• Register
  • Help

Topic: Sampling a Disklavier

Share/Bookmark

Sampling a Disklavier

I'm about to sample a Yamaha Grand fitted with the Disklavier system. It will save my fingers and keep my sanity......
    Anyway, my plan is to just feed it with midifiles, lean back and let the sampling proceed!
    But, how does it work? Do you burn midifiles on a CD and use those, or is there any other way of getting the MIDI in.
    Also, can you adjust velocity curves and/or change how hard a note is struck on the top velocity value 127?

This will be a BIIIIG libraie. All notes sampled, pedal up, pedal down and releasesamples.
    Probaly 32 velocity levels.

Any more input or ideas......
    Worra
    SampleTekk

Arf, arf, arf...

Re: Sampling a Disklavier

Quote Originally Posted by Worra
    I'm about to sample a Yamaha Grand fitted with the Disklavier system. It will save my fingers and keep my sanity......
    Anyway, my plan is to just feed it with midifiles, lean back and let the sampling proceed!
    But, how does it work? Do you burn midifiles on a CD and use those, or is there any other way of getting the MIDI in.
    Also, can you adjust velocity curves and/or change how hard a note is struck on the top velocity value 127?

This will be a BIIIIG libraie. All notes sampled, pedal up, pedal down and releasesamples.
    Probaly 32 velocity levels.

Any more input or ideas......
    Worra,

Richard here. I don´t understand well your question:
    "But, how does it work? Do you burn midifiles on a CD and use those, or is there any other way of getting the MIDI in."

Sometime ago I was told that the Yamaha system, I mean how the Disclavier work has more resolution than MIDI more than 128 values. But anyway since your future piano will be played from a MIDI engine no worrie about this particular.

Now, how to choose the values of velocities in order to sample the instrument? I would take a Midi controller w/88 keys put its OUT on the DAW input thru say Cubase SX or whatever sequencer you want to use.
    In the sequencer I´ll create 32 indentical midi tracks with their output pointing to Disklavier, except for the fixed value of the velocity output of each track. After you are done you just play your notes on keyboard regardless of how hard you strike the keys, because they will have a constant fixed value output.

Track 1: fixed out vel. value to "value1" minimal possible value (=0 or near?)
    Track 2: fixed out vel. value to "value2"
    Track 32: fixed out vel. value to "value32" maximal possible value (=127 or near?)

I don´t know how to assign a number to "value1", "value2", .....,"Value32" but my intuition tell me that you should record more layers between 0-64 (more than 16 layers) than between 65-127.
    You should discover a mathematical function (curve) to achieve the relationship between velocities and layers. IMO this is not a lineal one. Trying to tell you that you should consider a way to put together an ordened relation between layers with velocity values (0-127) in order to have more in the low region. Something like 2/3 between 0-64 and 1/3 between 65-127.

After that we have the problem of first and last layer. Wich values?

I would like to know if you want to sample this newone for each of the 88 keys? I would be great.

Finally keep the technician in the team for a "AFTP" (always fine tuned piano) for all the session. Best is to have an intensive session without interruption if possible (one afternoon or morning).

My 0,02

Re: Sampling a Disklavier

Hola Richard!

Thanks for your input! I've also heard that the Disklaver can handle more then 128 velocity levels, but the MIDI standard is 128, so that's what I'll have to work with.
    I guess I'll try to find some kind of Disklaver forum. I'm sure that there are some somewhaere......

I'll probably work with pre-programmed midifiles, feed them into the machine, lean back with a nice glass of red wine and let the machine do it's thing!
    Sometimes it's sooooo hard to be asample producer!
    Worra
    SampleTekk

Arf, arf, arf...

Smile Re: Sampling a Disklavier

Worra,

what kind of YAMAHA C.... is it??

Go Back to forum