• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: GPO woodwind quintet

Share/Bookmark

GPO woodwind quintet

I was so inspired by some of the orchestral stuff I have been hearing on this forum, that I decided to try and write something using orchestral instruments. I chose a woodwind quintet (flute, oboe, clarinet, french horn,bassoon). I have never written for a woodwind quintet, so this is definately a learning experience for me. Please give a listen and tell me what you think. I would appreciate any input you can give me.
    Thanks -Jay

http://www.katejesse.com/woodwind.mp3

Re: GPO woodwind quintet

Hello, Jay

This is really lovely. Maybe someone classically trained and experienced with writing for woodwinds in a classical mode would have some particular notes for you, but my ears are uncritically delighted.

Thank you!

rbowser

Jay,

That is a nice little piece you have written. Did you have any particular idea in mind when you wrote the piece for the instruments or the other way around. It is well balanced and pleasent to listen to. You have applied the GPO instruments very nicely as well.

Gary

www.garybricault.com

Hi Jay

I have neither studied nor listened to many pieces written for woodwind but it sounds pretty good to me. As a first effort, first class!
    Lets hear some more.

Ray

Thanks to you all for listening and your comments.

rbowser - I did some listening to wind quintets and did some research on the ensemble to try and get the style down. It is different than , say strings, because you have to consider the players taking breaths periodically. It was fun taking a crack at it.

Gary- Some renderings that you have done are one of the reasons that I was inspired to try something like this out. I just tried to stay within the classical style when writing this.

Ray- Thanks for listening. I plan to do more things in this style. It is really fun to mess around with.
    -Jay

This is a fun little musing.

I think it is a valuable exercise to experiment with new sounds to "see what can be done" Letting yourself be inspired by the sound of the instrument you are using is a very effective tool for coming up with new material.

I got to meet Dave Grusin when I was in college and he said that he loved buying new synths because each one would offer up a few hundred more tunes inspired by the sounds of each new board.

Nice work!

Scott
    Experience what is necessary to build upon self character, for that is Life's most significant learning event.

Thanks for listening Scott. I think you are right, that the sound of the instruments help in the direction of ideas. I definately want to do some more experimenting.
    -Jay

Quote Originally Posted by jaynkate01
    Thanks to you all for listening and your comments.

Gary- Some renderings that you have done are one of the reasons that I was inspired to try something like this out. I just tried to stay within the classical style when writing this.

-Jay
    Jay,

A trip of the hat in your direction for the kind words. Keep those works coming. You are off to an excellent start.

Gary

www.garybricault.com

Hi Jay,
    This is so coincidental, just last night I watched a woodwind quintet on BYU. (Bringam Young University) channel on Direct TV. That channel has alot of great music from time to time.

It was the same exact instruments you choose for your piece.

One of the things that is so great about GPO is the limit of playable notes for each instrument. For instance, many synthesizer keyboards allow instruments to play way outside their expected range, like a piccolo playing two octaves below middle C, of course this is not possible. Most of the instruments in GPO allow us to learn alot about the "sound" and their intended range.

Good excercise!

Dan

I wish I could have seen the quintet perform, Dan. It is not surprising that the instrumentation was flute, oboe, clarinet, french horn and bassoon. From my research, I discovered that this is the traditional forum for the wind quintet sound. I was a fun thing to mess around with. Thanks for listening.
    -Jay

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast