• Register
  • Help

Topic: Erlkonig-schubert

Share/Bookmark

Erlkonig-schubert

TRANSCRIBED FOR DOUBLE WIND QUINTET.
    Schubert completed this at age 18-his first opus.
    From a tale of Goethe about a father racing to save his son from death.
    It seems-I hate to admit-that this song sounds better with a voice-more believable.
    This piece has clarinet parts that I always hated. Long secctions of staccato fast notes.

hi-fi URL: http://www.soundclick.com/util/getpl...d=4993377&q=hi

Re: Erlkonig-schubert

Gary, Gary, Gary, Gary .....

You are making a clarinet players nightmare! I hated those parts too! Man, if you can tongue that fast, my hts off to you. I tried to tongue at that speed and it's just beyond my ability. I'm afraid if I got it to that speed would catch the tip of my tongue on the reed and slice it. (done that before - it's not a pretty sight!.)

Now, the important stuff. I like the arrangement. You made a nice use of color in the Quintet. I didn't hear much of the F Horn, though. It would have been nice to let the horn have a shot at some of the melody. Just an opinion!

Thanks for sharing this. I haven't heard "Erlkonig" since my college days and that's been a while!
    [Music is the Rhythm, Harmony and Breath of Life]
    "Music is music, and a note's a note" - Louis 'Satchmo' Armstrong

Rich

Hi,

it is my strong believe that in classical music there are never three notes following each other that would be identical. Never.

Hannes
    All your strings belong to me!
    www.strings-on-demand.com

Thanks Rich & Hannes,
    I'm no musicologist, but I hear repeated notes in almost all of Vivaldi's music-which I happen to like. The source of the repeated notes are most likely string parts which are relatively simple. The bow movement is
    a w h o l e lot easier than the tongue movement. I do hear recording artist on clarinet who seem to have a reallly fast tongue. I've always found that players with thin, pointed tongues have a much easier time in tonguing than those with fat tongues(mine being the latter.)
    The real secret to tonguing -which I didn't discover until the middle of my teaching career, is in the air-not the tongue. The shape of the tongue probably factors into speed.
    I kept looking for places to insert the horn so that it didn't cover up the woodwinds, but you're right about the paucity of part...
    Gary
    Last edited by garymosse; 02-12-2007 at 10:38 AM. Reason: spelling error

What I mean is:

Repeated : YES
    Identical : NO

They may look identical as written notes in sheet music but acoustically every note is coming from somewhere and going to somewhere else, at least for me. The means to achieve this are dynamics, change of attack, change of timbre, change of length, stealing a little bit of time from one note and giving it to others ...

If I have to play seemingly identical notes in a row then the first thing I try is to figure out tension and detension given by harmonics, find groups, set up landmarks. Trying to make them organic.

Just my 2c.

Hannes
    All your strings belong to me!
    www.strings-on-demand.com

Quote Originally Posted by Hannes_F
    What I mean is:

Repeated : YES
    Identical : NO

They may look identical as written notes in sheet music but acoustically every note is coming from somewhere and going to somewhere else, at least for me. The means to achieve this are dynamics, change of attack, change of timbre, change of length, stealing a little bit of time from one note and giving it to others ...

If I have to play seemingly identical notes in a row then the first thing I try is to figure out tension and detension given by harmonics, find groups, set up landmarks. Trying to make them organic.

Just my 2c.

Hannes
    Oh yeah, this old composers didn`t have had any samplers and loops, and in addition: I hate the modern filmscores which includes loops from loopsamplelibrarys...., puhhhhh.

When I think about the new radio- and televisionscores which will be made with the new "scoretrax" from ueberschall...

And: Hannes, you have chanched your words on your hompage quiet good!

Best Regards from old Germany
    "Music is the shorthand of emotion." Leo Tolstoy

Listen to me, tuning my triangle http://www.box.net/shared/ae822u6r3i

Gary,

Interesting work to say the least. I understand the problem of the long staccato passages. You probably could toss in an occasional breath mark, access or stacatto mark to break it up and give it less of the machine-gun affect as I have heard it called here. But on the whole a very nice work.

Gary

www.garybricault.com

Hahnes,
    I guess it's like 3/4 time when it's played
    STRONG, WEAK, WEAKER.
    1 2 3

I make an assumption when writing a transcription where there is
    a continuous rhythm pattern that the player(s) will select notes to leave out.
    If I were writing it for 2 players, I would alter the beat/note where
    a breath is taken. In that circumstance, it seems to me better for the players to leave out notes on alternate beats to provide continuity of the part.
    Back in the Fifties in my High School band, we played a lot of
    transcriptions(old warhorses) which were probably written exactly
    like the violin parts.
    Band works after about 1958 written for bands wote more appropriate parts.
    Gary

Quote Originally Posted by garymosse
    Hahnes,
    ....snip....
    Back in the Fifties in my High School band, we played a lot of
    transcriptions(old warhorses) which were probably written exactly
    like the violin parts.
    Band works after about 1958 written for bands wote more appropriate parts.
    Gary
    And they were the best transcriptions even by today's standards such as the M. Lake "1812". I was fortunate enough to perform that one with the honors band and loved every challanging minute of it. And it was darn challanging!!!

Gary

www.garybricault.com

Some good rendering in this, Gary; other than some
    of those machine-manufactured repeated notes that
    all of us perpetually have trouble with.

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Go Back to forum