• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Full Jazz Band: Snoopy's Blues

Share/Bookmark

Full Jazz Band: Snoopy's Blues

Well, I put my JABB Christmas gift to good use and orchestrated a full Jazz Band arrangement of my origianl piece called: Snoopy's "Shot Down by the Ace" Blues. It may not be as good as my brother's Cabin Fever Blues, but it was fun to use the Garritan full program and listen to my jazz band play!

I hope you all enjoy. Leave a comment or two (or the Ace will shoot you down too!)

Re: Full Jazz Band: Snoopy's Blues

I like this but it needs a bit of work on firstly, the drums - no real syncopation, then the bass player seems to have gone missing. I hesitate to criticise anyone who posts here so please take this as being my personal observations on the piece. I couldn't arrange a big band to save my life so I am interested in what you have done with the various sections in the band here. I wonder, do you use a sequencing program or notation program. I would offset the saxes by a few ticks and alter the tone via controller settings, just to help create a wider sound. Adjusting the relative levels between the sections would also help for realism.

If this sounds rich well SHOOT ME DOWN YOU ACE!!!!!

Ray

This was my first time using Sonar to realize the piece. I usually only use Finale 07 and let the writing and that program create the music. The drums are just setting a basic pattern, which (because I am lazy) I haven't worked with. The Bass is there (and when I play in my 'real' band I like to hear him more prominent also - I'm just learnig how to balance and set the parameters for a more 'live' sound. I like your suggestion on offsetting the saxes by a few ticks. All I have to find out now is how you do that. My brother has been trying to show me, but I am so used to 'plopping' the music in front of a 'real' player that I haven't worked much in using the software tools I have to create a 'live' performance. Since I strictly use a notation program to realize the music ( I don't input from a midi keyboard - although I have one in the system).

No shots from the ACE he tells me with confidence that you are on our side!

Using some of your ideas Ray, here's a remix of the piece: Snoopy 2

Just trying to be constructive so don't take it as negative.

When someone only uses a notation program it comes out sounding very mechanical. This could be a happenin piece if it had more life in it as Ray was pointing out. Also for some reason your JABB instruments sound very synthy compared to others. I don't know if that results from not actually playing the notes versus the notation program or the mixing of the sound.

Listen to Rays or Oldbob's sound. The instruments sound like real instruments.
    See if you can match the sound they achieve.

Quote Originally Posted by wrayer

Using some of your ideas Ray, here's a remix of the piece: Snoopy 2
    Now you need to create a space for the band to perform in with a nice reverberation.

Ray

Quote Originally Posted by js33
    When someone only uses a notation program it comes out sounding very mechanical.
    Analyze this any further please. Is it the tempo, volume, velocity or else?
    Mostly people forget to amend the tempo and it all plays at e.g. 120 beats/minute. I learned that even within one single bar the tempo changes over and over again. Nobody plays like a metronome, not even the conductor can hold the tempo steady (drummers maybe?)

Please give me your comment on this.

Raymond

All great replies, but the HOWTO's aren't here.

I understand the concepts, especially of creating 'live' space for the performers. I just don't have the knowledge base to create it. I have listened to some fine examples from this forum, but have seen few explanations of how the effects were achieved. This piece was written using Finale, but it was realized in Sonar Home Studio. I am looking for the how too's not the you should have's.

Thanks for the suggestions, I guess I will keep muddling through this until I figure it on my own.

Thanks Ray for the controller file, it opened a few windows, now if I could just fine the key to the doorlock...

[quote=wrayer]All great replies, but the HOWTO's aren't here.

I am looking for the how too's not the you should have's.

quote]

Your Sonar Home Studio should have Sonitus:fx. One of the plugins is reverb which you can insert on the master track. There should be presets of room, hall, etc. There'll be control of Dry signal, E.R. (early reflections) and Reverb quoted in dB. Start with the E.R. and reverb sliders at minimum and move to the right until there's enough effect. This is not neccessarily the best method but it'll do for starters.

Ray

quote]

Your Sonar Home Studio should have Sonitus:fx. One of the plugins is reverb which you can insert on the master track. There should be presets of room, hall, etc. There'll be control of Dry signal, E.R. (early reflections) and Reverb quoted in dB. Start with the E.R. and reverb sliders at minimum and move to the right until there's enough effect. This is not neccessarily the best method but it'll do for starters.

Ray[/quote]

Hmm, haven't seen the Sonitus:fx - I will look. You have been and are most helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Raymond62
    Analyze this any further please. Is it the tempo, volume, velocity or else?
    Mostly people forget to amend the tempo and it all plays at e.g. 120 beats/minute. I learned that even within one single bar the tempo changes over and over again. Nobody plays like a metronome, not even the conductor can hold the tempo steady (drummers maybe?)

Please give me your comment on this.

Raymond
    I'm not saying it's impossible to achieve a realistic performance using a notation program just that it's really hard. I agree that most people probably don't adjust things enough. I would say the biggest thing that makes a performance sound mechanical is that everything happens exactly on the beat all the time where if you look at a performance played in a keyboard the timings will be off the beat in enough places to make it sound like a real player. Yes it's also the velocity. When a piano player plays a part they never strike the keys all at exactly the same velocity. Or a horn player never plays at exactly the same volume on every note. It boils down to the fact that a real player has a lot of varieties in their playing. It is never the same exact volume level, velocity, timing on every note.

Wrayer,

My best advice to achieve a realistic performance is to play the parts in with a keyboard. I don't know if that is an option for you but you will find the most realistic sounding pieces are performed on the keyboard along with some real instruments like bass or guitar.

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast