• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Root Beer Rag (warning: seriously foot-tapping..)

Share/Bookmark

Root Beer Rag (warning: seriously foot-tapping..)

This is my arrangement / orchestration of Billy Joel's "Root Beer Rag".

I cheated a little - the piano, bass and drums started life as a midi file

The orchestral instruments are all GPO.

I suggest you tie your feet together before listening

http://my-mp3s.music-4-schools.co.uk...n_Raybould.mp3

Jon

Re: Root Beer Rag (warning: seriously foot-tapping..)

I wrecked the place..... my feet got their own live and, yes I know, you warned us..... Now for the Birmingham Symphony Orchestra..... I really want to see them playing this. It is great!!

Raymond

Great job, old chap! Fine orchestrating. I like this.

Thanks for posting your arrangement of this toe-tapper, even though you did cheat.

Regards,

Larry
    Larry G. Alexander
    www.alexandermusic.com

Quote Originally Posted by jonray
    This is my arrangement / orchestration of Billy Joel's "Root Beer Rag".

I cheated a little

http://my-mp3s.music-4-schools.co.uk...n_Raybould.mp3

Jon
    I know this is not the way to make friends and influence people but could you expand a bit on these four little words. As a midi file programmer myself I'm not best pleased with people passing off files done by any of our strange breed as theirs. If I do a little research I'll come back and tell you who did this one. Perhaps I'm being a little unfair. Please tell how you define: arrangement / orchestration.

Ray Kemp

Very lively and I liked it but I would have liked it more if you played in the parts.

But then again this would have been pretty hard to play all the parts in which is where the real muscians flex their muscles and the wannabes give up in frustration.

ha....that was refreshing & unusual to hear.

thanks for the good temper music

a good start for the morning

Quote Originally Posted by rayzalaf
    I know this is not the way to make friends and influence people but could you expand a bit on these four little words. As a midi file programmer myself I'm not best pleased with people passing off files done by any of our strange breed as theirs. If I do a little research I'll come back and tell you who did this one. Perhaps I'm being a little unfair. Please tell how you define: arrangement / orchestration.

Ray Kemp
    Hi Ray,
    OK - to be clear about this - what I did with this song:
    I found a midi file on my computer of Root Beer Rag. I have no idea where it originated from - I have a collection of hundreds obtained from various sources over the years. I do know that on opening the file in Cubase there was no acknowlegement of the originator of the file like there is on some MIDIs.

The MIDI featured piano, bass and drums only. I imported this into Cubase, assigning the piano track to GPO Steinway, Bass to Scarbee, and drums to DFH, then I arranged and orchestrated the piece by adding all the GPO orchestral instruments myself by playing in the parts.

By "cheating" I was referring to not having to play in the original piano/bass/drum tracks. (I could have done this easily from the sheet music though).
    Sorry if there has been any offence caused but at no time did I claim to have "passed the midi file as my own" as your post implies.
    Cheers
    jon

Thanks for answering my post.
    The piano, bass, and drums parts are the basis for the Root Beer Rag, what you've added is relatively unimportant to the tune. But!!!! I wasn't that bothered until I'd noticed that you embedded your copyright 2007 on the mp3 which I thought was a bit rich. That's all

Yours Sincerely

Ray Kemp

The piano, bass, and drums parts are the basis for the Root Beer Rag, what you've added is relatively unimportant to the tune.
    WHAT!!??? My bits?? Unimportant!!??? Heh heh.. only joking.. yep, I see what you mean

I wasn't that bothered until I'd noticed that you embedded your copyright 2007 on the mp3 which I thought was a bit rich. That's all
    Ah HA - I'm now understanding your concern, Ray. I really meant that my ARRANGEMENT (or orchestation, or whatever), was the copyrighted part. But I can see it may have given the wrong impression. Thanks for pointing it out.

Cheers
    Jon

Quote Originally Posted by Raymond62
    I wrecked the place..... my feet got their own live and, yes I know, you warned us...
    Yeesh, me and Ray better not get together in the same
    place. My left foot took off for the ceiling and my right
    one headed straight for the window. I got footprints
    all over the new paint, and now there's a really awful
    draft in here from that missing glass... lol.

Great job on this!

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast