• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 10 1234 ... LastLast

Topic: Ever tried windows XP 64 bits ?

Share/Bookmark

Ever tried windows XP 64 bits ?

Apparently, Windows XP 64 bits does support more than 4 gb of ram, to a maximum of 16 TB ( wow ! )

So my question : why people use the multiple computers/network method instead of this one ?
    What are the inconvenients of using XP 64 bits ?
    Is Cubase SX 3 working on XP 64 bits ? Same question for the East West VST instruments ( EWQLSO, RA, etc.. )

Thanks !

Re: Ever tried windows XP 64 bits ?

I don't think NI has any 64 bit products yet. Not even Kontakt 2 and certainly not the older Kompakt engine, that hosts some (all?) of the EW libraries. It is a different story with the libraries they move to their new player.

Yeah but Microsoft says 32 bits applications still work on XP 64 bits.
    And a friend of mine told me 32 bits applications on XP 64 bits can use more than 4 GB of ram. What's the truth ?

Your friend's got to be wrong. If XP64 could indeed use more than 4 GB ram (or 2,5 GB, or whatever the limit for one machine is), I think people in here would be the first to find out. And since nobody has talked about it, I doubt it's true.

Yeah, i don't know.

XP64 can use more than 4 GB , in fact it can use 16 GB of ram !
    You need a 64 bits CPU processor .

Cubase SX3 ( and the following versions ) is XP 64 compatible, i just saw on a website. Since it's the host of the VST plugins, i wonder if the VST plugins like the east west ones could use more than 2 GB of ram ( since they are 32 bits applications ) .

Hope someone with a 64 bits cpu processor tested this

I use it and really haven't noticed much benefit. Yes, they say that you can use up to 4 GB of RAM, but in my case, it's limited by Sonar, Kontakt etc. I can still only get up to the 2GB limit. It's also difficult to find drivers for some things. I'm sure that the next few months will bring updates that will open up it's full potential. (I'm hoping anyway) I do have 64 bit processors. The 32 bit applications still work fine. (GPO,EW etc. etc.)

A single 32-bit application cannot access more memory than the size of the address space (a bit over 4GB), even when using a 64-bit operating system. Period.

Now, multiple INSTANCES of the same 32-bit application may each access their own 32-bit address space if they can run concurrently on a 64-bit OS.

The exception is that some specific high-end 32-bit server products such as SQL server can use memory windowing (called AWE or Address Windowing Extensions) to access more than 4GB of memory running on x86 (32-bit) Windows Server 2003, but I don't recall any music-related applications using AWE functionality at this time.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnCarter
    why people use the multiple computers/network method instead of this one ?
    What are the inconvenients of using XP 64 bits ?
    My assumption is that although one may have twice as much RAM, one still needs equally much - if not more - processing power to handle all those amounts of data, which in the case of 64 bit has twice the wordlength. That's four times the workload on the processor - in theory.

The inconveniances I've heard of is some conflicting with software, where not many hardware drivers support 64-bit - which limits ones choice of hardware as well. The other inconveniance I've heard about is "64-bit may be better for multimedia, but she doesn't dance worthy of the entry fee".
    Kid: When I become an adult I wanna be a musician.
    Parent: Son, you cannot become both.

My assumption is that although one may have twice as much RAM, one still needs equally much - if not more - processing power to handle all those amounts of data, which in the case of 64 bit has twice the wordlength. That's four times the workload on the processor - in theory.
    According to Noel of Cakewalk this is not true. The x64 bit processors are are designed to handle the 64 bit wordlength as it is it's native mode so their is no hit on the processor.

32 bit VST's are still limited to 2 GB even in x64 Windows. In the case of Sonar, you use Bitbridge to allow you to use 32 bit VST's. Each instance of Bitbridge can only use 2 GB but according to a post on the Cakewalk forum you can load multiple instances of Bitbridge to access more memory.

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Haydn
    According to Noel of Cakewalk this is not true. The x64 bit processors are are designed to handle the 64 bit wordlength as it is it's native mode so their is no hit on the processor.
    Hm? 64 bits means data consisting of twice the amount of integers in my mind. that should need twice the amount of calculations as well - in a perfect world. If this is not so, then I'm puzzled ...
    Kid: When I become an adult I wanna be a musician.
    Parent: Son, you cannot become both.

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 10 1234 ... LastLast