• Register
  • Help

Topic: Shortnin' Fantasy

Share/Bookmark

Shortnin' Fantasy

This fantasy on Shortnin' Bread was much fun for me. I don't know what drove me to do it. Probably was due to a suggestion by David Sosnowski.

Shortnin' Fantasy

The mp3 uses GPO Steinway. Select it with the blue bar on top.

You can view the score and listen (gm playback) if you have the free Scorch plug in.

Richard

Re: Shortnin' Fantasy

Nicely done work for piano. Some interesting 'points of interest' in the variation. I am making the assumption that you created the piece by playing a midi keyboard into a sequencing program? I see mixtures of flats and sharps in the notation which makes the chord analysis a bit difficult. The lack of key signature (is it in C Major) also adds to defining the works tonality. The overall presentation is good, but a bit more dynamic and tempo variation would 'liven' up the piece. Since it is conceived for a solo instrument, this makes a bit more important to include some kind of 'color' change to make it more acceptable to the ear to follow. I've enjoyed many of your postings here and see a lot of work in this piece - and a lot of potential. Keep up the good work.

Quote Originally Posted by wrayer
    Nicely done work for piano. Some interesting 'points of interest' in the variation. I am making the assumption that you created the piece by playing a midi keyboard into a sequencing program? I see mixtures of flats and sharps in the notation which makes the chord analysis a bit difficult. The lack of key signature (is it in C Major) also adds to defining the works tonality. The overall presentation is good, but a bit more dynamic and tempo variation would 'liven' up the piece. Since it is conceived for a solo instrument, this makes a bit more important to include some kind of 'color' change to make it more acceptable to the ear to follow. I've enjoyed many of your postings here and see a lot of work in this piece - and a lot of potential. Keep up the good work.
    Thanks for your thoughts.

Is it in C Major? Well, sometimes. There is not a specific tonality defined, except for brief periods. Definitely not atonal, just a frequent shifting of tonality, sometimes bitonal. Definitely a C Major ending. Thus, it seemed that the precise correctness of accidentals was not essential.

I created the piece not by sequencer, but by much thought and a good bit of pencil, paper, (and the composer's friend, a good eraser). Computer entry was by various means.

Tempo and dynamic variations are certainly valid considerations. My outlook is to leave as much room as possible for the performer's artistic expression within the limitations of the expression included in the score. Much of the piece would please me more at a faster tempo, but I would hope to get someone to play it, thus expect a slower tempo. Actually, I am amazed that some of my faster and more complex pieces have been performed at a pretty good tempo (but not by me).

Richard

Darned tasty, Richard. Perhaps an album of
    folk-related pieces is in the offing?

Were it me, I think maybe, yes, I would look
    more at dynamics, tempi, and I think also the
    articulation of it -- though I agree with leaving
    performers a goodly degree of latitude, pianists
    in particular on a solo piece like this.

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Quote Originally Posted by etLux
    Darned tasty, Richard. Perhaps an album of
    folk-related pieces is in the offing?

Were it me, I think maybe, yes, I would look
    more at dynamics, tempi, and I think also the
    articulation of it -- though I agree with leaving
    performers a goodly degree of latitude, pianists
    in particular on a solo piece like this.

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com
    Well, it does seem that I am currently quite occupied with folk music!

Eventually, I will work on the dynamics, etc. but for now, it is all I can do to get it all down. One I have begun, it is hard to keep the score apace with my ideas. Sometimes the ideas come too fast.

Richard

Richard,

You always are keeping me amazed. How did you come up with this idea? Very interesting piece of music.
    Jun Yamamoto
    Tokyo, Japan
    http://jun.music.coocan.jp/
    MIDI AND SAMPLING TECHNOLOGY HAS OPENED AN ENTIRE NEW WORLD OF MUSIC!

Go Back to forum