• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Lower range of notes disappearing in JABB

Share/Bookmark

Lower range of notes disappearing in JABB

So I set up a new song using Finale 2007b and GPO JABB, ya know? And I loaded up a set of instruments for a JAZZ type song. Only thing is, before I start, all the instruments sound just fine, but when I start playing back notes for a Jazz Fretted Bass line I lose the bottom octave of the available notes. When I go back to GPO and see what's up I find that the bottom octave is silent, and the rest of the notes have lost their tone. Instead of a nice full sounding bass I get a twangy type sound instead. I reload the instrument again and it sounds fine in GPO until I go back to Finale and try to play the line again. No sound in the bottom octave range again. Yes, I've tried fiddling with the velocity and modulation but to no avail. Same problem. Anyone run across this problem before? The electric guitar has the same problem. I have all the latest patches on for GPO and JABB and also for Finale 2007.
    Writing music for the joy of it. (with Windows 7 64bit, Intel i7 processor, 12GB memory, LOTS of disk space, Finale 2014, Garritan GPO, JABB3, COMB, Steinway, World Instruments, & Soundiron Olympus Micro Choir. And if I ever figure out how to use Sonar X2...the sky's the limit)

Re: Lower range of notes disappearing in JABB

Quote Originally Posted by Mitch Manthe
    So I set up a new song using Finale 2007b and GPO JABB, ya know? And I loaded up a set of instruments for a JAZZ type song. Only thing is, before I start, all the instruments sound just fine, but when I start playing back notes for a Jazz Fretted Bass line I lose the bottom octave of the available notes. When I go back to GPO and see what's up I find that the bottom octave is silent, and the rest of the notes have lost their tone. Instead of a nice full sounding bass I get a twangy type sound instead. I reload the instrument again and it sounds fine in GPO until I go back to Finale and try to play the line again. No sound in the bottom octave range again. Yes, I've tried fiddling with the velocity and modulation but to no avail. Same problem. Anyone run across this problem before? The electric guitar has the same problem. I have all the latest patches on for GPO and JABB and also for Finale 2007.
    Just a guess (I don't own JABB): are these instruments KeySwitched (KS)? If yes, then maybe (probably) you picked the wrong KeySwitch. Read up on Keyswitches in the manual.

Nope, I didn't choose the keyswitched instruments.
    Writing music for the joy of it. (with Windows 7 64bit, Intel i7 processor, 12GB memory, LOTS of disk space, Finale 2014, Garritan GPO, JABB3, COMB, Steinway, World Instruments, & Soundiron Olympus Micro Choir. And if I ever figure out how to use Sonar X2...the sky's the limit)

It sounds like it has something to do with the instrument transpositions. Did you use the setup wizard to create this score? If so, Finale will create a transposing staff for both the bass and guitar. Meaning the pitch will sound an octave lower than written. If you change your score to concert pitch view, you'll be viewing the exact pitches being played. See if that makes a difference.

JT

Nope, I always work in Concert Pitch. The problem is not unique to Finale. I've had the same problem in Steinberg Cubasis VST (although it was using an exported Finale MIDI file). The lower octave starts out working just fine but disappears after a bit. Don't know when exactly. Am looking for a way to look at midi data created from Finale.

Quote Originally Posted by Mitch Manthe
    Am looking for a way to look at midi data created from Finale.
    You have Cubasis, right? And Cubasis has a Piano Roll editor and an Event List editor.

Yah, I have Cubasis and am still learning how to use it. I also have Sonar Home Studio if I can get it to work again. May have to reinstall Sonar HS. It used to work for me just fine.

Is it just me or does it sound like my PC is slowly starting to deteriorate????? Better start my backups!

Quote Originally Posted by Nickie Fønshauge
    You have Cubasis, right? And Cubasis has a Piano Roll editor and an Event List editor.
    I have Cubasis VST not the normal Cubasis with all the bells and whistles. Cubasis VST is a scaled down version of Cubasis that has limited capabilities as far as I can tell and I can't look at any of the actuall midi data other than the notes. I don't see any of the Midi Control Characters.
    Another thing I found out is that once the instrument loses the lower octave, if I save the current GPO Studio file then close GPO and reload, all the instruments are back to normal until it gets corrupted again. I am still experimenting to see if I can tell what is causing the problem but it sure is fun shooting in the dark.
    Good thing I'm a patient man or I'd soon be a mental patient.

I used Cubasis VST 4 for a while after I bought GPO. In the Piano Roll editor ("Key Edit") you can edit CC's in the controller pane below the note pane. You can only view/edit one CC at a time. To view and edit everything - lock stock and barrel - at once, open the Event List editor ("List Edit").

Figures, it was right there in front of my face and I didn't even see it. Thanks!

Go Back to forum