• Register
  • Help

Topic: TV Script: Form?

Share/Bookmark

TV Script: Form? ( like screenplay? )

Hi there,

Is there a generic form for a TV script ( the written words for the actors, scene changes etc. ) that should be followed (i.e. the layout on paper) in order to make a presentation?

If anyone can point me to an on line resource I'd be grateful.

Found what I needed here:
    http://www.simplyscripts.com/tv.html

Current scripts to pop shows.
    Great Site!

Re: TV Script: Form?

I don't think there is one. Every presentation should stand for itself.
    Be original with it. However, be sure to let them show/hear the essential parts. This way, they know that you are capable of adding the vibe into the music, thus letting the music do the communication of the feelings.

Thanks teebones, but I'm not talking about the music.

I mean the written form. I assume it's similar to how a screenplay is layed out. Page formating etc.

Scripts are different from show to show.

Some shows, take House for example, use a format identical to feature screenwriting. But even in House, which seems fairly orthodox, there are some differences. For instance, they keep track of how many days have passed by inserting this in the slugline of every scene that begins a new day (i.e., first scene is DAY 1, maybe by the first act break we're two days in, so the first scene in that second day will have DAY 2 in the slugline). Furthermore, style is the big way in which House differs from standard screenplay formatting. Fittingly enough, the writing is very sarcastic and breaks lots of screenwriting "rules" - i.e., they'll write things in there that you can't actually film with a camera, like a character's thoughts, even though scripts are "supposed" to be visually oriented.

Other shows, like Family Guy (and most sitcoms), use a bizarre, proprietary format with weird particulars (especially with regards to formatting dialogue) that is very difficult to read, write, and logically defend.

If you're trying to write a spec, I have access to bajillions of current scripts and could get you one from the show you're trying to write, to help you out.

If you were just curious or are writing original material or whatever... well, for dramas just use standard screenplay formatting, and for sitcoms... choose one you like and copy it. They can vary quite a bit.

-Tom

Thanks Tom. Interesing info.

A friend and I are toying with the idea for an original, so after seeing the pilot scripts for "Ugly Betty" "Men in Trees" and "Studio 7 - Sunset Strip" we'll probably just stay within the boundries that are abvious in those.

I just watched the Ugly Betty pilot and had the script in had as it went by.
    Pretty cool!

Thanks!

Go Back to forum