• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Art Vista Virtual Grand?

Share/Bookmark

Art Vista Virtual Grand?

Well I just ordered this piano & just heard a couple guys in one of the groups say the piano was so out of tune that it was annoying.
    I listened to the demos & though I don't have the greatest ears, it sounded in tune to me. Can anyone familiar with this piano sound comment on what I've heard.

Gary

Re: Art Vista Virtual Grand?

Do a search on this and other forums and you'll find a lot of fans of this piano. I'm one of them! I like this piano a lot!

Quote Originally Posted by DKeenum
    Do a search on this and other forums and you'll find a lot of fans of this piano. I'm one of them! I like this piano a lot!
    I've read quite a few good posts so far on this piano but its funny how the bad ones seem to ring out a lot louder. Sound is very subjective but not tuning, so it really bothered me to hear that.

Gary

Hi Gary,

I've used this piano many times with great results. If you liked the demos, I'm sure you'll like the VSTi. It does many things well, and has a lot of character. Having said that, it is not a bright rock piano. For that, you'll need to use something else, IMO

Let us know what you think of it after you've used it a bit.

Regards,

Jim
    RealSax.com "When you need real sax in your tracks."
    http://www.realsax.com

I really love the Art Vista piano too
    I think the "tuning question" here is a matter of taste..and the taste of the guy who tuned that piano in the first place!.. it is certainly not "out of tune", but there is a bit of beating on the unisons (this is a deliberate tuning technique, not everyone likes it , though).
    As for the sound itself.. it is a Steinway B (7 foot), and does actually sound a little shorter as regards the bass notes (don't expect to be hearing a 9-foot Steinway D!)
    Cubase 5.1 | Cubase 4.5.2 | Digital Performer 7.0 | Mac OSX 10.5.8 || Mac "MDD" dual 1GB | 1.75GB RAM | MOTU PCI-424/2408mk3 | MOTU MidiTimepice AV

It is warm emotional piano to play. I love it.
    Composer, Logic Certified Trainer, Level 2,
    author of "Going Pro with Logic Pro 9."

www.jayasher.com

Thanks Hans to give us such an inspiring instrument!

It's not out of tune, and I say that as a former piano technician. There are various ways to tune and the manner in which this piano was tuned is one of them.

It's a fine sample set if the timbre is what you're looking for. There is some ambience - that's for sure.

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by garyed
    Sound is very subjective but not tuning, so it really bothered me to hear that.
    I thing tuning is subjective, I mean, at least the way you like your piano tuned is subjective.

ArtVista tuning is questionable by those who like "very in tune unisons". For others, this kind of tuning give an unique shimmering sound...
    At the oposite, NI AKP steinway is very in tune, so much that perfect unison lovers are...in love, and some other don't like the "only one string" feeling.

Quote Originally Posted by Laurent
    I thing tuning is subjective, I mean, at least the way you like your piano tuned is subjective.

ArtVista tuning is questionable by those who like "very in tune unisons". For others, this kind of tuning give an unique shimmering sound...
    At the oposite, NI AKP steinway is very in tune, so much that perfect unison lovers are...in love, and some other don't like the "only one string" feeling.
    In fact going a little bit more ahead we can agree that each of the the strings has its one "response" when hitted by the hammer. Because the pitch is always slightly changing in time and does´nt stay at say 442 Hz and the gentle changes are at the level of 1/100. This phenomenon is for each string different, I mean how it evolute in time.

A simil could be 3 exact dimensioned candles and you burn all the three at the same time (no wind or air movement in the room). The first appearence is that the 3 candles have the same movement at the level of the flame but if you see with accurate attention you can see that each flame has its own movement from left to right, etc... Left: 441,98 Hz Right: 442,03 Hz for example.

So regardless that the technician will try to reach the perfect unison, in fact he tend to an optimal "unison" behavior. The result is a rich combination of three string creating these characteristic piano waves (a sort of natural and not looped slight chorus effect).
    In the case of Art Vista the 3 strings have been forced to have a separate pitch "per se" creating a more evident effect like chorus or shimmering sound as you said.

Just my 2 cents

Go Back to forum