• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 26

Topic: The Neuschwanstein Suite

Share/Bookmark
  1. #1

    The Neuschwanstein Suite

    Here is a short tame uncomplicated composition for orchestra I composed shortly before Christmas.

    Neuschwanstein is a famous fantastical-looking castle:



    Mov 1 - The Dance of the Ice Sprites -
    http://www.wizardwalk.com/music2/Neu...stein-Mov1.mp3

    Mov 2 - The Dance of the Woodland Sprites -
    http://www.wizardwalk.com/music2/Neu...stein-Mov2.mp3

    Mov 3 - Battle and Defeat of the Trolls -
    http://www.wizardwalk.com/music2/Neu...stein-Mov3.mp3

    It's nothing too dramatic, but it was fun to compose.
    Sean Patrick Hannifin
    My MP3s | My Melody Generator | my album
    "serious music" ... as if the rest of us are just kidding

  2. #2

    Re: The Neuschwanstein Suite

    I thoroughly enjoyed listening to your suite. It sounded like it could have been played right there in the halls of Neuschwanstein, perhaps here in this one:

    Beautiful music. Thank you!
    Kind Regards

    Louis Dekker
    My Music Site

    Pour être grand, il faut avoir été petit.

  3. #3

    Re: The Neuschwanstein Suite

    Schweeet suite!


    Three different movements each with their own character! Very nicely done.

    On your Ice sprites movement you have a nice little gallop going there and it reminds me of Leopold Mozart's Sleigh Ride. You might try adding some sleigh bells or some such tinkly color to add to the iciness of the piece. Or swap the marimba part for glockenspiel instead.


    I think I enjoyed the wood sprites movement best. There was a terrific mix of playfulness and shyness between your clarinets and the flute when this started and a unique sense of miniaturization in the theme. I especially liked how this seemed to "pan out" to include a bigger sense of the scene you were creating. Excellent development there! The addition of the marimba ostenato in this piece offered a rich organic nature to the setting and made it feel very woodsy and forested. It was a nice touch. For my money, you could end the this on a short (quarter note) tonic chord at about 2:36. The rest of it seems unnecessary imho.


    Last movement definitely starts as an epic troll battle but then moves to an almost Latin/Central American theme around :24 which shifts my whole thinking about the location about the piece. That, combined with the speed of the melodic rhythms, and I am no longer at the castle in Germany. I’m instead at a Mexican cockroach race!

    Battling trolls seems to need some "night on bald mountain" chords in the deep brass and strings. Maybe fortifying the sustained chords you have an octave (or two) lower would bring more fight and less flight to the piece.

    All in all though, this rocked! Very well done and enjoyable to listen to.

    Scott
    Experience what is necessary to build upon self character, for that is Life's most significant learning event.

  4. #4

    Re: The Neuschwanstein Suite

    Quote Originally Posted by Stephen McMahan
    Delightful! Good work!

    Stephen
    Thanks for listening Stephen!

    Quote Originally Posted by LouisD
    I thoroughly enjoyed listening to your suite. It sounded like it could have been played right there in the halls of Neuschwanstein, perhaps here in this one:


    Oooh, I bet that would have some nice reverb!

    Many thanks for your kind words!
    Sean Patrick Hannifin
    My MP3s | My Melody Generator | my album
    "serious music" ... as if the rest of us are just kidding

  5. #5

    Re: The Neuschwanstein Suite

    Quote Originally Posted by Scott McCallister
    On your Ice sprites movement you have a nice little gallop going there and it reminds me of Leopold Mozart's Sleigh Ride. You might try adding some sleigh bells or some such tinkly color to add to the iciness of the piece. Or swap the marimba part for glockenspiel instead.

    I think I enjoyed the wood sprites movement best. There was a terrific mix of playfulness and shyness between your clarinets and the flute when this started and a unique sense of miniaturization in the theme. I especially liked how this seemed to "pan out" to include a bigger sense of the scene you were creating. Excellent development there! The addition of the marimba ostenato in this piece offered a rich organic nature to the setting and made it feel very woodsy and forested. It was a nice touch. For my money, you could end the this on a short (quarter note) tonic chord at about 2:36. The rest of it seems unnecessary imho.


    I at first actually had it ending right around there, but it didn't sound right, it sounded like there would be something else right after... though I probably didn't do the most effective job of making the last minutes as interesting.

    Quote Originally Posted by Scott McCallister
    Last movement definitely starts as an epic troll battle but then moves to an almost Latin/Central American theme around :24 which shifts my whole thinking about the location about the piece. That, combined with the speed of the melodic rhythms, and I am no longer at the castle in Germany. I’m instead at a Mexican cockroach race!


    Sorry to transport you to Mexico! It must be that rapid staccato trumpet. Perhaps just changing the orchestration would yield a different feeling to the melody. Though I think really all we have to do is train children, the next generation, to associate fast trumpet melodies with German castles instead of Mexico...

    Quote Originally Posted by Scott McCallister
    Battling trolls seems to need some "night on bald mountain" chords in the deep brass and strings. Maybe fortifying the sustained chords you have an octave (or two) lower would bring more fight and less flight to the piece.


    Ah, yes, that would make for a more dramatic battle, I'll have to try that!

    Quote Originally Posted by Scott McCallister
    All in all though, this rocked! Very well done and enjoyable to listen to.
    Thank you for your feedback, I appreciate it! I am glad you enjoyed it!
    Sean Patrick Hannifin
    My MP3s | My Melody Generator | my album
    "serious music" ... as if the rest of us are just kidding

  6. #6

    Re: The Neuschwanstein Suite

    Sean, cool stuff,
    after seeing the picture of that castle, the music was perfect.

    Sounds like you are having some fun with GPO.

    Dan

  7. #7

    Re: The Neuschwanstein Suite

    Very nice stuff. I like how you worked and developed ideas. Lots of economy here. Thanks for posting.
    -Jay

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Penfield (Rochester), NY
    Posts
    1,719

    Re: The Neuschwanstein Suite

    Sean,

    Excellent work here. Each piece aptyl named with its own special personality. I like, I like!! Nice use of the GPO too.

    Gary

    www.garybricault.com

  9. #9

    Re: The Neuschwanstein Suite

    Very nice work, Sean!

    The attached image is indeed a terrific source of inspiration.

    All three arrangements tie in nicely with each other. I'm particularly fond of your first movement...

    And there's a great deal of work here, would have taken me a very long time to construct... how long did you work on these?

    Great job!

    ~Jeff

  10. #10
    Senior Member fastlane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Shelton, Washington State
    Posts
    2,972

    Re: The Neuschwanstein Suite

    This was a fine effort. The music is very nice and the sound and execution are first rate. I think I liked the second movement the best but it may depend on one's mood at the time.

    Phil

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •