• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: KOWALSKI: Equilibrium (complete)

Share/Bookmark

KOWALSKI: Equilibrium (complete)

Hello all,

I was forced to finally clean this work up and prepare the scores for a composition competition. I hope you enjoy it.

Equilibrium
    Duet for Orchestra and Piano

Part I: mp3 - pdf
    Part II: mp3 - pdf

Comments are appreciated.
    - Jamie Kowalski

All Hands Music - Kowalski on the web
    The Ear Is Always Correct - Writings on composition

Re: KOWALSKI: Equilibrium (complete)

I cannot comment on this. In my view a "comment" mostly is to tell somebody "you did it right, but...." and I can't. It sounded so good. Balanced, modest rendering, good reverb, beautiful harmonies, nice "duetto" between piano and orchestra.

And I loved the score!!

Congratulations.

Raymond

Skysaw--This is a distinct pleasure. Magical textures in the scoring, and beautifully recorded. I wish you the best of fortune re: the competition!

Randy
    (rbowser)

This is fine work. A well balanced approach to orchestra and piano. Good luck in the competition. IMHO you should blow the field away.
    [Music is the Rhythm, Harmony and Breath of Life]
    "Music is music, and a note's a note" - Louis 'Satchmo' Armstrong

Rich

Jamie,

What a fine piece, and what a fine realization. I know competitions try to "listen past" the electronic versions so as not to reject something just because it hasn't been well sequenced; nonetheless, you have given the judeges a superb idea idea of how this piece sounds. It is very satisfying as it is - although I'm sure it will be more satisfying, for you, to hear it in a live performance.

Here's hoping you win. But if you don't, please know you have written a terrific piece. I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Best wishes.
    Ron Pearl

ronaldmpearl.com

myspace:

http://myspace.com/rmpearl

Quote Originally Posted by Raymond62
    I cannot comment on this. In my view a "comment" mostly is to tell somebody "you did it right, but...." and I can't. It sounded so good. Balanced, modest rendering, good reverb, beautiful harmonies, nice "duetto" between piano and orchestra.

And I loved the score!!
    Raymond,
    Thank you for your kind words. I appreciate the "non-comments" The duet feel between orchestra and piano was one I first explored in my Autumn Concerto, though I caught some minor criticism for calling it a "concerto." This one is very distinctly *not* a concerto, though obviously it requires a bit of finger power from the soloist.
    - Jamie Kowalski

Quote Originally Posted by rbowser-
    Skysaw--This is a distinct pleasure. Magical textures in the scoring, and beautifully recorded. I wish you the best of fortune re: the competition!
    Randy,
    I'm glad you enjoyed it, and thanks for the good-luck wish.
    - Jamie Kowalski

Quote Originally Posted by rpearl
    What a fine piece, and what a fine realization. I know competitions try to "listen past" the electronic versions so as not to reject something just because it hasn't been well sequenced; nonetheless, you have given the judeges a superb idea idea of how this piece sounds. It is very satisfying as it is - although I'm sure it will be more satisfying, for you, to hear it in a live performance.
    Ron,
    A very good point on electronic versions, and what judges expect. It wasn't all that long ago that they usually specifically asked *not* to have "MIDI recordings" sent for competitions. But renderings have come a long way in the past few years (thanks Gary!!)
    Here's hoping you win. But if you don't, please know you have written a terrific piece. I thoroughly enjoyed it.
    Thank you. Believe me, the satisfaction was in completing it. Besides, I can always submit it to future competitions as well.
    - Jamie Kowalski

Hi Jamie,
    There is an undertow of "hurried" rhythm; not so much throughout all of both works; but for the most part, a noticeable element between each that I enjoyed. You wonderfully layer abstract elements that always have the tendency to morph into traditional harmonies for only a brief moment. The piano is excitingly original and used masterfully with care. I greatly enjoyed listening to both of your works and appreciate your orchestral creativity. Thank you for sharing.

Michael
    "...Wiktor's a Jekyll-Hyde personality..." - Lycos Music
    http://www.miserymadebeautiful.com

I don't know too much about modern music but it sounds very creative and tasteful. Technically, to me it sounds fine tuned and ready to race. What ever happens I think you have a real winner here.

Phil

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast