• Register
  • Help

Topic: Getting Nibbled to Death by Ducks - A minor rant

Share/Bookmark

Getting Nibbled to Death by Ducks - A minor rant

Hi:

I purchased EZdrummer after reading the glowing reviews in Electronic Musician and Virtual Instruments. To get to the punch line, a few minor and trivial oversights in the installation caused me to lose a lot of time.

Someone I know calls this "getting nibbled to death by ducks." It's not dramatic or catastrophic but it drives you nuts.

For anyone still reading...

When I installed EZdrummer, my Sonar refused to recognize it. I tried every which way to get it to work but it wouldn't. I intalled and reinstalled both to no avail.

Finally, by some chance I looked through my C drive and found that the VST file for EZDrummer had been placed in a directory named C:\Steinberg

Huh? I don't own any Steinberg software. And that explained why Sonar never saw it. I thought it would be in the EZDrummer folder it created to hold everything else.

Seems that the installation program specifies this directory in it. Just a stupid error that caused a lot of grief.

When I reinstalled the product and specificed a directory, it dropped files in various places on my disk. Not neat so I uninstalled again and reinstalled with a better folder specified.

Now it seems to be working and I am looking forward to exploring this interesting instrument.

So, what's the point?

I can understand how the two reviewers missed this problem. It probably was not an issue on the platforms they used. But it does go to show that as a manufacturer you need to pay attention to all these details or your customers will suffer.

Thanks for listening.

Charlie
    (day job)
    CEO, Cognetics Corporation

www.cognetics.com
    (night job)
    musician

Re: Getting Nibbled to Death by Ducks - A minor rant

Somewhere during the installation it should have (don't have EZ though but I do have DFHS) asked you WHERE to INSTALL the VST-Plugin. Usually it suggest to install it to the default VST-folder, so if you've previously had something like Cubase SX-whatever version installed you will still have this vst-folder, if I'm not wrong. On the other hand, Toontrack should be able to answer this question. They have their own support-forum at:http://www.toontrack.com/forum/

As a matter of interest; why did you not install the DXi-version if you use Sonar?
    Chris

c:\program files\steinberg\vstplugins is default folder for almost all VSTs and VSTis out there. I guess that is because Steinberg invented VST format. But it's not very big problem to tell Sonar to look there...

It was easy to fix once I realized what was going on. The problem was that the error was so odd that I never would have thought to look for it.

I realize it was just a slip up on Toontrack's part. But it is a problem that should be fixed and that caused me to waste a lot of time.

I would like it to be easier so I have more time to to actually make music.

Charlie
    (day job)
    CEO, Cognetics Corporation

www.cognetics.com
    (night job)
    musician

Go Back to forum