• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: So is the Intel Mac version ready?

Share/Bookmark

So is the Intel Mac version ready?

I've just listened to the demos of GPO. The comparison one was just amazing

I tried reading the "where are we at" thread but I can't see the wood for the trees so a simple question (or two ........)

Is the Intel Mac version now available?

Does the requirement for a sound card apply to the Mac as I'm pretty sure there isn't one (although I'm fairly new to Macs and still haven't worked out what it has or hasn't got)?

How would I "see" GPO in Garageband? At the moment I simply have a list of instruments I choose from and I'm confused with the talk of the Kontakt player and what that does.

Will it work with GB and Logic Express?

I have a new 1.83ghz iMac with 1GB of ram and a 250 GB disk. Will GPO run on that spec?

Cheers

Dick

Re: So is the Intel Mac version ready?

Quote Originally Posted by Dickl
    It has not been announced available yet. You can, however, load it in Kontakt 2.2, which can run on Intel Macs.

I have a new 1.83ghz iMac with 1GB of ram and a 250 GB disk. Will GPO run on that spec?
    You will not be able to load a lot of instruments with only 1 GB RAM.

Thanks Nickie,

I'm still confused about the Kontact 2 player. How does that interface with GB or Logic?

Cheers

Dick

Thanks Nickie,

I'm still confused about the Kontact 2 player. How does that interface with GB or Logic?

Cheers

Dick
    Dick, I don't know GB and Logic, as I am a PC user. I just told you what I know about GPO and Kontakt 2 in general. Sorry.

No problems, thanks anyway :-)

Cheers

Dick

Now, I have been talking with a tech (salesperson) from SweetWater and from what I understood the Mac Intel is ready. Actually have that on a list of equipment for my studio. Around $2990.
    Styxx

No. Any Day Now. Garritan is waiting for Native Instruments (in Berlin, Germany) to finish encoding the Garritan libraries into the format needed for Kontakt Player 2.2.

Does the requirement for a sound card apply to the Mac
    That depends on which model of Mac you have. Does it have an analog input for a microphone, and an analog output for speakers or headphones? If yes, you can do without a sound card. But if you're doing any professional work regarding audio, you'll want an external audio interface that uses USB 2.0 or FireWire. There is a huge range of models and prices depending on your needs.

How would I "see" GPO in Garageband? At the moment I simply have a list of instruments I choose from and I'm confused with the talk of the Kontakt player and what that does.
    You can use the Audio Unit version of the Garritan Player in GarageBand, but you can only address one instrument at a time. GarageBand, being an entry-level product, does not support third-party multi-timbral instruments.

Will it work with Logic Express?
    Yes, Logic and Logic Express support addressing multitimbral Audio Unit instruments such as Garritan Personal Orchestra and Kontakt Player.

What is the model of processor in the iMac? Is it a G4, a Core Solo, or a Core Duo? Generally, yes, you can get a lot of work done with that setup, and 1GB will be sufficient for working with Garritan Personal Orchestra. For serious multi-track recording and playback, however, you will want an external FireWire hard drive.
    Wheat Williams
    Atlanta, Georgia, USA
    Music Copyist in Sibelius
    Apple MacBook Pro, Mac OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion
    Apple Certified Support Professional. I also work with Windows.

Yes, Logic and Logic Express support addressing multitimbral Audio Unit instruments such as Garritan Personal Orchestra and Kontakt Player
    But just to be clear: Logic Express will NOT allow you to play more than one GPO instrument at a time. It is no more functional in this respect than Garage Band. To play ensembles of individual instruments, you'll need Logic Pro or another sequencer like Digital Performer. I just went through this with Apple; their comparison charts between Pro and Express leave this little detail out. They (graciously) acknowledged their error and let me upgrade to Pro at a deep discount.

Quote Originally Posted by claysf
    Logic Express will NOT allow you to play more than one GPO instrument at a time. ... They (graciously) acknowledged their error and let me upgrade to Pro at a deep discount.
    Thank you for clarifying that point, and bully for you on getting the upgrade discount.

I have thought for some time that it would be a good idea for Garritan to recompile/develop and market GPO and now the GEM General MIDI library in native GarageBand format. But Garritan has not seen fit to do that. There is still no bona fide General MIDI support in GarageBand, not even from Apple's add-on products. Well, GarageBand is an entry-level program and it's free with every Mac purchase, so we can't expect it to be compatible with everything. It's an amazing program for what it does, and to date there's nothing comparable to it on the Windows platform, at any price.
    Wheat Williams
    Atlanta, Georgia, USA
    Music Copyist in Sibelius
    Apple MacBook Pro, Mac OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion
    Apple Certified Support Professional. I also work with Windows.

Quote Originally Posted by Wheat Williams

You can use the Audio Unit version of the Garritan Player in GarageBand, but you can only address one instrument at a time. GarageBand, being an entry-level product, does not support third-party multi-timbral instruments.

Yes, Logic and Logic Express support addressing multitimbral Audio Unit instruments such as Garritan Personal Orchestra and Kontakt Player.
    Wheat,

I maybe mis-interpreting what you are saying, but I can get several instruments - GPO at once in Garageband. A different Kontakt player comes up each time I load a different one, but they all play together. And nicely, too, but that's thanks to Gary

Maybe I'm not understanding the multi-timbral instruments part?
    Ron Pearl

ronaldmpearl.com

myspace:

http://myspace.com/rmpearl

Go Back to forum