• Register
  • Help

Topic: NOTION workflow

Share/Bookmark

NOTION workflow

As an almost-new user, could I possibly ask a question concerning NOTION's workflow, and how other users have found the most productive way of programming their pieces?

Does it work fastest to input all notes FIRST (fir the entire piece), then as a second step, do articulations, dynamics, etc?

I have had some difficulties getting started with orchestral-related composing just due to productivity difficulties that I don't have when doing pop-oriented sequencer-based writing.

Thanks,

- Angelic

Re: NOTION workflow

Hi Angelic, and welcome! An interesting question you pose. There's likely no 'best' way in doing this, just the method that you prefer. I tend to do everything in one fell swoop (notes, dynamics, articulations and so on) on a bar by bar basis. I really fiddle with dynamics, as Notion is so amazing in this regard. It's not uncommon for me to fiddle for 5 minutes or so to get a dynamic profile (especially in a solo) just right. Once I have completed a structural section, to a cadence or the end of a section, I tend to then go back and fine tune or detail everything. That's how I do it!

What John says. Note choice is only one half of the composer's job, dynamics and articulations are indespensable, at least for me.

I wish I had drag'n drop, audio feedback and midi output already. Without that Notion is too slow for me.
    All your strings belong to me!
    www.strings-on-demand.com

Quote Originally Posted by Hannes_F
    What John says. Note choice is only one half of the composer's job, dynamics and articulations are indespensable, at least for me.

I wish I had drag'n drop, audio feedback and midi output already. Without that Notion is too slow for me.
    I compose in another program where there is audiofeedback and midi output and where it's quick and easy (Notator). Then I'm importing to Notion for articulations, dynamics, etc. But it would sure be nice to do it all directly in Notion.

Seems to me Notion doesn't offer as much dynamic choice as intensive MIDI editing does or say in Sibelius where you can change the velocity of each note (blue columns). But it's directly in the score and all very musical visually to do it in Notion. But I'm just getting into the program so may be missing some things re dynamic options.

Jon
    WinXP, 3 GHz/1.5 GB RAM. Notion, Sibelius3, GPO Studio, M-Audio 2496, Mackie 1202VLZ, Korg X5, M1.

Hi,

I guess the only thing that Notion is missing is rewire capabilities, this way you could sync playback to any other sequencer for audio feedback or send the midi sequencer tracks to Notion to use it's samples.

I looking to buy an orchestral sound library, but I'm never really doing only orchestral works, while Notion seems really cool for it's "musical" design I'm afraid that it affect workflow too much. Going back and forth is never really productive.

Francis.

Go Back to forum