• Register
  • Help

Topic: Trombone Slide

Share/Bookmark

Trombone Slide

Hi,
    I've had gpo 2nd edition for a while now and i use Sibelius Notation software.
    I can't seem to get a convincing trombone slide is there a trick for doing this.
    When i tried, it became juddery near the end where the first note slides to the second.

Dan

Re: Trombone Slide

Hi Dan,
    If you have a sequencer (DAW), draw in the pitch bend in the midi track for the t-bone. I don't use notation software, so this is the way I would accomplish a reasonably realistic slide.
    Dan

T-bone slide with midi

The first part is without any reverb and you can hear the "not so perfect" grittiness, the second version is with reverb, and this grittiness is masked.

Quote Originally Posted by DPDAN
    Hi Dan,
    If you have a sequencer (DAW), draw in the pitch bend in the midi track for the t-bone. I don't use notation software, so this is the way I would accomplish a reasonably realistic slide. The best way is to use some sortof pitch correction/automation in the audio track, typically, the pitch correcting software will maintain the formant without making it sound mickey mousey.

Dan
    Dan's usual excellent advice. In notation programs slides are also probably best entered as MIDI data, not notation symbols. Not sure how far Robert has taken HP in the area of slides for Finale. Someone else would need to shed light on that.

Tom

This is also an instance where you need real knowledge of the real instrument to be sure that one can actually slide between the notes you're trying to slide between. There are actual physical break points in the air column of a real trombone slide, depending on pitch direction and slide direction.

For instance, when moving from F2 to G2 (fourth line F on the bass clef staff) - moving the slide from first position to fourth positon, there's a natural break in the air column making it impossible to get a continuous slide between the notes. There are ways around this by using alternate slide positions, and gets very complex.

Maybe this is more information than you asked for.
    juan

Juan, you are absolutely right.
    Since I am also one of those that is not accurately familiar with all the little quirks of many instruments, I am probably guilty of making mistakes in my renderings because of this.

Dan

Quote Originally Posted by DPDAN
    Juan, you are absolutely right.
    Since I am also one of those that is not accurately familiar with all the little quirks of many instruments, I am probably guilty of making mistakes in my renderings because of this.

Dan
    I intend to deal with such issues when I finally get the low brass tutorial done.
    While Juan is basically right in his statement, I will show some "stupid trigger tricks" that can be used to work around some limitations of the triggerless horn.

Also--100% true legato on a slide instrument is VERY difficult to achieve--unlike a valve instrument player, the trombonist cannot simply "blow through" a legato passage--there must be a slight tonguing action that coincides perfectly with the movement of the slide. Otherwise a "smear" will result. Trombone legato is highly dependent on the player's ability to make that tongue movement as light as possible and match the slide movement. That's why I play virtually no trombone in public, and that's why trombonists who double on euph are easy to spot unless they're very good.

If people were really interested in making great music, they'd abandon the trombone entirely in favor of the euphonium.

Euphonium=Greek word for "producer of beautiful sound"
    Trombone=Lower Blfglpian expression meaning "ripping sheet metal"

only kidding.
    Jim Williams
    Professor of Capitalism
    N9EJR
    Indianapolis Brass Choir
    All Your Bass Sus&Short Are Belong to Us.

Of course, triggers impart different timbres - sometimes very good players overcome this - and other players choose to emphasize it. Then there's the question of changing the shape of the chamber of one's mouth behind the teeth. And knowing when to tongue and when to let the natural break to occur, and if tonguing, the place in the mouth to place the tongue, the part of the tongue to place there, etc., etc.

Then there's the argument of whether one slides along and hits the notes on the fly, or stops the slide slightly at the correct positon for each note.

All of which, while in school, led to many arguments with my girlfriend about which instrument was harder to play - my trombone or her violin. At least we had fun making up.
    juan

To do a trombone slide in sibelius:
    1. Place the initial note. (It will slide during the duration of this note)
    2. Place the note to end on.
    3. Click the initial note.
    4. (It's either shift and click or ctrl and click) the note you are ending the slide on. This should select the two notes you entered.
    5. Go to Create and choose lines.
    6. I typically add in a glissando (line with gliss. over it), it works.
    7. After adding the glissando, try listening to your piece.
    Colton J. Provias
    Film Score Composer, Location Sound Mixer, and Sound Editor
    Full-stack Web Developer

Thank-you all for your wise words,
    This information was most helpful and i now enjoy writing for the trombone.
    I know little about trombones, i know more about valved instruments as i play the trumpet Myself, and i'm studying other valved instruments at the moment.

Go Back to forum