• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: New rendering, first two parts piano concerto

Share/Bookmark

All three parts ready, finally!!!!

Hi Folks,

the whole concerto is finished now. In a reply I promised to make it about 10 minutes, but pity me, the notes were sold out. I searched at the wholesales market, but nobody seemed to have some spare ones. It is told that Larry A. took them all

Hope you enjoy it.....

Already presented:
    Concerto for piano and orchestra - part 1

Concerto for piano and orchestra - part 2

New:
    Concerto for piano and orchestra - part 3

Remark: the piano is The Grand 2 - Steinberg

Greetings and enjoy it,

Raymond - now going for a short holiday
    Last edited by Raymond62; 03-10-2007 at 09:48 AM. Reason: adding a new part to the concerto

Re: New rendering, first two parts piano concerto

I'll let others discuss the technicals, Raymond.

Some gorgeous piano writing in these! I have
    listened to both movements with pleasure and admiration.

(The Garritan Steinway should be along soon; which will
    undoubtedly be a slice of heaven for you!)

Wonderful fireworks in the first movement; but I like-
    wise delighted in the gentle lyricism of the second.

My best,

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Raymond,

You have really put your best foot forward here. I love the nice dramatic moments at the opening and real fireworks show on the piano. You have obviously put a huge effort in this and it shows.

Gary

www.garybricault.com

I say this without any measure of disrespect for any of the other composers on this site, but I love these movements of your piano concerto better than any that I have heard. Again, that is not to say that other have not written things that I love as well, but these are they types of concerti that I strive to create. The first movment is stunningly beautiful, exceedingly masterful and should be ranked with the likes of Camille Saint-Saens, Brahams, Chopin, Rachmanninov and Peter Ilyich. I have a twenty-five year love affair with piano concerti. I have heard everyone that has been written and recorded. I have recordings of most. When I lived in Los Angeles every ticket I purchased to hear the Los Angeles Phil had a piano concerto printed on it.

You must pour yourself into completing this concerto. It has all the makings of being one of the worlds great concertos. After listening to these two samples of your work I would give you the same admiration and respect of each of the composers that I mentioned above. If I were a young aspiring pianist I would want this as a part of my repertoire.

As an aspiring composer I have written three movements for my first concerto. Since listening to yours I now realize that I have only written the shell, a mere draft of the final product. Just when I thought it was complete and only needed minor editing, I now realize that I have quite a lot to add, subtract and rewrite. You have raised the bar for me and have shown me what excellence is capable of. Thank you.

Which version of Sonar are you using?

etLUX, Gary and Samantha,

many thanks for your compliments. It really became part of my life at a daily basis. Not only the mastering but also the composition itself. Samantha, you mentioned Saint-Saëns, Rachmaninoff and others, they are my favourites. But one day I will write another modern (tonal) one.

This concerto is dedicated to my, yet unborn, grandson and I really must finish it before the actual birth. At the same time I didn't want him to dive into those modern sounds of Cage, less Prokofiev, Vainberg and others. When he grows up learning to appreciate music he will hear other (a)tonal settings during his life automatically.

Samantha, I use Sonar 5 Producer, but I think I will go for Sonar 6 or Cubase. I am not sure yet. The sketches of the third part are already there, now it is time to mould them into a decent piece of music (still 4 months to go).

After my morning coffee... off I go for another day composing...

Raymond

Raymond,

As someone who has had no real musical training other than been shown a few guitar chords as a teenager, I, thought I more than most needed to use sampled instruments simply to create a wash of realistic band members to play along with. Therefore when I hear someone of your talent as a composer so concerned about the length of a reverb tail etc. it makes me sit up and take notice. I would have thought the greatest moment for you would be playing and/or hearing a performance of this work by a REAL orchestra. I know it may be controversial to say so on this forum, but my opinion is that no matter how good GPO, JABB, Strad etc get, they still cannot match the REAL thing. Anyway I’m enjoying your work immensely and will be looking out for more.

Ray

Raymond,

Very ambitious and very well conceived. The dialogue between the soloist and orchestra is well done. The gravity of the material is matched by the sweep and virtuosity of the piano part. It feels quite organic and coherent.

Great job!
    Ron Pearl

ronaldmpearl.com

myspace:

http://myspace.com/rmpearl

Hey Raymond,

I'm currently listening to your piece on a cheap set of pc speakers so I cannot comment on the mix/reverb but I'm truly digging the composition. The time and energy that went into this is both obvious and amazing. I might actually have something usefull to say when I get to hear this on my monitors next week but for now I can only say 'thanks a lot for writing this'.

Hi Raymond,
    What a wonderful gift this will be for your Grandson. Your a master craftsman at the piano concerto. Great work ... As far as the rendering and re-verb and such; I went through a similar period months back with my recordings. As of now I have a master template set for everything I write. Basically, I found my favorite recording by one of my favorite composers with the score; found passages for each individual instrument and/or group. I then, the best I could, matched my instruments with what I heard which includes panning, seating, re-verb, EQ, etc. I did the best I could and I'm going to stick with the result I have now. I really don't want to over analyze it. As far as my re-verb goes I use a very old program from the 90's that does a fairly good job as far as I know.
    Anyway, I just wanted to let you know that I've been there and think your doing the right thing and your work sounds very professional. Thanks for sharing all this.

Michael
    "...Wiktor's a Jekyll-Hyde personality..." - Lycos Music
    http://www.miserymadebeautiful.com

Quote Originally Posted by Raymond62
    etLUX, Gary and Samantha,

many thanks for your compliments. It really became part of my life at a daily basis. Not only the mastering but also the composition itself. Samantha, you mentioned Saint-Saëns, Rachmaninoff and others, they are my favourites. But one day I will write another modern (tonal) one.

This concerto is dedicated to my, yet unborn, grandson and I really must finish it before the actual birth. At the same time I didn't want him to dive into those modern sounds of Cage, less Prokofiev, Vainberg and others. When he grows up learning to appreciate music he will hear other (a)tonal settings during his life automatically.

Samantha, I use Sonar 5 Producer, but I think I will go for Sonar 6 or Cubase. I am not sure yet. The sketches of the third part are already there, now it is time to mould them into a decent piece of music (still 4 months to go).

After my morning coffee... off I go for another day composing...

Raymond
    I downloaded a trial version and did not have a single clue how to use the thing. I did manage to import a orchestral file and it was full of clicks and odd noises. I fealt dumb as rocks with this software. I uninstalled the tiral, but kept the download on my desktop. I need to find out if I am capable of using this type of program before I shell out money on them. Any suggestions.

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast