• Register
  • Help

Topic: Notebook/laptop For Personal Orchestra

Share/Bookmark

Notebook/laptop For Personal Orchestra

I have just received the software cd's. Can anyone assist me in narrowing down the choices of laptop computers that would best serve the needs of the Personal Orchestra? What pitfalls might I watch for? What should I definitely have on the computer? Any tips would be welcomed.

Thanks
    ArcticSeer

Re: Notebook/laptop For Personal Orchestra

Hi Arctic,

Welcome to Northern Sounds!

GPO is a great product. Most of today's mid quality laptops ($1000-1500) will be able to run it and a supporting program (finale, for example) without an issue. To really take avantage of GPO and have room for future releases:

Look into the Core 2 Duo processors; these are built with 64 bit architecture for the next generation of stuff (like the up and coming Garritan Sampler as well as the East West one) and will run today's programs, including GPO, beautifully. They do more power with less heat and power consumption than before.

1GB of RAM, minimum. You should get the 2GB maximum typically found on Notebooks if you're going to work with audio though.

A separate "integrated" graphics card with dedicated memory will take some of the graphics tax off of your system and let it run audio. (nVidia, ATI, etc)

Those are the big issues. A smaller issue will be the laptop's soud card. It's going to be integrated on the board, and may not be the best. GPO will run fine with it. If you need better sound later on you can always look into an external audio interface (which is what many use).

Good luck with it!

Thanks. I have found examples of what you recommend on eBay with prices is very close to what you have estimated. It does not appear that these laptops have MIDI in/out. Is there a loss of quality when using a MIDI/USB adaptor between a keyboard and the computer? How do people get around this problem (or maybe it is not a problem)?
    ArcticSeer

Quote Originally Posted by Reegs
    Hi Arctic,

Welcome to Northern Sounds!

GPO is a great product. Most of today's mid quality laptops ($1000-1500) will be able to run it and a supporting program (finale, for example) without an issue. To really take avantage of GPO and have room for future releases:

Look into the Core 2 Duo processors; these are built with 64 bit architecture for the next generation of stuff (like the up and coming Garritan Sampler as well as the East West one) and will run today's programs, including GPO, beautifully. They do more power with less heat and power consumption than before.

1GB of RAM, minimum. You should get the 2GB maximum typically found on Notebooks if you're going to work with audio though.

A separate "integrated" graphics card with dedicated memory will take some of the graphics tax off of your system and let it run audio. (nVidia, ATI, etc)

Those are the big issues. A smaller issue will be the laptop's soud card. It's going to be integrated on the board, and may not be the best. GPO will run fine with it. If you need better sound later on you can always look into an external audio interface (which is what many use).

Good luck with it!

I have found a laptop with the following specs. Looks to me like it is perfect for the job of running the GPO. Any comments would be apprciated.
    Thanks
    ArcticSeer

Inspiron 9400, Intel® Core™ 2 Duo processor T5500 (2MB Cache/1.66GHz/667MHz FSB)
    160GB HARD DRIVE, 5.4K
    2GB,DDR2,533MHZ,2 DIMM,
    LCD, 17-INCH,TRUELIFE WUXGA , with a 256MB ATI MOBILITY™ RADEON® X1400 HyperMemory
    80 WHR, 9-CELL, LION, PRIM BATT,
    8X DVD+/-RW DRIVE,
    INTEL PRO/WRLS 3945, A/G,DC,
    Dell Wireless 355 Bluetooth Internal (2.0 + Enhanced Data Rate)
    Microsoft Works Suite 2006- Includes MICROSOFT WORD plus much more!
    WINDOWS XP MCE 2005 with XPRS Upgrade VISTA Premium
    TV Tuner w/ Remote Control, TVT-2 USB
    Dell XLarge Nylon Deluxe Carrying Case
    DELL FACTORY WARRANTY ENDS 11/26/07

Yeah the Core 2 Duo chip is as powerful as a Dual 2Ghz Powermac G5. In a laptop. Packs a lot of punch.

Go Back to forum