• Register
  • Help

Topic: The Summer Of Love

Share/Bookmark

The Summer Of Love

This year marks the 40th anniversary of the Summer Of Love. Here are a couple of links that will recreate some of the experiences of that period in history.

First this link will take you to a page that will ask you to stare at a swirling object. If you follow the instructions you will actually illusinate for a few seconds. Don't worry, I have done it a few times with no flash backs.

http://www.yourdailymedia.com/media/...atron_Illusion

Next, this is a link to a performance of America's premiere psychedelic rock band, the Vanilla Fudge. I don't think anyone hit the drums as hard as Carmine Appice did.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=71cGLyOKhSc

Phil

Re: The Summer Of Love

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen McMahan
    "How many deadheads does it take to change a lightbulb?"

Stephen
    10,000. One to change the lightbulb, and 9,999 to follow it around until it burns out or dies.

And I was only three years old during the Summer of Love.
    Wheat Williams
    Atlanta, Georgia, USA
    Music Copyist in Sibelius
    Apple MacBook Pro, Mac OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion
    Apple Certified Support Professional. I also work with Windows.

Wow! "Set the wayback machine, Sherman" That was definitely a flashback.
    I enjoyed that!
    The era of flavors: Vanilla Fudge, Strawberry Alarm Clock.. there must have been more?

Jim
    RealSax.com "When you need real sax in your tracks."
    http://www.realsax.com

Quote Originally Posted by Ernstinen
    LOL! HAHeheheh! That Vanilla Fudge video is priceless. I remember them being overly dramatic, but not to that extent! Three of the four guys had the image, and then there's the bass player. What was his name? Tim Bogart or something like that? A dorky nerd on speed --- what a creative twist! And what's with the organist's left hand!?

Really good playing and singing, though. Carmine Appice really did whack those tubs. Love the stick twirls, too!

Ern
    Tim Bogart looked like a nerd but I read he was one of rocks best bass players. He and Appice were trying to form a super group with Jeff Beck and Rod Stewart after the Fudge broke up but Beck was in a bad accident and The Faces grabbed Stewart. Appice & Bogart would later form a band with Beck and in 1976 Appice was asked to tour with Stewart who was by then a super star.

Oh, Mark Stein's left hand was making trails.

Quote Originally Posted by Ernstinen
    Aha! My fried brain remembers "Beck, Bogart & Appice." I don't remember their music, though.

I DO remember from some live album. Announcer: "Tim Bogart on the Fender Bass! (Crowd --- "Yay --- Wooo" etc.) Ah, it's all coming back to me.

If you want to listen to EXTREME music from that time, check out "Kick Out The Jams" by the MC5. I'm from Michigan, and I freaked out a young friend by playing him that album. He's a Heavy Metal freak, and could not believe his ears!

Ern
    I listened to MC5 a bit back then but the Stooges were my favorite pedal to the metal band. They were banned from Washington State for many years because Iggy was accused of trying to incite a riot at the Paramount Theater. Raw Power is a classic!

Phil

Go Back to forum