• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Processing Chris Hein Guitars

Share/Bookmark

Processing Chris Hein Guitars

Hi all

I recently purchased Chris Hein Guitars and after getting past the learning curve, I really enjoy my new toy .

Anyway, I have a hard time to get the nylon guitar sound I'm after. I mainly used Real Guitar for nylon guitars so far. Compared to RG, CHG sounds a bit dull and less "transparent" to my ears, although it's far better in terms of realistic articulations. I'm working on a song a la Acoustic Alchemy right now, with the guitar being the lead instrument and I just can't get anywhere near a similar sound that would be acceptable as a (mockup) lead guitar.

Any ideas in terms of EQ, comps, other FX etc. to get me started?

Thanks
    Diego

Re: Processing Chris Hein Guitars

Hi Diego,

Can you post a short example of the solo guitar track and one of the music background?
    Its hards to talk about EQ settings without listening.
    There is no pre-procession with EQ or comp. in CHG.

This is the way the Nylon sounds with subtle EQ and comp settings and constantly changing bridge/center:
    http://www.wizardserver.de/forum/Jaz...0Carnival3.mp3

First I would try to find the right Bridge/Center balance.
    This simulates the position of the guitarists right hand.
    Center is warm, soft, with more bass, Bridge has a harder attack, less bass, more flamenco style.
    You can seemlessly blend between both positions.
    I often drive this slider (cc02) in a second run through after recording to vary the position.

Also changing the overall velocity changes the sound dramaticly.

In this example the guitar on the left side plays center, the right plays bridge:
    http://www.wizardserver.de/forum/Jaz...n_Sundance.mp3

Slightly adding some of the different attack setting gives more attention to parts of the melody.

Generally the guitar becomes more crispy and more to the front if you
    reduce the frequencies around 200-300 hz and raise up the highs at about 4 - 7 khz.
    The built-in EQ and compression is ok, but not high end.

Hope that helps.
    If you are not familiar with posting a mp3, PM or email me through my website.
    I could do it for you.

Chris Hein
    Chris Hein - Horns / Chris Hein - Guitars / Chris Hein - Bass
    http://www.chrishein.net

Thumbs up Re: Processing Chris Hein Guitars

Wow, the master himself. Now how great is that

Hi Chris

Thank you for taking the time to reply. First of all, let me make clear that this was NOT a complaint about your product, but rather due to a lack of experience on my side. I hope that came across the right way.

I'll go back to work and try to tweak the settings you've mentioned. Since the demo's you posted (knew them already) sound much better than my settings, I'm sure it's just a matter of some more try and error. I prefer not to post a sample publicly right now, as the entire arrangement is still in its early stages . If I may, I'll get back to you privately in case I need some more help.

Again, thanks for your help and a great product!
    Diego

Quote Originally Posted by Bela D Media
    OT: Sorry.

Dear Chris,

Please empty your inbox or email us. We found something online that we believe you need to be made aware of.

Best,
    Francis Belardino
    Bela D Media.com
    When you guys read this, what do you think has happened?

- A guy with far east accent was filmed by a webcam standing at time square shouting "1.000 CHG copies for free"
    - You Tube video showing Bill Clinton with my wife ?
    - WDR Bigband has to return the Grammy because everything was played with Chris Hein - Horns?

I have no idea,
    but I can't wait to get my inbox filled up again.

Chris Hein

Email sent. Just looking out Chris.

FB
    Bela D Media | www.BelaDMedia.com

Chris,

WDR Bigband has to return the Grammy because everything was played with Chris Hein - Horns?
    Did the WDR Big Band win a Grammy? if so, for which recording?

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Hein
    When you guys read this, what do you think has happened?

- A guy with far east accent was filmed by a webcam standing at time square shouting "1.000 CHG copies for free"
    - You Tube video showing Bill Clinton with my wife ?
    - WDR Bigband has to return the Grammy because everything was played with Chris Hein - Horns?

I have no idea,
    but I can't wait to get my inbox filled up again.

Chris Hein
    I personally believe it´s about a report on the internet that one of your famous cats has won a grammy but Cill Clinton and the WDR Bigband made a public declaration at Times Square that the Grammy was illegal as the cat has done the playback with KickAssBrass instead of using Chris Hein Horns.
    The loss of the cat and the grammmy made you so desperate that you decided to shell out 1000 copies of your horns for free.

You made us curious.........so tell us

Quote Originally Posted by Journeyman
    Chris,
    Did the WDR Big Band win a Grammy? if so, for which recording?
    "Best Large Jazz Ensemble" - WDR Big Band
    http://www.allaboutjazz.com/php/news.php?id=12599
    http://www.wdr.de/themen/kultur/rund...nterview.jhtml

I mostly find german sites when I google, so you better google yourself.

Andy Haderer (tp) first trumpeter and Ludwig Nuss (tb) first trombone player
    of the WDR - Big Band played the samples for Chris Hein - Horns.

Francis,
    thanks a lot for this information. Great to see that developers care for each other.
    Please forgive me for joking here, its Karneval in cologne, everybody is drunken until next tuesday. ;-)

Chris Hein

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Hein
    Please forgive me for joking here, its Karneval in cologne, everybody is drunken until next tuesday. ;-)

Chris Hein
    To be sober only on wednesday (Aschermittwoch) and start the new carneval season on thursday. That´s how live is in Cologne
    Alaaf to Chris
    Raindog

I'm glad that Mike Brecker got another Grammy to add to his collection, even if it is awarded postumously....

Go Back to forum