• Register
  • Help

Topic: Loading help needed

Share/Bookmark

Loading help needed

First off, I want to apologize for whining and grovelling for help again. I thought I had things running in Finale 2007, but it seems that is not the case. When I get the Garritan studio loaded, and Finale set up with the voices, I can only hear the sounds from GPO studio number one. I can see numbers 2 and 3, but no sound. I've set up Finale as per instructions on this site, using MIDI setup for GPO studios 1-8, with the appropriate base numbers, and still no luck beyond channel 8 voices. When GPO studio 2 comes up is it supposed to show channels 1-8 for voices 9-16? It seems odd that what I've ostensibly set up in Finale as channel 9 says ch.1 on GPO studio 2. What happens when you get to GPO studio 3 needing a channel 17 and the GPO studio window only shows up to 16? I'm confused and would love to get set straight.

Thanks very much.

P.S. This problem likely isn't near as difficult to solve as my crashing problem.
    Swing Shift Big Band - Toronto

Intel(R) Core(TM)2CPU
    6300 @ 1.86GHz
    1.86 GHz, 2.99 GB of RAM

Re: Loading help needed

Quote Originally Posted by B Turner
    When GPO studio 2 comes up is it supposed to show channels 1-8 for voices 9-16?
    You got this all wrong. GPO1[1-8] matches Finale channels 1-8, GPO2[1-8] matches 17-24 etc.

P.S. This problem likely isn't near as difficult to solve as my crashing problem.
    You got that right

Thank you for rescuing me! I did what you said - and it worked! Now why did it work? I'm having trouble getting my head around the settings. I know the settings are right (as per the instructions on this site), but where have channels 9-16 gone? Is GPO 3 [1-8] channels 33-40? Why aren't ch.25-32 used?

I'm very likely NOT the only one who is struggling with their setup, so I can't tell you how much I appreciate your taking the time to set me straight. I hope other 'lost JABB/Finale souls', like myself, find their way to your instructions.

Thank you, again!

...Brent
    Hearing sounds (finally...) in Ontario

Intel(R) Core(TM)2CPU
    6300 @ 1.86GHz
    1.86 GHz, 2.99 GB of RAM

but where have channels 9-16 gone? Is GPO 3 [1-8] channels 33-40? Why aren't ch.25-32 used?
    Each Kontakt Player instance can access MIDI channels 1-16, but since you can only load 8 instruments in one KP instance, it can only make use of 8 of the 16 channels at any one time. Usually people choose to use channels 1-8 then, as these are the default channels in KP1 for instrument slots 1-8. These KP channels (1-8) will then correspond to the first 8 Finale channels listed with each VST instance in the NI VST setup box (1-8/[1-16], 17-24/[17-32], 33-40/[33-48] etc.).

I hope this makes it a bit clearer.

I'm very likely NOT the only one who is struggling with their setup,
    Certainly not. Lots of people have asked the same question since F06 hit the streets.

Thanks. While the logic still escapes me, I understand how they've set things up. It still seems odd that the players don't set up contiguous numbers - [1-8] - [9-16] and so on if each player only holds 8 channels. However, maybe it's my logic that's skewed, and I'm just thrilled that I now can make my investment make some music. Now.....if only Finale didn't crash while using JABB. The logic of releasing these products, while claiming compatibility, escapes me, too.

Thank you, thank you, thank you, Nickie. May all of your writing be as creative and clear as your advice.

...Brent

Intel(R) Core(TM)2CPU
    6300 @ 1.86GHz
    1.86 GHz, 2.99 GB of RAM

Silent Voices???

I thought I had the problem solved, but it turns out that only some voices are playing. Even when I load JABB throught the Garritan Studio, only piano, guitar, bass, percussion, and a few isolated voices will sound (like flute, piccolo). Saxes and brass are all mute. I even changed the name of the Garritan Jazz Big Band folder, and re-installed the program. It seems that there is a problem with where these voices are installed, or the player (either the Garritan or Finale) are looking in the wrong place for them. I sincerely hope (for the sake of all other users of this program) that my difficulties getting this running properly is an isolated case.

Thanks for any help forum members can offer.

...Brent

Go Back to forum