• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: jabb bossa nova

Share/Bookmark

jabb bossa nova

This is a bossa nova type of song using JABB instruments. I hope you like it. Please give feedback
    -Jay

http://www.katejesse.com/bossanova.mp3

Re: jabb bossa nova

That's a nice tune, Mr. Jay. You did a good job. I like your efforts for the most part.

May I make some humble suggestions? Ratchet the tempo up a bit and change the key upward maybe a full step. It sounds lifeless at that slow tempo and changing the key will prevent the slight muddiness of the overall sound. Try it.

Thanks for posting.

Larry
    Larry G. Alexander
    www.alexandermusic.com

Jay,

Nice piece indeed, I liked the instrumentation, the tempo is spot on for a bossa nova, and I'm not about to fool you into thinking I'm humble. The one weakness in the arrangement is the relative levels between instruments. the melody line isn't loud enough / or just backoff the bass and drums a little.
    Is it a Stan Getz type of sound you're looking for on the sax. Tenor sax 4 is, I think the best for this, but the realistic odd flat notes are over the top in some places, and a little upward pitch bend needed.

Great stuff, looking forward to more.

Ray

I'll second the motion for keeping the tempo where it is. It's immediately relaxing at that pace and entirely approrpiate to my taste. I like the way the various horn lines weave in and out - very tasty.

The one thing that started to get to me, though, was the lack of variety in the drumming. That's one sure sign of computer-generated music. One of the things I envy most about the more realistic posts here in the forum is the quality and variety in the drum programming. It should respond and interact with the rest of the parts and be more than just a "set it and forget it" type of thing.

Bring on some more soon!
    Paul Baker
    Baker's Jazz And More
    Austin, Texas, USA
    www.bakersjazzandmore.com

Jay - I enjoyed your relaxed and pleasantly laid-back Bossa Nova. I liked the easy tempo you chose. What JABB instrumentation did you use?
    Thanks for posting and well done.
    Eugene

This has a very good sound but as other have said it needs a little something to keep people from falling asleep. Perhaps some full band pauses with drumrolls to bring you back in a certain points.

Thank you everyone for listening and your comments.
    Larry, your humble suggestions are appreciated, I did change the key up a whole step and it does sound brighter. I felt that the tempo was about right though. I will always pay attention to your "humble" comments. Thanks.

Ray, I increased the gain on the flutes (which are carrying the melody) so it would stand out more. I also tried out the tenor sax 4 player and it sounded pretty good so I went with it. Thanks for your feedback.

bmdaustin, I agree with you 100% that the percussion is lacking. I was trying to keep things (the bass pattern, the guitar pattern, the percussion patterns) within a traditional bossa nova style. I really need to enhance the the percussion to make it sound more natural with accents etc. that go along with the rest of the band. I have not yet done this, but I intend to make the improvement. Thanks.

Eugene, I am glad that you enjoyed it. I used 2 flutes, trumpet, fluglehorn,tenor sax, trombone and baritone sax and the standard rhythm section of piano, upright bass and brush and classic jazz drum sets.

js33, the last thing I want to do is put people to sleep. I have tried to energize the song using suggestions on this thread but it needs more work.
    I appreciate your listening and comments.
    -Jay

Quote Originally Posted by jaynkate01
    Ray, I increased the gain on the flutes (which are carrying the melody) so it would stand out more. I also tried out the tenor sax 4 player and it sounded pretty good so I went with it. Thanks for your feedback.
    Jay
    Jay this very good indeed, I've been a fan of Sergio Mendes since the 60's, a little electric piano and it would be great. everything is pretty well balanced now. You can hear the odd note from the tenor sax being a little flat. The hi hat on percussion seems to drag a little. You obviously know how to arrange the various instruments into their appropriate places in forming the chords which is my personal failing, never having studied music other than by ear. Anyway enough rambling, this piece definately demo's JABB very well..

Keep up the good work

Ray

I like the improvements. One thing that Jobim did was reinforce the flute with acoustic piano - sometimes he doubled all of the notes, sometimes only some of them. You might want to try that in some places, leaving the main rhythm piano as the electric.
    juan

Really nice work on this, Jay... smooth as silk
    and a caressing warmth to it.

On the matter of tempo that's been mentioned,
    I think I like it right around where it is. Were it
    me, I might possibly "swing" the rhythm slightly
    more, perhaps; but I think you'd lose the flavor
    on this if you pushed it too fast. This is subtle
    work, it doesn't need to rush to where it's going.

Much enjoyed!

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast