• Register
  • Help

Topic: Question about Network Switches and Routers

Share/Bookmark

Question about Network Switches and Routers

I'm setting up a new computer to run as a VI slave machine. The computer will be networked with my main DAW. My question has to do with keeping the computer updated: if I just want to use a network switch (instead of a full broadband router), will I still be able to automatically update the virus protection (in this case Avast Antivirus) and Windows automatic updates?

In other words, when you're using a switch, can the computer still update itself-- even though you can't access the internet from that particular slave networked machine?

Thanks if you have time to answer,
    Mahlon

Re: Question about Network Switches and Routers

Well, if you want the computer to update itself it needs to be connected to the internet. Not all the time, but anytime you want it to update. What's your goal? Keep it off the internet, for security reasons, until you want to update it? If you have 2 network cards in your DAW, then you can hook 1 to the internet and 1 to the new machine, which will keep the new machine completely separated from the internet. Then maybe just swap cables once in a while to let it update itself on the internet.

If your DAW has only 1 network card, then you have to hook both machines into a switch or router, which hooks up to the broadband. So the switch doesn't keep the 2nd machine off the internet. Now, most routers have configuration options where you can block a particular machine from getting out over the internet. You could set that up (if you have a router), and then just turn it off when you want to update.

Hope this helps some. What are you going for, exactly? You want it to be protected from the internet, but still be able to update? Or something else?

buzz

Re: Question about Network Switches and Routers

Thanks, buzzripper, for the help. I want the slave machine to be connected to the internet so that it can do automatic virus updates. I just wasn't sure if it would be connected if I use a switch. But I've set it up now and it works. I just can't "access" the internet from the slave machine -- which is fine, as I don't need to. I access the net from my main DAW.

Cable Moden in to DAW
    RJ45 from DAW to SWITCH
    RJ45 from SLAVE to SWITCH

Thanks again,
    Mahlon

Go Back to forum