• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: Ethics Dept: Music as Torture

Share/Bookmark

Ethics Dept: Music as Torture

The Society for Ethnomusicology has a position statement on torture.
    The SEM is committed to the ethical uses of music to further human understanding and to uphold the highest standards of human rights. The Society is equally committed to drawing critical attention to the abuse of such standards through the unethical uses of music to harm individuals and the societies in which they live.

The U.S. government and its military and diplomatic agencies has used music as an instrument of abuse since 2001, particularly through the implementation of programs of torture in both covert and overt detention centers as part of the war on terror.

Re: Ethics Dept: Music as Torture

I vote for a law against country music!! Who's with me?

Rob

Apparently, somebody at the SEM recently watched A Clockwork Orange.

From Wikipedia...
    Consequently, the Ludovico technique renders him [Alex, the main character] incapable of violence (even in self-defense) and also incapable of touching a naked woman (he crawls away retching), but, in an unintended side effect, the Technique also has rendered him averse to Beethoven's Ninth Symphony; the scientist-doctors apologise: "It can't be helped", then ask themselves if that musical aversion is "the punishment element, perhaps?"

Note that Wendy Carlos conducted the soundtrack, which is really a coincidence for me. When I first read the book, I had just purchased "Switched on Bach" by W. Carlos. I played it over and over while reading the book. I knew that this was Bach, and the music in the book was Beethoven, but it still seemed to fit somehow. Knowing that W. Carlos was the common thread it all makes sense now!

BTW, the Ludovico technique didn't work in my case. I have no aversion to Bach, Beethoven or W. Carlos!

Quote Originally Posted by JonFairhurst
    BTW, the Ludovico technique didn't work in my case. I have no aversion to Bach, Beethoven or W. Carlos!
    Are you sure? You were exhibiting some strange behavior at CES when we played the Tiny Tim music

When Manuel Noriega - then leader (President?) of Panama was holed up in his palace, and U.S. troops were there to arrest him, they tried to flush him out with lights around the clock and LOUD music. I think they played Barry Manilow - I'm not kidding. Does anyone else remember this? Was it Manilow? It would drive me out of the house, if not my mind...

Cruel, very cruel.
    Last edited by rpearl; 02-10-2007 at 07:53 PM. Reason: as usual, I can't type
    Ron Pearl

ronaldmpearl.com

myspace:

http://myspace.com/rmpearl

Quote Originally Posted by Garritan
    Are you sure? You were exhibiting some strange behavior at CES when we played the Tiny Tim music.
    Sorry about smashing your ukulele. I just couldn't help myself...

Oops! Did I just give away your next sampling project plans?!?

I think it is in Frankfurt where they use classical music to keep the main train station free of drug dealers. It seems to be very successful.
    All your strings belong to me!
    www.strings-on-demand.com

Sorry about smashing your ukulele. I just couldn't help myself...
    Smashing my ukulele did give me a headache....

Oops! Did I just give away your next sampling project plans?!?
    Yes - Project PU - Personal Ukulele

Smile Re: Ethics Dept: Music as Torture

Quote Originally Posted by rpearl
    When Manuel Noriega - then leader (President?) of Panama was holed up in his palace, and U.S. troops were there to arrest him, they tried to flush him out with lights around the clock and LOUD music. I think they played Barry Manilow - I'm not kidding. Does anyone else remember this? Was it Manilow? It would drive me out of the house, if not my mind...

Cruel, very cruel.
    Wasn't that when the US troops used the song `Welcome to the Jungle' by Guns and Roses? It is hard to keep up with all of the musical torture these days.

Personally, I think there are bigger issues to deal with. Music as torture? Much better than knives, poisen, electricity and so on.

If they were able to pass a law like this would it then outlaw Brahms?

-LFO

P.S. I'm just kidding about Brahms. Everyone should have to endure his work at some point in their lives. It builds character.
    We are the music makers, we are the dreamers of dreams …
    24" 2.4 Ghz iMac, OSX 10.4.10, MOTU 828 MKII, 2 Glyph 250 Gig external drives, Logic 9, Finale 2008 GPO, JABB, Strad, Gro, Reason 4, EWQL Storm Drum, Adrenaline, Symphonic Choirs, SO Gold,All Arturia Synths, Many NI Synths, Spectrasonics Synths, KH Strings, VEPro on a Windows 7 4x 2.8 Ghz 12 gig of RAM

Thumbs up Re: Ethics Dept: Music as Torture

THE GOVERNMENT'S NUTS ... GRAB 'EM! Can't we all just sing along?
    Styxx

Go Back to forum