• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 25

Topic: Homage to Falla

Share/Bookmark
  1. #1
    Senior Member rpearl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Baltimore
    Posts
    1,904

    Homage to Falla

    Something a little different. This is from a small set of piano pieces written as homages to Spanish composers and others. It's the first solo piano work I've done using GPO, and I know I have a lot to learn about realizing keyboard music.

    Falla's music has always had, for me, a fascinating combination of force and grace, austerity and sensuality. I tried to capture some of that in this homage.

    http://idisk.mac.com/ronpearl-Public/Falla.mp3
    Ron Pearl

    Website:

    ronaldmpearl.com

    myspace:

    http://myspace.com/rmpearl

  2. #2

    Re: Homage to Falla

    Manuel de Falla no doubt smiles on you for this one, Ron;
    in it, you've brought us fascinating writing, brimming with life,
    energy, and that clarity and focus and economy that I've
    come to respect and admire in your work... proof once again
    that more notes do not make richer music; that thoughtful
    craft and the power of strong ideas well said, do.

    Bravo!

    With admiration,



    David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com
    .

  3. #3

    Re: Homage to Falla

    Ron

    This is masterfully written piano music, such beautiful harmonies and scales. I enjoyed your piece a lot. Thank you .
    Kind Regards

    Louis Dekker
    My Music Site

    Pour être grand, il faut avoir été petit.

  4. #4

    Re: Homage to Falla

    Nice writing! I love de Falla too, very much. Do I hear some of his Fantasia Baetica? Keep posting.

    Raymond

  5. #5
    Senior Member rpearl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Baltimore
    Posts
    1,904

    Re: Homage to Falla

    Quote Originally Posted by etLux
    Manuel de Falla no doubt smiles on you for this one, Ron;
    in it, you've brought us fascinating writing, brimming with life,
    energy, and that clarity and focus and economy that I've
    come to respect and admire in your work... proof once again
    that more notes do not make richer music; that thoughtful
    craft and the power of strong ideas well said, do.

    Bravo!

    With admiration,



    David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com
    .
    David,

    I am glad you used the word "economy" - I sometimes suspect that I dwell too long on an idea, without enough development. And Falla was nothing if not economical. He was one of the very few composers where every note counted - kind of like Webern, albeit with a very different accent and language!

    Thanks for listening and commenting. Your thoughtful response and patient ears are much appreciated.

    Ron
    Ron Pearl

    Website:

    ronaldmpearl.com

    myspace:

    http://myspace.com/rmpearl

  6. #6
    Senior Member rpearl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Baltimore
    Posts
    1,904

    Re: Homage to Falla

    Quote Originally Posted by Raymond62
    Nice writing! I love de Falla too, very much. Do I hear some of his Fantasia Baetica? Keep posting.

    Raymond
    Raymond,

    Fanstasia Baetica? Yes, that work was in the back of my mind, although there are no actual quotes. It is a fabulous piece, and much neglected. It is a side of Falla that is often overlooked - the brutal and austere qualities are often pushed aside in favor of his more flamenco inspired scores. The language here is not as severe as the fantasia, but I wanted to allude to it. I'm so glad you could hear that quality, here.

    Thanks for listening!
    Ron Pearl

    Website:

    ronaldmpearl.com

    myspace:

    http://myspace.com/rmpearl

  7. #7
    Senior Member rpearl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Baltimore
    Posts
    1,904

    Re: Homage to Falla

    Quote Originally Posted by LouisD
    Ron

    This is masterfully written piano music, such beautiful harmonies and scales. I enjoyed your piece a lot. Thank you .
    Louis,

    Glad you liked the harmonic language. I tried to evoke Falla without actually imitating him.

    Thank you for listening.
    Ron Pearl

    Website:

    ronaldmpearl.com

    myspace:

    http://myspace.com/rmpearl

  8. #8

    Re: Homage to Falla

    Ron,

    Very nice work. I loved the rhythm and harmonies, and I can definitely hear a little de Falla here. Romantic, fiery and sparkling.

    As far as the rendering goes, it's almost there. I would only recommend un-quantizing some of the rapid passages, as it sounds a little mechanical in a couple of spots. The most obvious is probably the long trill at about 1/3 the way through. It could probably use a little more randomization in the attack velocities here as well.

    But not to take away from the fine composition, which I wholly enjoyed.
    - Jamie Kowalski

    All Hands Music - Kowalski on the web
    The Ear Is Always Correct - Writings on composition

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Penfield (Rochester), NY
    Posts
    1,719

    Re: Homage to Falla

    Ron,

    Nice selections and good application of the GPo solo piano. It all fits together really well.

    Gary

    www.garybricault.com

  10. #10
    Senior Member rpearl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Baltimore
    Posts
    1,904

    Re: Homage to Falla

    Quote Originally Posted by Skysaw
    Ron,

    Very nice work. I loved the rhythm and harmonies, and I can definitely hear a little de Falla here. Romantic, fiery and sparkling.

    As far as the rendering goes, it's almost there. I would only recommend un-quantizing some of the rapid passages, as it sounds a little mechanical in a couple of spots. The most obvious is probably the long trill at about 1/3 the way through. It could probably use a little more randomization in the attack velocities here as well.

    But not to take away from the fine composition, which I wholly enjoyed.
    Jamie,

    Thanks for the comments. Yes, the trill is too mechanical - I'm doing all this through Sibelius. I should play with the velocities more - I did some basic right-hand-louder-than-the-left sort of thing.

    Glad you stopped by!
    Ron Pearl

    Website:

    ronaldmpearl.com

    myspace:

    http://myspace.com/rmpearl

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •