• Register
  • Help

Topic: Review - GVI

Share/Bookmark

Review - GVI

See www.filmmusicweekly.com for my review of Tascam's new Giga VI. Runs 1.3 pages.
    Peter L. Alexander
    www.professionalorchestration.com
    www.alexanderpublishing.com
    Learn it right the first time.

Re: Review - GVI

Thanks Peter. That was a good read and introduction to a way that may be possible to figure Gigastudio libraries into a new pipeline. I've had GVI for a few months and am just now getting ready to install it. I'd really like to play the Old Lady from a VI. Now that's cool.

Thanks,
    Mahlon

I'd really like to play the Old Lady from a VI.
    Do you think she'll mind?

Quote Originally Posted by mahlon
    Thanks Peter. That was a good read and introduction to a way that may be possible to figure Gigastudio libraries into a new pipeline. I've had GVI for a few months and am just now getting ready to install it. I'd really like to play the Old Lady from a VI. Now that's cool.

Thanks,
    Mahlon
    Thanks for your kind words. My review on the Appassionata Strings breaks on Monday or Tuesday.

I installed a number older libraries on my drive, and really took the time to see what was going on with these libraries compared to the newer ones. What I saw was that some of the libraries are difficult to blend with VSL and others because of the lack of a few articulations missing, especially .5s (a Vienna term) which allows for a kind of legato phrasing in more rhythmic lines).

I really do think GVI is a great product, and I understand they're offering developers great deals. Since it will be out on the Mac in a few months, it might be something to look into.
    Peter L. Alexander
    www.professionalorchestration.com
    www.alexanderpublishing.com
    Learn it right the first time.

Quote Originally Posted by peter269
    I really do think GVI is a great product, and I understand they're offering developers great deals.
    Bela D -- will you have a GVI-friendly future??
    — alanb

http://alanb.org

http://www.myspace.com/arsperspicuus

Quote Originally Posted by alanb
    As long as Bela D. keeps offering GS3 libs, their stuff is already Giga-friendly.

I think Peter was referring to good deals for developers to make GVI player products. That would work standalone - even if the buyer doesn't own GS3 or GVI.

If you already own GS3 or GVI, you don't need the player products. The GS3 version will do. But for people who don't own a sampler, a GVI player version is a great approach.

Quote Originally Posted by JonFairhurst
    As long as Bela D. keeps offering GS3 libs, their stuff is already Giga-friendly.
    Of course, Jon... However, there is one level of 'friendliness' (i.e., porting samples to .gig files) and another level of 'friendliness' (i.e., taking advantage of the things that make each sample player special... in Giga/GVI's case that would include iMIDI, DEF, GigaPulse and so on). Comments from BD folks and others have made it clear (?) that their K2 libs boast additional functionality when compared to their Giga brethren...

When I first jumped into Bela D waters (with LD1+2 and Gunslinger A.D.) I had thought/hoped that they would be the latter form of friendly...

I am heartened by the comment that I just saw on the BD "Celtic Wind" website which reads:

Quote Originally Posted by BelaD
    * Bela D Media has intentions to release this product in a native GigaStudio/GS3 version. The Kontakt 2 version makes great use of advanced scripting and we are currently in the process of obtaining a method of matching that power within the non-scripting limitations of GigaStudio/GS3.
    If/when (when!) this comes to fruition, I will be jumping back in those Bela D waters!!

I think Peter was referring to good deals for developers to make GVI player products.
    That was what prompted my comment... BD has gone on record here a few times saying that TASCAM was slow-to-non-responsive in getting developer tools to them. In light of Peter's comment, I wanted to know whether BD was aware of these new developer "deals" from TASCAM... because I want them to keep making libs that take full advantage of Giga/GVI's features (which, of course, would continue to expand with additional input and requests from developers).

I can see that TASCAM has taken a number aggressive steps to win back both (i) the hearts and minds of its customers and (ii) its pride of place in the market space. I'm just checking to make sure that Bela D is going with the new program, and that it hasn't been put off by past experiences.

I've got a lot of money sunk into "Giga property," so I want to make sure that GS3/GS4/GVI keep growing and remaining vital products...

That would work standalone - even if the buyer doesn't own GS3 or GVI.
    I am very leery of standalone products, for three reasons.

Reason 1: "Half a library." Standalone products are less likely to take full advantage of Giga/GVI's (or K2's) (or anybody's) features. This may or may not be offset by special features unique to the proprietary format, but that offset will in turn be offset by the imposition of yet another learning curve...

Reason 2: "Incompatibilities great and small." I just learned that EW will no longer be producing/updating RA in its current form. It's the only EW lib that I own, and I adore it (except for the fact that it's not comprised of .wav or .gig files with which I can do normal Giga-tweaking). It appears that future updates, if any, will be to the "new and improved" PLAY version of the library, for which which I must pay them more money and install an iLok dongle in addition to my current Cubase/GVI SyncroSoft Dongle.

Now, I assume that a "double-dongle" setup won't create any significant difficulties, but it seems to be the opening of a path towards greater and nastier hardware incompatibilities, software conflicts, and all-around heart-and-wallet-ache...

Reason 3: "Library obsolescence." Back to RA... a while back I posted a request for more RA articulations on the S.O. Forum. I love a number of the instruments, but felt that the articulations/intervals/etc. were rather limited and that it would, over the long haul, take hours of cutting/pasting, note-nudging, CC11-drawing and the like, to keep certain instruments and their melodies sounding different from piece to piece.

Instead, I learned that my 'old' RA is finished... I'm not yet sure whether projects created with the 'old' RA will sound different (or be otherwise incompatible) with the 'new' RA, or whether the new RA engine will offer me anything that I need... other than the chance of possibly benefitting from future updates, if any.

This brought back the sinking feeling that I experienced when I learned -- very soon after taking the VSL plunge -- that they were now focusing on their VI instruments. On the one hand I realize that I will probably never utilize the full potential of the Orchestral Cube/Performance Set in its current form... on the other hand, I'm not sure if I would have been inclined to spend that much money on any product knowing that the product was at the end of its development cycle -- and that, rather than focusing on expanding/improving the pricy libraries that I had just invested in, VSL's main energies will now be be directed toward improving the next-gen technology that will eventually render my pricy libraries 'obsolete'...

... Everyone likes hearing about little (or major) tweaks, extensions, expansions, bugfixes and improvements to their libraries. Some (undefined) portion of the sales price presumably attaches to the entitlement to receive such updates.

I can see how switching to a proprietary engine (or focusing on K2's scripting capabilities) can make a lot of sense from a developer's point of view. However, I am a consumer-not-a-developer. I want to buy libraries that not only sound good, but which will continue to mature over time in a format that gibes with, and takes full advantage of, my sample engine, my work methods, my software knowledge and my pre-existing projects.

I hope that the new and future GVI libs prove to be both good and successful, and I would favor purchasing them over comparable 'proprietary' libraries... if only because I will be able to keep my samples up-to-date and in step with current software developments, since these libs would, hopefully, continue to grow in a Giga-friendly format.

--------------

In the meantime... do any other libraries feature an ensemble sound comparable to RA's "Middle Eastern String Section"?
    — alanb

http://alanb.org

http://www.myspace.com/arsperspicuus

It is questionable whether we will pursue the GVI format. To be perfectly honest, we are slowing moving away from GIGA in general.

Thank you,
    Bela D Media.com
    Bela D Media | www.BelaDMedia.com

Of course, Jon... However, there is one level of 'friendliness' (i.e., porting samples to .gig files) and another level of 'friendliness' (i.e., taking advantage of the things that make each sample player special... in Giga/GVI's case that would include iMIDI, DEF, GigaPulse and so on). Comments from BD folks and others have made it clear (?) that their K2 libs boast additional functionality when compared to their Giga brethren...

When I first jumped into Bela D waters (with LD1+2 and Gunslinger A.D.) I had thought/hoped that they would be the latter form of friendly...

I am heartened by the comment that I just saw on the BD "Celtic Wind" website which reads:

If/when (when!) this comes to fruition, I will be jumping back in those Bela D waters!!

That was what prompted my comment... BD has gone on record here a few times saying that TASCAM was slow-to-non-responsive in getting developer tools to them. In light of Peter's comment, I wanted to know whether BD was aware of these new developer "deals" from TASCAM... because I want them to keep making libs that take full advantage of Giga/GVI's features (which, of course, would continue to expand with additional input and requests from developers).

I can see that TASCAM has taken a number aggressive steps to win back both (i) the hearts and minds of its customers and (ii) its pride of place in the market space. I'm just checking to make sure that Bela D is going with the new program, and that it hasn't been put off by past experiences.

I've got a lot of money sunk into "Giga property," so I want to make sure that GS3/GS4/GVI keep growing and remaining vital products...

I am very leery of standalone products, for three reasons.

Reason 1: "Half a library." Standalone products are less likely to take full advantage of Giga/GVI's (or K2's) (or anybody's) features. This may or may not be offset by special features unique to the proprietary format, but that offset will in turn be offset by the imposition of yet another learning curve...

Reason 2: "Incompatibilities great and small." I just learned that EW will no longer be producing/updating RA in its current form. It's the only EW lib that I own, and I adore it (except for the fact that it's not comprised of .wav or .gig files with which I can do normal Giga-tweaking). It appears that future updates, if any, will be to the "new and improved" PLAY version of the library, for which which I must pay them more money and install an iLok dongle in addition to my current Cubase/GVI SyncroSoft Dongle.

Now, I assume that a "double-dongle" setup won't create any significant difficulties, but it seems to be the opening of a path towards greater and nastier hardware incompatibilities, software conflicts, and all-around heart-and-wallet-ache...

Reason 3: "Library obsolescence." Back to RA... a while back I posted a request for more RA articulations on the S.O. Forum. I love a number of the instruments, but felt that the articulations/intervals/etc. were rather limited and that it would, over the long haul, take hours of cutting/pasting, note-nudging, CC11-drawing and the like, to keep certain instruments and their melodies sounding different from piece to piece.

Instead, I learned that my 'old' RA is finished... I'm not yet sure whether projects created with the 'old' RA will sound different (or be otherwise incompatible) with the 'new' RA, or whether the new RA engine will offer me anything that I need... other than the chance of possibly benefitting from future updates, if any.

This brought back the sinking feeling that I experienced when I learned -- very soon after taking the VSL plunge -- that they were now focusing on their VI instruments. On the one hand I realize that I will probably never utilize the full potential of the Orchestral Cube/Performance Set in its current form... on the other hand, I'm not sure if I would have been inclined to spend that much money on any product knowing that the product was at the end of its development cycle -- and that, rather than focusing on expanding/improving the pricy libraries that I had just invested in, VSL's main energies will now be be directed toward improving the next-gen technology that will eventually render my pricy libraries 'obsolete'...

... Everyone likes hearing about little (or major) tweaks, extensions, expansions, bugfixes and improvements to their libraries. Some (undefined) portion of the sales price presumably attaches to the entitlement to receive such updates.

I can see how switching to a proprietary engine (or focusing on K2's scripting capabilities) can make a lot of sense from a developer's point of view. However, I am a consumer-not-a-developer. I want to buy libraries that not only sound good, but which will continue to mature over time in a format that gibes with, and takes full advantage of, my sample engine, my work methods, my software knowledge and my pre-existing projects.

I hope that the new and future GVI libs prove to be both good and successful, and I would favor purchasing them over comparable 'proprietary' libraries... if only because I will be able to keep my samples up-to-date and in step with current software developments, since these libs would, hopefully, continue to grow in a Giga-friendly format.

--------------

In the meantime... do any other libraries feature an ensemble sound comparable to RA's "Middle Eastern String Section"?
    EW is just migrating Ra to a new player. The update cost is 50 dollars and includes the iLok key. Old projects will not automatically load the new Play format Ra for you, but you could certainly use the midi data to trigger the new sampler format so long as you remember what patches to load up and reassign all channels.. Considering Ra has been out for a few years now I dont see the big deal, most companies would have just dropped support of their old libary like a stone anyway. Upgrading and reworking your workflow is just part of the game.

You can still run your old one if you dont need the new player or want further updates to the library(Should they come).

Go Back to forum