• Register
  • Help

Topic: Finale question

Share/Bookmark

Finale question

Hi, I work with Finale and use the sounds of GPO Finale version (but I also own full GPO). So, I have a question. For example, for Oboe I have in Finale only one staff but in real orchestra there are more Oboe players. So what to do in order to make it sound like more players, do I have to add there 3 staves (if I want 4 Oboe players in orchestra), or is it able that I have only 1 staff for Oboe but those notes sound like more Oboes. Thanks. I am new with Finale.

Re: Finale question

The easiest way would be to assign 2 (or more) separate samples to the same midi channel which is assigned to the oboe. But it's still not going to sound like 2 live players, it will be too perfect. You'd need to actually create separate staves for each oboe, separate midi channels, different samples, and make random variations in the midi data so the oboes don't mirror each other exactly.

But define you actual goal, if all you're doing is getting a basic recording of a piece, I would just use one oboe and leave it at that. If this is going to be a finished recording that you might be putting on a CD, etc..., then you'll need to do extensive midi editing in Finale or use a sequencer to tweak your playback.

Jeff

You can also use layers. Set the name of the layers in instrument list to
    Oboe 1, Oboe 2 Oboe 3, Oboe 4. Now you can give them individual
    midi channels and different samples, all within one staff. You can also use
    expressions, articulations etc. individually.

If the sound of playback is not so important you can use one staff and one patch only and increase the polyphony to "4". Not a perfect solution but it works for "proofhearing" and easy playback and you can use one layer only.
    I use it sometimes with Flute 1 & 2 and it works pretty good in that instrument.

Björn

Thanks for answers. The only difference between assigning more separate samples to the same midi channel and using more layers (where I assign each layer other channel and instrument) is that I can give in the latter possibility each layer other articulations? I have tried to assign each layer other instrument (Oboe pl1, Oboe pl2, Oboe pl3) but I have still heard only one instrument. Do I have to copy the notes from the first layer to other layers or the notes are from the beginning written in all 4 layers? When I have tried to assign three different players to the first channel in this case I have heard 3 players.

Quote Originally Posted by kavis
    The only difference between assigning more separate samples to the same midi channel and using more layers (where I assign each layer other channel and instrument) is that I can give in the latter possibility each layer other articulations?
    What happens when using layers is that you can do the same in one staff instead of using 4 separate staves.

Björn

Go Back to forum