenpasdernick.com

Go Back to forum