• Register
  • Help

Topic: Sampletekk group buy: White Grand or 7CG Jr?

Share/Bookmark

Sampletekk group buy: White Grand or 7CG Jr?

I'm going to take advantage of the Sampletekk group buy tonight and am trying to decide between White Grand and 7CG Jr. I would like to get both of them but can't afford it.

I have listened to the demos of each and love them. Unfortunately, I am *completely* swamped at work this week and will not have an opportunity to try out the "1 octave plus all C's" demo's of them before the group buy closes.

So I'm looking for opinions from Worra himself plus other users of these libraries regarding which would likely suit my needs better. I play pop/rock and the samples will be used almost exclusively in a mix with drums, bass, guitars and strings. Think Billy Joel (though I can't play like him), Bob Seger, Lennon/McCartney to get an idea of my style. Given those considerations and the fact that I am dirt poor, which of the following options (listed in my current order of preference) would you recommend?

- White Grand ($59.50)
    - 7CG Jr.($24.50)
    - White Grand Jr. + 7CG Jr. ($59.50)

To what degree will the number of different velocity samples be noticable in the context of a mix? How about during solo play? Does the tone of one piano or another lend itself better to my style?

I know I sound like a spoonie and I'm sorry for that. That's not ordinarily my style. In this case, though, time is short and I simply won't have an opportunity this week to conduct as thorough an investigation as I would like on my own. I'd sure appreciate any advice.

Re: Sampletekk group buy: White Grand or 7CG Jr?

Quote Originally Posted by scadh1
    I'm going to take advantage of the Sampletekk group buy tonight and am trying to decide between White Grand and 7CG Jr. I would like to get both of them but can't afford it.

I have listened to the demos of each and love them. Unfortunately, I am *completely* swamped at work this week and will not have an opportunity to try out the "1 octave plus all C's" demo's of them before the group buy closes.

So I'm looking for opinions from Worra himself plus other users of these libraries regarding which would likely suit my needs better. I play pop/rock and the samples will be used almost exclusively in a mix with drums, bass, guitars and strings. Think Billy Joel (though I can't play like him), Bob Seger, Lennon/McCartney to get an idea of my style. Given those considerations and the fact that I am dirt poor, which of the following options (listed in my current order of preference) would you recommend?

- White Grand ($59.50)
    - 7CG Jr.($24.50)
    - White Grand Jr. + 7CG Jr. ($59.50)

To what degree will the number of different velocity samples be noticable in the context of a mix? How about during solo play? Does the tone of one piano or another lend itself better to my style?

I know I sound like a spoonie and I'm sorry for that. That's not ordinarily my style. In this case, though, time is short and I simply won't have an opportunity this week to conduct as thorough an investigation as I would like on my own. I'd sure appreciate any advice.
    Your computer specs might be relevant.

jeffn1
    For original progressive electronic rock influenced by J.S. Bach and (old) Rush, check out: www.soundclick.com/jeffreynaness.

Quote Originally Posted by jeffn1
    Your computer specs might be relevant.

jeffn1
    Sorry, should have thought of that. Here are the important specs:

Intel Core 2 Duo E6400 processor
    ASUS P5B Deluxe P965 motherboard
    2gb Corsair XMS2 DDR2-800 memory
    Seagate Barrcuda 7200rpm SATA3.0gb/s hard drives (320gb sample, 80gb system)

Hi:

I know that it is a matter of taste and opinion, but I think the white grand is one of the best bright pianos, out there. I have TBO and 7CGjr, and think they are great libraries, but still prefer the sound of the WG. My other favorite is the BG. If you want something that shines through a mix, go for WG. You could always get the 7CG later, as I am sure worra will have more sales later this year. Any way got to go, I got to get the Emperor before the sale ends.

Dd

Dd: Get back to us and let us know your opinion of the Emperor as compared to WG, 7Cs etc.
    JP

Scad: I use Macs so I don't really understand your specs but none of the pianos you are considering are nearly as CPU intensive as TBO of the full 7CS. AS for the style you mentioned I would vote for the WG. I doubt 7CG would cut through the mix as well. A word of caution: the WG might sound a bit thin when played solo but its this same quality that makes it sit so well in a pop/rock mix. AS for the JR package, I'm sure it would work to get you started but my hunch is that after using them awhile, you will be anxious to upgrade them.
    I would get the WG in your position.
    JP

Just ordered White Grand.
    Best,
    Justus

Thanks for the recommendations. White Grand was also my leading contender. I ended up not buying last night hoping that Worra and others would offer their opinions. I still hope they will but I'm buying something tonight either way.

Go Back to forum