• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 33

Topic: Need some more strings....

Share/Bookmark
  1. #1

    Need some more strings....

    ... to go with EWQLSO Gold XP; I'm quite happy with the library, but since strings are the bread and butter stuff for most of us, I'm often looking for more. For instance, a) I can't get a good High violin section; sounds very fake, b) solo violin good lower down, awful higher up, same with solo viola.. c) solo cello, I don't like much.
    I'd like some advice as to which of the many options i should be looking at... maybe the Strad solo violin, but that's only violin. Can't use VSL new instruments (I don't think), because I'm not on OSX Tiger (can't move from panther for Hardware reasons).
    Any experience/advice would be much appreciated!

    On a side issue, has anyone ever found a usable clarinet in ANY Library??

    Cheers,
    Paul

  2. #2

    Re: Need some more strings....

    All the reasons you described above, are some of the reasons why I went VSL. Their clarinets and solo string instruments are also very useful, likely some of the very best today I would say.

    VSL has stuff available for EXS if you're on logic and more is coming for Halion if you're on steinbergs stuff. Or you can do as I did: do an autopsy on the gig files and redo them (or convert) into any shape or form that suits you're way of working
    Kid: When I become an adult I wanna be a musician.
    Parent: Son, you cannot become both.

  3. #3

    Re: Need some more strings....

    If you have Kontakt 2, look at Kirk Hunter Emerald and the upcoming Ruby - the strings are fantastic and the woodwinds are also phenomenal!!!

    www.kirkhunterstudios.com

    Mike

  4. #4

    Re: Need some more strings....

    Quote Originally Posted by karmacomposer
    If you have Kontakt 2, look at Kirk Hunter Emerald and the upcoming Ruby - the strings are fantastic and the woodwinds are also phenomenal!!!

    www.kirkhunterstudios.com

    Mike
    Oh yes, the Kirk Hunters have a phenomenal character.

  5. #5

    Re: Need some more strings....

    Quote Originally Posted by karmacomposer
    If you have Kontakt 2, look at Kirk Hunter Emerald and the upcoming Ruby - the strings are fantastic and the woodwinds are also phenomenal!!!

    www.kirkhunterstudios.com

    Mike
    Thanks for advice, going to check these out (I do use EXS24 and Kontakt)

  6. #6

    Re: Need some more strings....

    Quote Originally Posted by coosticks
    On a side issue, has anyone ever found a usable clarinet in ANY Library??l
    I LOVE my performance legato clarinet patches in VSL Opus 1 for EXS. Use them all the time in isolated situations and they sound WONDERFUL.

    Take a listen to the demo "Fantasiestueck for Clarinet:" http://vsl.co.at/en-us/67/4587/4594.vsl#

    Now that demo uses VSL VI, but keep in mind most of the samples used to create VI already exist in VSL opus/pro edition series. I'm currently working on a score score that uses VSL Opus clarinet. I'll make sure to post a cue in this thread when its done (about 3 weeks).

    BTW, VSL horizon series in EXS format does have a solo strings library as well. Here are the demos: http://vsl.co.at/en-us/67/4694/4705.vsl

  7. #7
    Senior Member Steve_Karl's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA 15206 USA
    Posts
    1,425

    Re: Need some more strings....

    I slowly migrated most of my orchestral instrument choices from EW Gold ( original ) to Kirk Hunter Emerald.
    The stings blend very well with Gold for me, and I'm very happy with the Emerald stings by comparison.

  8. #8

    Re: Need some more strings....

    Quote Originally Posted by JT3_Jon
    I LOVE my performance legato clarinet patches in VSL Opus 1 for EXS. Use them all the time in isolated situations and they sound WONDERFUL.

    Take a listen to the demo "Fantasiestueck for Clarinet:" http://vsl.co.at/en-us/67/4587/4594.vsl#

    Now that demo uses VSL VI, but keep in mind most of the samples used to create VI already exist in VSL opus/pro edition series. I'm currently working on a score score that uses VSL Opus clarinet. I'll make sure to post a cue in this thread when its done (about 3 weeks).

    BTW, VSL horizon series in EXS format does have a solo strings library as well. Here are the demos: http://vsl.co.at/en-us/67/4694/4705.vsl
    I'm thinking of adding Opus 2 to my setup; the runs and stuff could be useful. Anyone have any thoughts?

  9. #9

    Re: Need some more strings....

    Quote Originally Posted by coosticks
    I'm thinking of adding Opus 2 to my setup; the runs and stuff could be useful. Anyone have any thoughts?
    In all honesty I dont remember what exactly was added in the Opus 2 package, but I remember at first being disappointed, but the more I dove into it the more uses I found for the sounds. I guess its best to think of Opus 1 as the "meat and potatoes" while Opus 2 is like a gravy; Not necessary to make most music, but it does add some nice sparkles, like flutando strings, muted trumpets, additional runs, etc.

    Whats really cool is all the bonus samples they give you from other horizion libs. They have basic patches from solo strings (which work GREAT for layering) french oboes, wind ensembles, harp, epic horns, and even some cool stuff from glass and stones. Overall I'm happy with the purchase at the time, but given the rise of good priced orchestral libs like kirk hunter and the westgate modular series, I dont know if I would purchase it again today.

    My advice, examine the patch lists carefully and see if there are things you absolutely need. If not, it maybe best to save your cash IMO.

  10. #10

    Re: Need some more strings....

    Quote Originally Posted by coosticks
    ... to go with EWQLSO Gold XP; I'm quite happy with the library, but since strings are the bread and butter stuff for most of us, I'm often looking for more. For instance, a) I can't get a good High violin section; sounds very fake, b) solo violin good lower down, awful higher up, same with solo viola.. c) solo cello, I don't like much.
    I'd like some advice as to which of the many options i should be looking at... maybe the Strad solo violin, but that's only violin. Can't use VSL new instruments (I don't think), because I'm not on OSX Tiger (can't move from panther for Hardware reasons).
    Any experience/advice would be much appreciated!

    On a side issue, has anyone ever found a usable clarinet in ANY Library??

    Cheers,
    Paul
    Get VSL chamber strings and use it as a close mic when layering it with Gold. You wont be disappointed. Get it in K2 format. It wouldn't be a bad idea to get Opus 1+2 with this fro the same reasons(layer the solo ww from VSL on top of gold and you'll see etc..).... And VSL solo strings like i plan to do.

Go Back to forum

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •